Had my first pulmolnology appointment today

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
USMCVet

Had my first pulmolnology appointment today

Post by USMCVet » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:26 am

I had my appointment today because despite using CPAP I still get shortness of breath, dizziness, and chest pain and have had some issues with oxygen at night which more pressure has seemed to fix for now and it's even improved my daytime 02.

They did a spirometry test before appointment as well. The Dr. Said she was a surprised by the results from spirometry. Her thoughts based on my symptoms and answers to her questions led her to think I might have asthma but the spirometry test shows I may have a restrictive issue.

In a couple weeks I go back for a full pulmolnary function test that should take an hour to do.

Any suggestions and questions I should have for my next appointment? She is also going to give me an everyday inhaler to use and see if it makes any difference over the course of a month.

If PFT still comes back abnormal then stress echo and maybe chest CT are in my future.

klm49

Re: Had my first pulmolnology appointment today

Post by klm49 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:24 pm

USMCVet wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:26 am
I had my appointment today because despite using CPAP I still get shortness of breath, dizziness, and chest pain and have had some issues with oxygen at night which more pressure has seemed to fix for now and it's even improved my daytime 02.

They did a spirometry test before appointment as well. The Dr. Said she was a surprised by the results from spirometry. Her thoughts based on my symptoms and answers to her questions led her to think I might have asthma but the spirometry test shows I may have a restrictive issue.

In a couple weeks I go back for a full pulmolnary function test that should take an hour to do.

Any suggestions and questions I should have for my next appointment? She is also going to give me an everyday inhaler to use and see if it makes any difference over the course of a month.

If PFT still comes back abnormal then stress echo and maybe chest CT are in my future.
Sounds like COPS possibly. All it took for my PCP to tell me I had COPD was a lung X-Ray and the Spirometry. Hopefully its nothing serious.

edited: sorry I meant COPD

Last edited by klm49 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:17 pm

It sounds like you're finally in good hands. keep your appointments and do what the doctor says.

don't be surprised when she tells you the diagnosis. when i first had trouble breathing, my pcp gave me an inhaler and set me up with an old pulmo that only worked part days every other month. had 6 minute walk and breathing tests. diagnosis was asthma. that went on a while and i went and got a pulmonologist board certified in pulmonology, sleep medicine, internal medicine and critical care medicine. he ran me through with the x-rays, breathing tests and 6 minute walk. the diagnosis became asthma and COPD. COPD is a catch-all for a series of lung diseases. my COPD is both emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Chronic bronchitis is the one that gives me the most problems.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:25 pm

Thank you both.

I was thinking COPD before appointment myself. Dr thought asthma. Spirometry results show restrictive issues vs obstructive. I think technically that uses out asthma too but she wants to treat me with it to see if it helps. She said no diagnosis at this point but that's why I'm getting more tests.

The spirometry tech said I was lucky getting her as Dr and that I would like her. I really do and she seems smart and I think she will do a great job.

One thing that impressed too was when I asked how long to get results after next test. She said about a week or two but if I send her message in online account a couple days after test she will look for it instead of having it come to her which would take longer.

I thought she was very thorough. She said X-rays looked good to and explained what she was looking for.

Very happy with her.

Oh and without me bringing up VA she said that a lot of the patients she gets from there complain about never getting results even though she sends them to their doctors. She is going to send me a message with my results as well when they are interpreted.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:36 pm

Express your appreciation to the good ones--and to the ones who sign their checks.

klm49

Post by klm49 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:37 am

USMCVet wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:25 pm
Thank you both.

I was thinking COPD before appointment myself. Dr thought asthma. Spirometry results show restrictive issues vs obstructive. I think technically that uses out asthma too but she wants to treat me with it to see if it helps. She said no diagnosis at this point but that's why I'm getting more tests.

The spirometry tech said I was lucky getting her as Dr and that I would like her. I really do and she seems smart and I think she will do a great job.

One thing that impressed too was when I asked how long to get results after next test. She said about a week or two but if I send her message in online account a couple days after test she will look for it instead of having it come to her which would take longer.

I thought she was very thorough. She said X-rays looked good to and explained what she was looking for.

Very happy with her.

Oh and without me bringing up VA she said that a lot of the patients she gets from there complain about never getting results even though she sends them to their doctors. She is going to send me a message with my results as well when they are interpreted.
Hopefully it isn't COPD.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

ajack

Post by ajack » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:16 am

So glad you are getting it sorted. Getting a proper diagnosis is a big part of it.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:23 am

Thanks, 02 is dropping again when sleeping which honestly has me worried. Really hoping it's nothing serious but I'm starting to lose hope on that front.

ajack

Post by ajack » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:39 am

No guesses what I posted on your other thread :)

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:54 am

You have to treat your SDB, even if you have another condition such as COPD, asthma, or emphysema. Hopefully, none of those conditions will contraindicate CPAP or make it intolerable.

Also, if you need supplemental oxygen, you can get an interface that will allow the oxygen to enter into the mask, such as the one pictured below.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:05 am

D.H. wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:54 am
You have to treat your SDB, even if you have another condition such as COPD, asthma, or emphysema. Hopefully, none of those conditions will contraindicate CPAP or make it intolerable.

Also, if you need supplemental oxygen, you can get an interface that will allow the oxygen to enter into the mask.
I was on oxygen with with CPAP until titration study "fixed" my Hypoxemia while sleeping. I used the soclean2 adapter (i don't have the unit itself) to run oxygen into Humidifier so I didn't have to worry about another hose. I use heated hose and didn't want to run oxygen tune along it.

Dr. Seems to hope it's asthma and she sent prescription to VA Wednesday who hasn't signed off on it yet for an everyday inhaler to try. She was surprised that initial test looks like I have a restrictive issue and not obstructive. If that is the case it rules out COPD emphysema and asthma I think and leaves with potentially worse options.

She brought up possibility of pulmolnary hypertension depending on results of tests on 15th and only said it could be a few things but more tests need to be done for a diagnosis of anything.

Matt00926

Post by Matt00926 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:43 am

Was your chest x-ray clear of anything abnormal? Usually they look for any scarring of the lungs, and/or if the pulmonary arteries or ventricles of the heart are enlarged.

What test did you have done on the 15th? The full pulmonary function test?

What tests have you had done so far? Have you done an echo cardiogram?
Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus FFM

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:57 am

Chest X-ray was done 6 months ago. Only thing noted was that my lungs weren't as full as should of been but also could of been caused by x-ray being taken at wrong time if I wasn't still holding breath.

Last week I had spirometry which showed mild abnormality suggesting restrictive issue not obstructive. She did say when she looked at back of throat there wasn't much room back there and couldn't imagine if I still had tonsils.

On the 15 th I go back for full pulmolnary function tests that will take about an hour.

She looked at results from my last stress echo from 3 years as well and things looked good then.

So depending on upcoming PFT's she may order another echo or CT.

Matt00926

Post by Matt00926 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:16 am

The complete Pulmonary Function Test (PFT) should tell more. A clear x-ray is a good thing. It sounds like your doctor is pretty open with communication. More information is definitely needed, before any "jump to conclusions" diagnosis can be made! :mrgreen:
Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus FFM