Should I get a sleep study ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sylvia54

Re: Should I get a sleep study ?

Post by Sylvia54 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:06 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sylvia54 wrote:the tongue and throat
Ahhh (Pun intended.), that is what I was getting at. The most common immediate cause of obstructive sleep apnea is collapse of the tongue, soft palate and other throat tissue. I don't think it is accurate to say "tongue obstructive apnea", unless the patient has undergone uncommon, advanced examination that shows the tongue alone is the cause of the obstruction.

Sylvia54 wrote:I came across an older posting of yours that said you felt better while sleeping at a lower
elevation. I think this is true for me also. I live in the high desert, approx. 2700 ft above sea level.
Last Nov. I stayed near UCLA, real close to the ocean and I felt more refreshed from my sleep in the mornings, even from only
5-6 hrs of sleep.
Let's move! I can pack in one day. A suitemate would be nice.
Yes, you're right, let's move! And it's most certainly not the tongue obstruction alone. I believe that I also have the small upper airway, I have a small jaw and orthodontic treatment with tooth extractions from decades ago most likely altered my anatomy.

Recently I decided to purchase a Resmed Airsense 10 machine and find that it's already helping me sleep better than my DME-issued Dreamstation machine. Still have the morning unrefreshed feeling to some degree.
As the day goes on, I feel better though.

Also, the SD card provides more data in Sleepyhead, includes a chart showing flow limitation and I have it most of the time.
I think it ties in with the leaks, must be mouth leaking even though I use a chinstrap.
(I've tried the cervical collar and couldn't get to sleep with it.)
My machine shows a smile for mask fit.
Might try using my slumber belt to stay on my side longer.
Being on one side for too long can make my knees ache.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:25 pm

Sylvia54 wrote:orthodontic treatment with tooth extractions
Ouch. A dark period in orthodontics. Dentists with tunnel vision - did not see the patient as a whole - only thought of straight teeth.

Sylvia54 wrote:Being on one side for too long can make my knees ache.
Do you place a pillow between your knees? This is for the purpose of keeping your spine parallel to the mattress, but it might also help prevent knee pain.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:01 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:Do you place a pillow between your knees? This is for the purpose of keeping your spine parallel to the mattress, but it might also help prevent knee pain.
For me it prevents hip pain.

Sylvia54

Post by Sylvia54 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:39 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sylvia54 wrote:orthodontic treatment with tooth extractions
Ouch. A dark period in orthodontics. Dentists with tunnel vision - did not see the patient as a whole - only thought of straight teeth.

Sylvia54 wrote:Being on one side for too long can make my knees ache.
Do you place a pillow between your knees? This is for the purpose of keeping your spine parallel to the mattress, but it might also help prevent knee pain.
Yeah I tried that once before but can't remember why it didn't work out.
It would be worth another try though.
Thanks.