Mask fit 100% (or nearly) - but wake up with dry mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
D.H.

Mask fit 100% (or nearly) - but wake up with dry mouth

Post by D.H. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:32 am

First of all, let me state that my mask fit is usually 100% according to DreamMapper. When it's not 100%, it's in the high 90's. According to SleepyHead it's a bit less, but only for relatively short spells.

I also need to state that I take Ditropan for a urinary problem, so that also could result in dry mouth.

Since the problem does not appear to be leaking, a FF mask does not appear to be called for. I think that my mouth is open, but no CPAP air is escaping. I'm, using the humidifier at the max with a heated hose. The reservior is seldom empty in the morning (since I generally refill it at night at least once).

ChicagoGranny

Re: Mask fit 100% (or nearly) - but wake up with dry mouth

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:29 pm

Do you have a question?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:41 pm

I think his question, is why don't I use a FF Mask, but maybe it's why do I use Sleepmapper when I have better software. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:25 pm

Almost for sure the problem's the Ditropan... but you can use things like Biotene to help I believe - ask your pharmacist.

Chilibit

Post by Chilibit » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:58 pm

Since you don't seem to 'need' to breathe through your mouth, could you tape you mouth closed experimentally and see if the problem persists? I suspicion that it will. Less than a single night would be telling.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:19 pm

Thanks to Chilibit and Julie. Your comments are useful and to the point. I don't suspect that I need a FF mask since an open mouth (through which air escapes) does not seem to be the problem.

Ditropan is an issue. Damned if you do (dry mouth) and damned if you don't (wake up frequently to urinate).

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:09 pm

Well, but if your Cpap is working, you shouldn't have the problem and if you still do, have you seen a urologist lately?
Last edited by Julie on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:47 pm

I also suspect the meds as being primary culprit. You could of course tape your mouth one night just to totally rule out mouth leaking but I am betting it won't make much difference. From what I have read about dry mouth...meds is the number one cause.
And you can mouth breathe and not have it show up as a bad leak on the leak graphs...I have done it and have proof. See the report below.
I circled the known mouth breathing time and I was awake for sure. I happened to wake up one morning and I was mouth breathing. A nice gentle mouth breathing with no tornado of air exiting my mouth. I decided it would be a good time to see what that mouth breathing looked like on a leak graph. I expected it to be a lot bigger deal than it was. I did the mouth breathing for about 15 minutes until I decided to get up (needed to pee )
Mouth was dry somewhat but not horribly dry.

And while nocturia is a common symptom of sleep apnea...it isn't the only cause of nocturia and I assume that you probably have one of the other potential culprits. Yeah...damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Wonder if changing time of dosage might help or not?

Here's the known mouth breathing leak graph. I circled the time at the end of the night where I woke up and continued to mouth breathe just for experimental purposes.
Gentle mouth breathing..no massive exodus of air flowing out the mouth.
ResMed machine report so large leak red line is 24 L/Min. Never got remote close to it during the known mouth breathing time frame.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:10 pm

Julie wrote:Well, but if your Cpap is working, you shouldn't have the problem and if you still do, have you seen a urologist lately?
Yes, Ditropan was prescribed by a urologist. It does what it is supposed to. Unfortunately, dry mouth is a known side-effect.