Hazards of CPAP :-(

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Madalot

Re: Hazards of CPAP :-(

Post by Madalot » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:21 pm

I feel for you on this one! I had two herniated cervical disks years ago and the pain was astounding! My doctor did NOT want to operate and told me it could take up to 6 weeks before the pain subsided. And he was right - it was agony for almost the full 6 weeks but then it subsided.

Sometimes, being on the computer (using the mouse) too much will start to irritate it. I can feel it.

I hope you can endure it and the pain subsides.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:24 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:
MaxINTJ wrote:bury my face completely
This worries me. Sans CPAP, how can you breathe well in this position?
Realistically, when I do that, I shape my pillow(s) so that my nostrils are open to the air - either directly or through a small channel. The mask vents right at the front (stupid place IMHO) so if I get into that same position with the mask on it either leaks or the vent gets blocked, so I have to sleep differently.
if you don't have plastic pillow cases, then why do you think fabric and feathers blocks a vent?
After further reading, I am quite sure that having to turn my head while wearing the mask is what screwed up my neck.
Most folks necks turn without getting screwed up, perhaps you've got other, more fundamental problems.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:35 pm

palerider wrote:
if you don't have plastic pillow cases, then why do you think fabric and feathers blocks a vent?

Most folks necks turn without getting screwed up, perhaps you've got other, more fundamental problems.
It doesn't block the vent 100%, but it does pool expelled air and/or it blows back into my eyes. Really stupid place to put a vent - it should vent out the bottom like nostrils or out the top where the hose connects,

As for my neck, apparently my body decided on the absolute worst sleeping position. According to doctors it causes a lot of problems - unless the person is mostly face down. There is a reason chiropractic and massage tables have a cutout - turning the neck 90 degrees is bad for you.
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:42 pm

Madalot wrote:I feel for you on this one! I had two herniated cervical disks years ago and the pain was astounding! My doctor did NOT want to operate and told me it could take up to 6 weeks before the pain subsided. And he was right - it was agony for almost the full 6 weeks but then it subsided.

Sometimes, being on the computer (using the mouse) too much will start to irritate it. I can feel it.

With maximum doses of ibuprofen and tylenol, along with frequent heating pad use, I can mostly tolerate it when I'm awake - although sometimes the pain shoots through my arm and I just have to stop and grab it to apply pressure to get past the wave of pain.

However, NSAIDS do not last long (nor are they very effective for nerve pain), so I am unable to get more than a few hours of sleep. If I use a heating pad right before bed I can fall asleep (instantly), but the pain normally starts as soon as I get in any prone position.

I don't think most doctors (GPs) understand what nerve pain is like.

And, yeah, using a mouse or keyboard aggravates it really quickly - unfortunately, that's what I do for a living...

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:44 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:
Madalot wrote:I feel for you on this one! I had two herniated cervical disks years ago and the pain was astounding! My doctor did NOT want to operate and told me it could take up to 6 weeks before the pain subsided. And he was right - it was agony for almost the full 6 weeks but then it subsided.

With maximum doses of ibuprofen and tylenol, along with frequent heating pad use, I can mostly tolerate it when I'm awake - although sometimes the pain shoots through my arm and I just have to stop and grab it to apply pressure to get past the wave of pain.

However, NSAIDS do not last long (nor are they very effective for nerve pain), so I am unable to get more than a few hours of sleep. If I use a heating pad right before bed I can fall asleep (instantly), but the pain normally starts as soon as I get in any prone position.

I don't think most doctors (GPs) understand what nerve pain is like.

And, yeah, using a mouse or keyboard aggravates it really quickly - unfortunately, that's what I do for a living...
My situation was many years ago, before all the drug abuse. They gave me Percocet and Tramadol. And I still woke up during the night having to take more. I'm not sure I would have made it on only ibuprofen and tylenol.

You definitely have my sympathy on the pain aspect. I am so sorry.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Madalot wrote:
My situation was many years ago, before all the drug abuse. They gave me Percocet and Tramadol. And I still woke up during the night having to take more. I'm not sure I would have made it on only ibuprofen and tylenol.

They don't seem to want to give me anything worthwhile. I had Vicodin for a few days but that did nothing more than tylenol. In fact, while I had vicodin, I also had naproxen and was also taking tylenol, ibuprofen, and flexeril - all at the same time and was still waking up in pain.

I appreciate hearing from someone else who had this - lets me know I'm not just being a wuss - thanks!

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:55 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:
Madalot wrote:

They don't seem to want to give me anything worthwhile. I had Vicodin for a few days but that did nothing more than tylenol. In fact, while I had vicodin, I also had naproxen and was also taking tylenol, ibuprofen, and flexeril - all at the same time and was still waking up in pain.

I appreciate hearing from someone else who had this - lets me know I'm not just being a wuss - thanks!
Some nights, I just laid there and cried. And even on the "good" drugs, I still woke up part way through the night in agony. So no, you are not being a wuss about the pain. Been there, done that. And as soon as I feel the "twinge" from too much "mousing" I do whatever is necessary to stop it from becoming acute. I've even "moused" with my left hand!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:32 pm

MaxINTJ wrote:I appreciate hearing from someone else who had this - lets me know I'm not just being a wuss -
If you weren't in such pain, I would joke, "Or you finally found another wuss to commiserate with."

I ended up in the ER 2 weeks ago with severe arm and neck pain and an X-ray now shows a narrowing of the C5-C6 region.
Never having a problem of that nature, I had to look it up. I provide this link, but it sounds like you have already read way more than this. https://www.spine-health.com/conditions ... al-segment

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:41 pm

as a stomach sleeper I feel you.

If I were in such a pain or even remotely pain from my sleeping position, I would simply change that.
the funny things you put on your back to avoid sleeping on your beack do really work the same, if you put them on your stomach! (really)

uncomfortable? yeah - very much. THAT is the whole idea behind that. ... after about 3 months your body will get the message.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:55 pm

Guest wrote:as a stomach sleeper I feel you.

If I were in such a pain or even remotely pain from my sleeping position, I would simply change that.
the funny things you put on your back to avoid sleeping on your beack do really work the same, if you put them on your stomach! (really)

uncomfortable? yeah - very much. THAT is the whole idea behind that. ... after about 3 months your body will get the message.
They had buckles on my front for the sleep study, and they were uncomfortable - they ended up at my sides during the night.

I have thought about it, but that would just add to my 30+ disturbances per hour.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:06 pm

that is correct - but you would be able to wear the mask - which would reduce (significantly!) your "numbers"

let's face it: sleeping on your stomach is very bad! you top that with actually sleeping with your face in the pillow!
really, do something about that - anything!

DaisySmith

Post by DaisySmith » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:53 am

You basically said you cant learn how to change sleep positions right? Well I was a stomach sleeper my entire life until I got pregnant...very pregnant and it was either sleep on my sides or don't sleep at all. I learned very quickly to become a side sleeper and now after 2 babies I could never in a million years sleep on my stomach or even my back for that matter.

So yeah, you can change

Midnight Strangler

Post by Midnight Strangler » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:07 am

DaisySmith wrote:I could never in a million years sleep on my stomach or even my back for that matter.
DaisySmith wrote:So yeah, you can change
Uhhhh, didn't you just contradict yourself?