Cat Sleep Study

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Elcondor

Cat Sleep Study

Post by Elcondor » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:52 am

My Vet recently had my cat in for a Sleep Study. He was concerned that Cecil( not his real name) wasn't getting his usual 18 hours of daily sleep. He recommended several life style changes that have helped CeCe( not his real nickname). No cat nip after 4 PM, No watching cute human videos on You Tube after 10 PM, and one positional change, No sleeping on the other cat.

49er

Re: Cat Sleep Study

Post by 49er » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:03 am

Elcondor wrote:My Vet recently had my cat in for a Sleep Study. He was concerned that Cecil( not his real name) wasn't getting his usual 18 hours of daily sleep. He recommended several life style changes that have helped CeCe( not his real nickname). No cat nip after 4 PM, No watching cute human videos on You Tube after 10 PM, and one positional change, No sleeping on the other cat.
Thanks, I greatly needed a good laugh.

Hosehead4ever

Post by Hosehead4ever » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:27 am

I'm laughing so hard because my cat actually has sleep apnea. She has snored heavily for years and jerks awake from a hard snore just like a human would. I have periodically joked over the years about putting her on cpap therapy.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:50 am

KatyDidAgain wrote:I'm laughing so hard because my cat actually has sleep apnea. She has snored heavily for years and jerks awake from a hard snore just like a human would. I have periodically joked over the years about putting her on cpap therapy.
I don't think they have masks that small.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:53 am

They make them for very tiny humans, but since they are often held on with tape, you would have to shave the cat's face.

Elcondor

Post by Elcondor » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:55 am

Thank you for your reply, however shaving Cecil is not an option as he would never give up his goatee. The lifestyle changes have helped.His FBI ( Fur Ball Index) is < 5 and he has a little more day time energy. This morning he chased the neighbors pet mouse who has been diagnosed with Moderate Sleep Apnea. Cecil never caught up to the mouse, may have been that they both were walking

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Elcondor wrote:My Vet recently had my cat in for a Sleep Study. He was concerned that Cecil( not his real name) wasn't getting his usual 18 hours of daily sleep. He recommended several life style changes that have helped CeCe( not his real nickname). No cat nip after 4 PM, No watching cute human videos on You Tube after 10 PM, and one positional change, No sleeping on the other cat.
Very cute.

You might want to add to the list - No riding the Roomba after 9:00 p.m.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:29 pm

CG,

How about a list of sleep hygiene rules for kitties?

49er

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Just got something in a ? 15" x 15" box with a lump of paper and lots of bubble wrap.... just like a kid who cares less about the 'product', my little devil is now asleep on the bubbles, in the box - no cpap needed. How did cats get so many of the cuteness genes!

Woody

Post by Woody » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:00 pm

So how many hrs a day would your cat need to use this cpap to be considered complient
for the cat health insurance to cover it ?

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

Elcondor

Post by Elcondor » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:08 am

Cecil has been having a difficult time responding to therapy. He tried that WRD ( Whisker Retention Device) but it put too much pressure on those two saber teeth pointing up on the bottom of his mouth. The vet finally had to put him on CPAP. CECIL is currently trailing the CatatonicPurr15( it's new) with a FFFM( Felix Full Face Mask. The straps that hook over his ears are showing some irritation. This Vet has suggested rubbing fish oil on his ears so the other cat would lick it off and offer some relief. However, that sounds really rediculous to me so I'm holding off on this solution.

Woody

Post by Woody » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:14 pm

Is he fat, if so have you considered weight loss surgery ?
Or a hydroexercise plan in other words a nice long bath
every day. Just think of all the exercise he would get
fighting to get out of the tub !

Additional Comments: SleapyHead software

Elcondor

Post by Elcondor » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:38 pm

Woody, Cecil is not overweight, he is about 12 pounds, handsome and muscular. Most of his weight is in his tail and he has a vertical jump of between 6-8 inches. Thus, your tub idea would not work with Cecil. His inability to jump almost cost him when we had a minor flood. The other cat was on top of the refrigerator safe and sound. Cecil was saved by the Strawkel( a snorkel constructed of straw). I recently made this for him in case of emergencies.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:25 am

One of the best, if not the best thread I've seen around here in a long time!
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:28 am

I wonder if a larger collar would help Cecil with his mouth breathing.