Deep cleaning the S9

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bmanley

Deep cleaning the S9

Post by bmanley » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:42 am

Just wondering if anybody worries about the inside on their machine being dirty. I have been using a Resmed S9 basic unit for over 5 years now and wondered how dirty it gets inside. And is there any way to clean it. Yes I change the filter out regularly but I'm sure over 5 years of use there is dirt that gets in there. Maybe I'm over thinking this but still has me wondering. Even when I get a new machine it would be great to have this as a backup. Might never have to use it again but it would be nice if it was clean. Plus if I run into trouble getting a new machine it would be nice to know if there is a way to clean it better

LSAT

Re: Deep cleaning the S9

Post by LSAT » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:15 am

bmanley wrote:Just wondering if anybody worries about the inside on their machine being dirty. I have been using a Resmed S9 basic unit for over 5 years now and wondered how dirty it gets inside. And is there any way to clean it. Yes I change the filter out regularly but I'm sure over 5 years of use there is dirt that gets in there. Maybe I'm over thinking this but still has me wondering. Even when I get a new machine it would be great to have this as a backup. Might never have to use it again but it would be nice if it was clean. Plus if I run into trouble getting a new machine it would be nice to know if there is a way to clean it better
The only thing going into the machine is the filtered room air running over clean water. You breathe this air all day.No need to clean unless you have a smoker in the house or have had a smoky fire close by. Someone on this board showed how to take the machine completely apart, but unless you are capable, I wouldn't recommend it.

bmanley

Post by bmanley » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:09 am

I'm sure I could take it apart but really don't want to do that. With the machine running every night even with a filter I'm sure some small dust particle get in there and build up. In my house for about 3 of the 5 years the wife and daughter smoked but only in a back room. Still some gets in the other rooms and now for 2 years we are in a new home with no smoking but do have two German Shepard. Yes the filter should keep most things out but I'm sure there is some dust that can get in there.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:14 am

There "may" be some dust that gets into the insides of the machine but for the most part it's not a problem at least mechanically.
Now if it's a problem mentally to the user then that could be a different story.
If it bugs you too much and you don't want to take it apart yourself you can always pay someone to do it.
acbio.com will do the cleaning for you.
http://acbio.com/
I don't know what they would charge but be sure to figure in shipping both ways which usually runs $20 to $25 each way.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:01 pm

I don't know anyone who cleans the inside of their machines and have been here a long time... it's just not something we do or consider necessary. Your exposure during the day out in the world is so much more likely to introduce a 1,000 things into your system than the machine ever could, including of course your closeness to your dogs that it's pointless to worry about. The machine is probably the cleanest thing in your home. Just clean and (eventually) change your filter when necessary, clean your mask (baby wipes daily, mild soapy water weekly and don't bother with the hose - another useless worry.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:23 pm

bmanley wrote:Just wondering if anybody worries about the inside on their machine being dirty. I have been using a Resmed S9 basic unit for over 5 years now and wondered how dirty it gets inside. And is there any way to clean it. Yes I change the filter out regularly but I'm sure over 5 years of use there is dirt that gets in there. Maybe I'm over thinking this but still has me wondering. Even when I get a new machine it would be great to have this as a backup. Might never have to use it again but it would be nice if it was clean. Plus if I run into trouble getting a new machine it would be nice to know if there is a way to clean it better
you can, if you've got a long handled t10 screwdriver and a bit of mechanical talent.

but, after having opened up an elite that had been used for two or three years, I can tell you, it's not worth the effort (and when I say 'effort', it takes me less than five minutes to completely strip down a S9 unit), there was a very light dusting of... er, dust, on *part* of the foam pads, the plastics were clean. and I'm not that regular about changing the filters, but I didn't let 'em get to the furry felt stage either.

http://imgur.com/a/S0ojG

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:51 pm

Just curious; exactly what do hospitals do to prepare the machine between patients?
Somebody must know.
I doubt it is very aggressive . .

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:14 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Just curious; exactly what do hospitals do to prepare the machine between patients?
Somebody must know.
I doubt it is very aggressive . .
The ResMed Airsense 10 and the S9 Clinical manuals have a section for reprocessing between patients. Basicly it's machine surface disinfection, Cleaning and disinfecting the tubing, water tub, and air outlet. The only thing different is the solutions used and individual users usually don't take out and clean the air outlet.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

bmanley

Post by bmanley » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Thanks guys, this is what I was looking for. I'm not all that worried about it since some have said it doesn't get bad. Was just worried after using it so long it might be really bad inside. From the other house I lived in I didn't notice it until I spent a night away like at a hotel I could smell the smoke in the machine. Which was odd the first time I did this because I never noticed in the house. I keep the filters changed so I'm pretty sure nothing major should be in there. When you see stories like the kids play toys from the bath having mold in then it just makes you wonder if anything could happen to you cpap over a long time. Thanks

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:13 pm

bmanley wrote: When you see stories like the kids play toys from the bath having mold in then it just makes you wonder if anything could happen to you cpap over a long time. Thanks
baths are a rather wet environment... the flow generator part of the cpap isn't, the only thing that goes through there is filtered room air.

now, the silicone parts can pick up cigarette stink... and that is tough to get out, but it can be done.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:24 pm

bmanley wrote:When you see stories like the kids play toys from the bath having mold in then it just makes you wonder if anything could happen to you cpap over a long time. Thanks
I had occasion to open up a s9 autoset today that had about 6500 hours on it, not quite three years of use... here's what the inside looked like.

yup, those two very light patches of dust was the only thing in it, not even any trace of dust on the plastics.

Craig-Tx

Post by Craig-Tx » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:57 pm

palerider wrote:
bmanley wrote:When you see stories like the kids play toys from the bath having mold in then it just makes you wonder if anything could happen to you cpap over a long time. Thanks
I had occasion to open up a s9 autoset today that had about 6500 hours on it, not quite three years of use... here's what the inside looked like.

yup, those two very light patches of dust was the only thing in it, not even any trace of dust on the plastics.

Ohh Great, you got it!

Additional Comments: Started PAP on 1/16/07. - Typical 90% pressure ~ 10 cm H20

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:39 am

I do a quick wipe down of the S9 once a week... Just to get the dust off. The dust filters are changed the 1st of every month. It's just a habit that I got into 4+ years ago... Filters are verycheap when bought in bulk quantities.

I do a more aggressive wash of the humidifier unit.. I do a wet wipe of the interior and a wash of the rubber grommet seal in the lid.

I have found that stray particles in the base of the unit sometimes affects the light in the unit. When it is dirty; the orange light will stay on, even if the S9 is completely shut down. A quick wipe of the bottom of the humidifier solves this anomaly.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Basic conservation of matter science says that long term, the level of dust coming out of the hose is less than or equal to the dust coming in in the room air. Less whatever dust gets removed by the air filter.

The dust coming out will be no worse than breathing regular room air. You might get an occasional case of a chunk of dust breaking loose and you inhaling it, but the long term average will be lower.

However, dust in the machine could clog up the blower or sensors.

It could be worse if mold were growing inside the machine, but it's really not a good environment for mold to grow in the blower unit.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

bmanley

Post by bmanley » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:45 pm

I agree that since you have a filter on the unit the air should be better the what is in the room. It's just that some has to build up to some degree, yes it might take a very long time. Just worry when you have water and heat together mold can grow. With the S9 there is little between where the moisture gets added to the air and the outlet. Now with the new airsense it looks like there is more tube between the two. Once I have the machine in my own hands I will be able to see what is there and how hard it might be to clean