somnopose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sesheridan1

somnopose

Post by sesheridan1 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:58 pm

I imported somnopose data to sleepyhead. but where does it appear in sleepy head?

Thanks

library lady

Re: somnopose

Post by library lady » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:04 pm

No idea... I've never heard of somnopose, is that a cpap machine?

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:08 pm

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

library lady

Post by library lady » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:20 pm

OK ... I googled this and it's apparently an Android app to measure your sleep positions. Doesn't look to me like this has anything to do with apnea or cpap machines. Sleepyhead measures AHI (apnea/hypopnea index) and things related to apnea but doesn't measure sleep position. I think this app is intended to help you analyze your sleep positions during the night and use the information to maximize your sleep. In other words, you need to analyze the information gathered in somnopose itself instead of importing to sleepyhead in order to improve your sleep. If you suspect you have apnea, you will need a cpap machine, for which you need to get to sleep test and a prescription before you can get a cpap machine which you can analyze with Sleepyhead.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Android? I only saw ios. Too bad connectivity, multi platform, etc. Is not a priority.
The idea sounds good, but standing alone, it's severely limited.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:10 pm

For the record, the poster asked something else in another note a few days ago but never came back to comment on replies.

Sesheridan1

Post by Sesheridan1 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:49 pm

In sleepyhead, there is a menu item specifically for download of somnopose data. A csv file is successfully imported to SH. But I don't see the result in graphs etc. somnopose is an iOS app.

It is useful for positional apnea help. It will vibrate the phone notifying that you should turn. Strap the phone to your chest while sleeping. Two things though: Tape some sort of cover over your home button and the power button. The program must be to the forefront and the phone must stay on.

But where is the data go on SH once it is imported?!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:03 pm

Some of the stuff on SleepyHead doesn't work right or yet.
If you can't see any data on the daily results then it must not be working yet or correctly. SH has some bugs in it and Mark isn't working on fixing any bugs at this time.
I don't know of anyone who has used SH to view Somnopose data.
You could try contacting Mark and ask him where the results are supposed to show.
His screen ID here is Jedimark.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=54879
But the last time he was here was last May.
You will need to register here at the forum and log in to send him any private messages.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sesheridan

Post by Sesheridan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:56 am

The answer: to get somnopose data into SH, import the somnopose data before importing the Cpap data. Then SH adds 2 more graphs.

Norma45

Post by Norma45 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:49 am

I am adding to this old thread as it seemed most relevant.

I am using Somnopose. Works great but...
I realized today when I tried to go back and look at previous days that there was no somnopose data for any past days - only for the current day that I had just loaded.
I tried loading data from all charts but got an Oscar error for that file.

Does oscar keep old days of Somnopose? Does it erase previous data when a new day of Somnopose data is uploaded?

I do load Somnopose after I load the SD data.

If it matters, I am using IOS (phone and computer).

AmSleepnBetta

Post by AmSleepnBetta » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:02 am

<r><QUOTE author="Norma45" post_id="1355382" time="1591116542" user_id="95341"><s>
Norma45 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:49 am
</s>
I am adding to this old thread as it seemed most relevant.<br/>
<br/>
I am using Somnopose. Works great but...<br/>
I realized today when I tried to go back and look at previous days that there was no somnopose data for any past days - only for the current day that I had just loaded.<br/>
I tried loading data from all charts but got an Oscar error for that file.<br/>
<br/>
Does oscar keep old days of Somnopose? Does it erase previous data when a new day of Somnopose data is uploaded? <br/>
<br/>
I do load Somnopose after I load the SD data.<br/>
<br/>
If it matters, I am using IOS (phone and computer).
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Norma45, I agree that Somnopose works great, at least for my purposes. It carries forward, simplifies and enhances sleep analysis after its kind of presentation--of sleep position and motion in Excel charts/graphs--convinced me of my need and whether I had met it by stopping (my preferred) supine sleep position. <br/>
<br/>
I believe there is a Somnopose device or app for use with smart phones--am not sure about that. I use a GCDC general purpose (superceded?) X2-2 accelerometer that logs x, y, and z coordinates at its lowest sampling rate of 8Hz. I put its logged data through a simple spreadsheet and into a CSV file to get the table header, zero-time, times and format exactly as Somnopose specifies (see below) for programs llke OSCAR to import. <br/>
<br/>
I too searched but could not find much help regarding assessment of sleep motion (other than the many wrist worn devices that tend, I expect, to be expensive and make users captives of proprietary locks on data and its availability for other analyses). This forum's basementdwellingeek member gave me some clues. I'll leave word of my experience here for other searchers who come along to consider or correct. Here are a few specifics, suggestions and responses to consider:<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
I use a computer with the Excel spreadsheet, not a phone nor a Somnopose (Som) device to prepare OSCAR's Somnopose-compliant (CSV file) data input.<br/>
<br/>
AFAIK: Oscar imports both oximeter and Som data into only the most recently input sleep session that is resident in OSCAR. (If I "must", I use OSCAR's ADVANCED data option to delete the current xPAP session in OSCAR to enable putting into OSCAR the previous day of SpO2 and or Somnopose recordings . Afterward, I re-read the current xPAP SD card to replace that sleep session that had been imported into OSCAR but was deleted. (If you have the necessary separate, successive daily sleep files stored--as saved from the SD card each day by day--then it's laborious but you can, as I have done, extend that whole "loopy"process backward but only one date-matched set of data files in turn--after deleting that number of days from OSCAR. LET'S HOPE SOMEONE TELLS US I AM WRONG AND, BETTER YET, JUST HOW TO DO THE CATCHUP MORE EASILY. <br/>
<br/>
<br/>
To date, OSCAR "forgets" what Som data it had displayed in graphs when you close it. What I do is save my Som CSV data files with date names that match sleep dates. But to use them for two or more days back, I run into that labor intensive, one-day-at-a-time loop problem for each day I go backward. (For me the problem and need to reach backward arises from not always remembering to leave OSCAR "up" with the computer either hibernating or sleeping until I'm through with Som for the current day. When you have saved the Som CSV file it's quick and easy to re-import the Som data lost by shut down, but, again, only for the most recent PAP session. Fixing the vanishing of Som upon shut down is probably on the developer team's list of things to be fixed.<br/>
<br/>
I put SpO2 and Som data into OSCAR after the matching sleep file has been loaded and opened. Time synchronization is touchy and, once drilled down to questions involving close timing of 1 to 3 seconds, startup lag times and such pose limits on understanding sequences of breathing related events. I eventually learned to start the three devices (including Contec CMS50I) all at roughly the same time (second) and to adjust for accelerometer drift inside the data conversion spreadsheet in order to match my xPAP's data start time.<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
See the Oscar input table spec below (for the two columns of time logged data it can hold for OSCAR to display) as well as an example of a recent OSCAR report showing sleep, SpO2 and accelerometer data graphed in OSCAR. Ignore both the red grid lines that helped me see approximately synchronic changes and the necessary scaling numbers in the Inclination window. Further, I happened to grab an image with sloppy yellow highlights--put there to show how the Inclination (acceleration) window graph (typically) shows many moves that the Orientation graph does not show at all sometimes--not even if it is zoomed vertically as much as it is in this instance. (It would be great if OSCAR could be changed to show the Inclination level (that is, that the person is positioned somewhere between standing on hands or feet) by default, but would accept the user's caption when different. Some users want to import CSV data from other devices that OSCAR does not import directly.) The crosshatches in Inclination are indicators of relative significance of sudden motions that typically last a few seconds. Their vertical extents, were they instantaneous, would show the accelerometer's acceleration bursts (while held reasonably firmly against the small of my back by the chock vest.) relative to that of gravity (g = 32 ft per sec per sec being 1.0). The horizontal line is at 1.0 g but none of that is as important to me as marking the time and extent of a sudden move. (I hope to learn which moves disturb sleep and how they might be minimized like my OSA has been.)

From time to time I check my sleep to see what happens when I don't wear my "chock vest" that prevents roll over to the supine position. Somnopose makes that habitual mistake easier to check and keeps me going back to wearing the chock rather than going back to denial and OA clusters despite a cervical collar.

I'm currently looking to see if my motion sensing device can help me "see"--can show me, in 30-second to 2-minute-duration views of instances of sharp motion--helpful ways to reduce sleep disturbances that are in that variable gap our machines don't report. I think that gap lies below and between RERA and FL tell thresholds and that it is revealed by un-rounded peaks of FR curves ( or by ECGs during PSGs). Some of those irregularities (see the chart of shapes from a related research paper) are marked by concurrent motions, small leaks and/or FLs. The point of all this effort is to see if I can improve sleep restfulness, given that AHI hovers near zero after having deep desats and a RDI near 60 when I started CPAP. Many complain, as I do not, about low AHI and not resting. Its been so many years, though, of poor sleep that I don't know whether this improved sleep is up to potential. Further, digging into this is interesting.<br/>
<br/>

make circle image online

https www google image

Finally, kudos to Mark Watkins for the SleepyHead origin of OSCAR and to bonjour and the team that have upgraded it. I once used SH. Both are amazing tools. Then there are forum members, here and at AB, who helped me find a suitable general purpose 3-axis accelerometer (GCDC's X2-2 or X16-1D ) and informed me (about 5 weeks ago) that OSCAR's Somnopose import feature likely could help me. I had asked how I might simplify the tedious process of overlaying an Excel Chart of position and motion with a time and scale matched OSCAR graphic. Note that WIT or WIT-motion has low cost accelerometers that appear to have brackets for cloth wrist or ankle straps if needed, but full specs have eluded me. For DIY techies, ADAfruit has appropriate PCB's and chips.</r>

I regret not knowing bb language and leaving those marks on the post as I hope this does post with such substance as it may hold to be of use to someone. Note: there are accelerometers out there from about $31 and upward, chips for DIY even lower.

ASB

Norma45

Post by Norma45 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:28 pm

ASB, I was directed to put any potential bugs into the OSCAR thread - the one at the top of the topics (for the latest release).
A reply said they are going to work on the Somnopose files staying around after Oscar is closed.

FYI - I don't have any problems with oximeter files staying around after closing, since my oximeter has it's clock that is accurate, I just enter it choosing the time it has.

I do not have to delete my SD card data to go back and add an oximeter or somnopose file (at least I have not run into this problem, though I generally load them all together at the same time), but if I take a nap and have 2 sessions for the same day of SD data AND I already loaded the first part (e.g. overnight), then I do need to delete the SD data for that day to reload and get both sessions from the SD data loaded. If I remember right my oximeter information for the overnight stayed just fine and after I reloaded the SD data for the two sessions, I was able to then add the afternoon oximeter, reload the somnopose that now showed both sessions and it all looked good.

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:22 pm

I'm currently using Oscar and Somnopose. Not able to import all of the days simultaneously into Oscar, only one at a time, it just doesn't work from what I've seen. I've been saving each day as it's own separate Somnopose file. Somnopose files are not saved when Oscar is closed and need to import each day separately every time you start Oscar. Pretty annoying, but better than nothing. That's my experience. Hopefully we will get an Oscar update for this stuff at some point.

AmSleepnBetta

Post by AmSleepnBetta » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:17 am

I don't know how to do multiple quotes so here are a couple of responses and questions, pleased as I am to be learning Bonehead Importing and more from two other oximeter and Somnopose users:

Norma45, thankyou for prompting me to try importing into OSCAR several days of SpO2 at one time to match up to a number of days from an SD card import. Will try that.

Waaay back SleepyHead quit accepting files directly from the Contec CMS50I and I had to begin saving the daily files on my drive and then point Sleepyhead's
oximeter wizard to them one day at a time. I only recently found that the direct import works fine with OSCAR. However, I do like to save daily files
in a long term backup anyway to enable an occasional closer review using Excel charting and the daily CSV file.

On the basis of your comment I did (reimport) a Somnopose data file for a sleep session earlier than my later sleep session I had not deleted; it worked fine.
Rob K, I think we would all agree now that SpO2 data remain in OSCAR after shutdown, but not Somnopose data. I do as you do; save the Somnopose file that has been imported
so that if it is needed again after an OSCAR shutdown we can import it again after OSCAR's shutdown drops it.

Are you using a smart phone and Somnopose device or app of some kind? I take it that one or the other will export prone-through-supine (Orientation) and standing-on
feet- through standing-on hands-position (Inclination) angles to a file like the one depicted in my post above. Do your phone or app's recorded times of motion import as-is into OSCAR without need to deal
with Dayllight and device time-drift adjustments? What value do you see in that Inclination graphic for a sleeper who sleeps level, neither head nor feet high if that is why it is a feature of the
device/app? (I'm glad it is there for my hack.)
Onward, in this hijacking of mine, to learn about and wring out all we can from seldom-mentioned Somnopose and OSCAR's handling of its sleep data: (Yes, some having more answers will say something along the line, "Here ASB goes down his attention-seeking rabbit hole again". I see no good reason to start a new thread and hope Norma45 is OK with this. If not, or writers of earlier posts wish, I can start another thread, but why fragment this seldom mentioned topic and the great tool it deals with.

My sleep before last night's had the longest period of smooth and regular graphics I have ever had since start of therapy in September 2011, even having about 15 minutes with SpO2 flat on 95%. Looking closely at zoomed FR (because of the researchers' graphic in my post above [which signals scientists' concerns]) I became surprised at what is a miniscule detail, but a quite revealing one about X2-2 sensitivity. The device is not mounted very tightly or rigidly against the small of my back in a bottom-rib-level-knapsack-pocket, that vest-chock device that prevents my preferred supine sleep.

A tiny blip in the curve seen in the Inclination window of OSCAR (indicating a slight brief motion) showed up and I thought it was an artifact to be dismissed. But it and another blip like it nearby, in what I saw as my best ever FR curve, marked two tiny motions, each incidental to a small irregularity near the end of at least two exhales. Both were on the end of the exhale curve where a few of some of our heartbeats are partly graphed and are typically regular where they are lightly highlighted by the FR zero line at the end of exhales. The blips that caught my eye arose from the two deformed exhale endings--probably not vice vesa. I highlighted in the following graphic one instance of those two motion and FR irregularities in that 15 minutes. There is some breathing context and yellow highlighting of what I see as significant in the graphic: top to bottom and left to right; 1) Flat 95% SpO2, 2) Early, there are yellow highlighted peak flow rates showing that even my best FR curve maximums are not rounded; this is evidence of continual if not continuous slight airway resistance (see the "Normal" in that researchers' chart in my post above [there have been other researchers who have worked on equations to describe such shapes]). 3) There is the notch in exhale curve at the time of the motion, 4) No FL shows, 5) a small concurrent reduction in Leak, 6) the motion indication in Inclination view, 7) the slight change in Orientation.

Before dealing with more obvious breathing pattern disorders in another post, this next seemingly trivial graphic I see regularly is from the same sleep session, if not from the same 15 minutes where there is one too (am not sure as I type). I've seen others ask about the flow pattern and I think some have called it some kind of "Norwegian" sigh. A usual inhale shape begins and shows a first peak FR that slows (but does not reverse) then there is another inhale burst when FR jumps to a much higher peak rate before falling sharply and far below other exhale minimums. This leaves tall +/- spikes all along most of my FR curves at almost regular intervals of several minutes. Best guess, for now, is about half of them have no associated FL and about half have one FL (as below), usually those are low level and the Vauto shows them just after the spike (as below). These "sighs" usually are not preceded by a FL, but upon zooming the preceding breaths, I think I see more distortions of the preceding several peaks of the FR curve. In this graphic, significant departure from a rounded peak FR is seen before and after the spike and, as is often true, there will be a change in leak level. In this case there is no indication of motion.

So what? Even if the patterns are just mine, "acnecdotal" as is said, it strikes me that there may be some way to locate, to get others to assess or investigate a remediable trouble spot or mucus obstruction that becomes most resistant to air flow at one's highest FRs (like house or gate doors slam shut from venturi effect of wind and gusts). On a related note, it seems that strings of +peaks of the FR curves do tend to be more distorted just before one or more FLs. In all this there is a whole lot of subjective and tentative "I think" that I hope might be sifted in some useful way for the benefit of us xPAP users. As I near 5 years of xPAP, I may make my pulmonologist laugh if I ask for a sleep study, at which I'd want to "wear" my X2-2 and CMS50I and ask for a copy of the whole report to see comparative results.

At this point I'm fine with how my sleep has improved and am simply wondering and working toward finding out if it is as good as it could be after so many years of body damaging OSA and not knowing
restful sleep. Further, learning about the whole topic, like other quantitative related interests have, has become a challenge, preoccupation and drive, one heightened by having some time and the great tools, Vauto, OSCAR,
CMS50I oximeter, X2-2 accelerometer, Excel, the memories of a pinch of math, knowledgeable and helpful, er, forum co-members (and lots of online--and largely over my head--sleep research papers).

ASB