extremely dry mouth causing awakening

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bunny

extremely dry mouth causing awakening

Post by Bunny » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:02 am

I have used a cpap for 15 years. No major problems until now. My mouth gets so dry the skin on the inside of my mouth sticks to my teeth. Happens many time through out the night. I wake up and try to move my tongue around to get saliva moving. To use water, I would have to remove the whole full face CPAP mask then put back on. Can't do that 4 or 5 times a night. I am not a mouth breather but in that position my lips part and allow air to flow out. Use a humidifier, have used chin strap, used the little disc things that you put inside your mouth, used the spray before going to bed. The only change is that I am on a bunch of drugs for heart, lung, and esophagus.
My CPAP provider has no suggestions. I do believe it's something I just have to deal with. Question: over time will it harm the inside skin in my mouth and/or my teeth.

Julie

Re: extremely dry mouth causing awakening

Post by Julie » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:05 am

I would look closely at the bunch of drugs to see which might be causing the trouble and then ask if others could be substituted without compromising your treatment.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:35 am

Which machine are you using?
What humidity setting?
Are you using a heated hose or regular non heated hose?

While even maximum humidity doesn't always fix dry mouth...if you have some room to increase humidity output without causing nasal issues...it might help a little. Using a heated hose allows greater more consistent control over humidity output.

Biggest issue with dry mouth problems...potential dental issues besides the annoyance of waking up often.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

WildMtnHoney

Post by WildMtnHoney » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:47 am

Yes, ditto Pugsy, dental issues are a concern, but I've not had skin issues.

I didn't find relief with the disks, but I am doing better with a gel that I found on amazon, called simply GC dry mouth gel. I smear it all round my mouth before bed, and wake relatively ok in the mornings, instead of several times all night long with a cotton mouth.

Also, to ditto Julie, you may be able to switch to less mouth drying meds, so do bring it up to prescribing doctors.

Last, if it is something you just end up living with, talk with your dentist - I am using an Rx toothpaste at night, before the mouth gel, because saliva typically works against cavities in ways the gel can't, but the Rx toothpaste can. The gel just helps with the sensation of dry mouth on the cheeks, tongue etc., not the effects on the teeth.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:04 am

Bunny:

If you have an IOS device (iPad, iPhone, etc.) I suggest that you download the free app Epocrates. It will allow you to enter all of your medications and look at the interactions between them. In addition, for each one, it provides a list and discussion of the side effects for that med. I suspect that one or more of your meds is causing the dry mouth condition. If you can identify which one(s), the perhaps your physician can suggest/prescribe an alternate one to get the same medical effect without the dry mouth effect.

Epocrates at the iTunes store
Epocrates.com

In the mean time, try using a soft cervical collar (CVS, Walgreen, etc.) to help keep your jaw from dropping while you sleep. It will be better than a chin strap which sometimes has the effect of increasing the OSA rate (and thus pressure to compensate).

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

tan

Post by tan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:19 am

Bunny wrote:Can't do that 4 or 5 times a night. I am not a mouth breather but in that position my lips part and allow air to flow out.
Had that issue before. You need limit the out flow of air through your lips, assuming your meds cause dryness only during your sleep. Chinstrap didn't help me much. Try partial mouth taping: vertically apply a piece of 1 inch adhesive tape covering your upper lip under the nose down to your chin. Not too loose, not to tight.

KenM

Post by KenM » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:50 pm

What Julie said

no problems for 15 years
new medication and now you have problems?

as your doctor about the meds, maybe start with the esophagus