Has anyone here had a repeat turbinate reduction?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Slack_Irritant

Has anyone here had a repeat turbinate reduction?

Post by Slack_Irritant » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:12 pm

I have a problem where when I lay down my turbinates fill with too much blood and they swell my nose shut. Can't use a mask because of this problem. 6 months ago I had a septoplasty and turbinoplasty to fix this problem. Before surgery we ran the gamut and tried all non surgical options before deciding to proceed.

After surgery, my left side is open and wonderful but my right side is still giving me a lot of problems.

I am looking to hear from people who have had a second turbinate reduction and if so how are you doing these days?

DustyFarmer

Re: Has anyone here had a repeat turbinate reduction?

Post by DustyFarmer » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:01 am

I've had the surgery twice, about 20+ years apart. When I had the surgery the first time I was younger and healed faster and with much less pain. By the time I had the surgery the second time I had been diagnosed with sleep apnea for a few years. After the second surgery I had the packing in for several days (not sure exactly how long but I think a week, my wife thinks less ). After that I missed quite a few days wearing my mask. I would wake up in the night with a flood of blood running down my face. I wrecked a few pillows & pillowcases. I would sleep with Kleenex & Vaseline stuffed in my nose to stop the bleeding. I had this trouble for a few weeks and finally it cleared up. When I got back to using my mask, within a month I felt like a ballon and couldn't exhale. I had my machine turned down a bit. I also went from a full mask to nasal pillows. The nasal pillows were so much better. I also had to lay on my back after the surgery as when I laid on my side blood would pour out. The first several months after the surgery were terrible, uncomfortable and painful. Now about a year later it's been all worth it! After the first surgery I said Never Again! After the second surgery I thought I would rather be dead! I hope this helps!

Redonthehead

Post by Redonthehead » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:47 am

I have. When they pulled the splints out after the first I knew it was a failure. About 6 years later I admitted I had OSA and got a APAP machine, and struggled with a FFM. The P10 was OK part of time. Finally found a better doc and got the turbs done again. He stated my bones(?) inside the turbinates were quite strong and he had to push hard to break them and push them back. I can now breath through my nose!

Asharob

Post by Asharob » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:03 pm

Dusty farmer .....

Was your second ( successful) turbinate reduction coupled with any other procedures? It took several months to feel the results?

I'm 3 weeks post op but not feeling much improved.

Thanks!

joshdog

Post by joshdog » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:04 pm

I had the works done on both sides ! Turbinate's, septum's and sinus. I had a good surgent, the one doctors and their family members go to. It was four years ago now, I don't remember any bleeding or problems but not being allowed go lay down for a week. When I had to breath out of mouth I noticed allergies did not bother me, and I had less headaches also! When I was nose breathing aging what a difference after the surgery, it was so easy to breath!!!! The problem similar to BiPap use, the extra air in my nose made my head aches worse and my nose blocked up more at night than before the surgery, even with allergy shots.
Besure your is a good one.

Joshdog

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:07 pm

I had turbinate surgery about 25 years ago with the traditional nasal packing with surgical gauze. I was using CPAP by then, but couldn't us my machine for a while. I can still recall the day my ENT doctor had the packing removed-I was shocked how the nurse kept pulling out what seemed a never ending length of gauze. But I definitely benefited from the surgery and have never required a repeat. It wasn't fun, but I am grateful for my improved breathing.

TheDuke