I've been using my CPAP for about 2 1/2 months now. I have only skipped about 4 nights during this time.
Before the CPAP I would fall asleep within minutes of going to bed and sleep through the night. I was not drowsy during the day and basically had no daytime symptoms.
When I first started with the CPAP it was terrible, I would wake up several times a night and wake up completely exhausted. Switching to a full mask and adjusting pressure hasn't really made any difference. I guess I'm just getting used to it. Now I feel almost as well rested when I use the CPAP as I did without it.
At this point I've given up on expecting to wake up refreshed and full of energy, but I am willing to stick with the CPAP if it is helping me medically. Is there some way to find out if this is actually doing me any good?
Thanks,
Jim
Wondering about the benefit
It's a little difficult when you don't have a machine that records nightly statistics.
What's your pressure setting?
You could ask your doctor for a prescription for an overnight pulse-oximetry study (which is free).
You take the prescription to the DME.....they give you a recording pulse-ox device and you clip the "thingie" on the end of the cable to your finger while you're sleeping. You then take it back to the DME. They download the data, print it out and send it to your doctor (ask them for another copy for yourself). That will tell if you're having oxygen desaturations at night. Anything below 88% can be problematic. It may also tell them if they need to change your pressure, add oxygen or other options.
Best wishes,
Den
What's your pressure setting?
You could ask your doctor for a prescription for an overnight pulse-oximetry study (which is free).
You take the prescription to the DME.....they give you a recording pulse-ox device and you clip the "thingie" on the end of the cable to your finger while you're sleeping. You then take it back to the DME. They download the data, print it out and send it to your doctor (ask them for another copy for yourself). That will tell if you're having oxygen desaturations at night. Anything below 88% can be problematic. It may also tell them if they need to change your pressure, add oxygen or other options.
Best wishes,
Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05
Thanks for the reply.
My pressure setting was originally 12cm, then it was lowered to 10cm, then back 12cm, now it's at 13cm.
So you're thinking that using the CPAP is causing my oxygen level to drop?
Like I said, I don't wake up completely exhausted anymore, but I don't see where this is any better than not using a CPAP.
I'm just hoping that there is some medical benefit even though there is not a "rest" benefit.
Thanks,
Jim
My pressure setting was originally 12cm, then it was lowered to 10cm, then back 12cm, now it's at 13cm.
So you're thinking that using the CPAP is causing my oxygen level to drop?
Like I said, I don't wake up completely exhausted anymore, but I don't see where this is any better than not using a CPAP.
I'm just hoping that there is some medical benefit even though there is not a "rest" benefit.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim.
No, I didn't mean that using CPAP could be causing a drop in oxygen levels.
What I mean was that the pulse-ox study will be able to tell how effective your treatment is.
You asked if there was some way of determining if it's doing you any good.....and that would be one way.
Our "recovery" time on CPAP can vary greatly from person to person.
Best wishes,
Den
No, I didn't mean that using CPAP could be causing a drop in oxygen levels.
What I mean was that the pulse-ox study will be able to tell how effective your treatment is.
You asked if there was some way of determining if it's doing you any good.....and that would be one way.
Our "recovery" time on CPAP can vary greatly from person to person.
Best wishes,
Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05
birdshell wrote:
CPAP is causing a subtle, but significant, change in my energy levels.
I hope that is the case. Or at least doing my heart some good.
I guess the thing that will be hard is that I didn't feel like I had low energy levels before. Like I've mentioned before, I had no daytime symptoms, my oral surgeon recommended the sleep study after having issues when I was under anesthesia.
Starting the CPAP is what caused me to be exhausted in the morning and want to fall asleep during meetings.
Now after 10 weeks, my energy level is almost back to where it was before I started using the CPAP.
I figure I'm doing the right thing and being stubborn. I have one brother-in-law who took his CPAP back after 2 weeks and hasn't looked back. I have another one who had miraculous results from his first night with a CPAP. My sister says that he has so much more energy now that it's kind of annoying. LOL
Thanks,
Jim
Jim, you've got to realize that everyone is different. Some, like your brother-in-law, respond almost overnight. Others, well, let's just say their response to treatment is slower.
You say you're energy level is almost as good as before you started on CPAP. I found that my energy level pre-CPAP sucked! I woke tired, snoozed off at work, got home tired, didn't have energy to play with my son, barely made it through dinner and then to bed. I had NO life! CPAP has restored my energy level to what it was 20 years ago (I'm 55 now, been a hosehead for about 19 months). I have the energy and now the awake-time to hunt, fish, camp, work on my projects at home, play with my son, keep my wife "amused" and happy and the list goes on and on.
Stick with the treatment and like birdshell wrote, try and notice the gradual, subtle and significant differences. There have been so many posts about "Gosh, I just realized that I can....... again!! WOOHOO" (you fill in the blank).
Best of luck!
Kajun
This therapy WORKS!!!
You say you're energy level is almost as good as before you started on CPAP. I found that my energy level pre-CPAP sucked! I woke tired, snoozed off at work, got home tired, didn't have energy to play with my son, barely made it through dinner and then to bed. I had NO life! CPAP has restored my energy level to what it was 20 years ago (I'm 55 now, been a hosehead for about 19 months). I have the energy and now the awake-time to hunt, fish, camp, work on my projects at home, play with my son, keep my wife "amused" and happy and the list goes on and on.
Stick with the treatment and like birdshell wrote, try and notice the gradual, subtle and significant differences. There have been so many posts about "Gosh, I just realized that I can....... again!! WOOHOO" (you fill in the blank).
Best of luck!
Kajun
This therapy WORKS!!!
_________________
| Mask: Ultra Mirage™ Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Additional Comments: APAP, 8-14 cm H2O. |
This therapy WORKS!!!



