SEIZURES WHILE ASLEEP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
connie57

SEIZURES WHILE ASLEEP

Post by connie57 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:00 pm

Has any one ever had what seems to be a seizure and is not epileptic in their sleep?? Would love some feed back.....Iam off to a sleep clinic tonight ...Hoping to get some answers.....

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:25 pm

I have read about them before in fact I was even tested for them by my Neuro after a stroke as they can sometimes appear post stroke.

kteague

Seizures in sleep

Post by kteague » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:21 am

I have not, but I had a friend a few years ago who kept waking up with sore muscles, as if she had exercised strenuously, but had not. Was real perplexed. Spent holiday weekend with family, who witnessed a seizure as she slept. Turns out she was using excessive amouts of artificial sweetener containing aspartame while dieting - even making her Kool-aid with huge amounts of it. Stopped the excessive usage, no more seizures. May be an isolated case, but thought I'd throw it out there since you asked.
Kathy

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:41 am

What may seem to be seizures in fact may be your body's 'release' of tension when coming out of an episode of sleep paralysis, something some people experience after awakening, but before arising (they can't, because they are effectively 'paralyzed' until it breaks). You need a neurologist to sort it out, not just a sleep tech.