Send wireless data to Apria or not?? Why is it necessary?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zeeclass

Send wireless data to Apria or not?? Why is it necessary?

Post by zeeclass » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:42 am

I just got a new ResMed Airsense 10 APAP from Apria. I had to use Apria if I wanted my insurance to cover the machine. It comes with a wireless connection so that somebody gets my data every day. I'm not sure who. My doctor?? Apria?? I'm not clear on that point.

The wireless function can be turned off (put into Airplane Mode). So I turned it off.

Why would I need to send my data to Apria? I have been using a CPAP for 5 years, so of course I am compliant. Does Apria (or my insurer, HealthNet) need the data to prove that I'm compliant so that they'll pay for the machine? Should I take the machine out of Airplane Mode?

Nobody at Apria explained anything about this to me, so I'm rather confused by it.

I remember that when I first started using a CPAP 5 years ago, I had to send a report to my DME and I think they sent it to Blue Shield, my insurer at the time. But I figured it was necessary because I was new to PAP therapy and they wanted to make sure I was using it correctly. I don't have that need now that I've been a user for more than 5 years and wouldn't dream of sleeping without it! (I even have a separate one that I use for travel!)

Diagnosed mainly with hypopneas, original AHI of 19. Also suffer from twitching in sleep, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, herniated discs in neck and back, mild recurring depression. Hubby and I are both hoseheads with matching CPAPs!

SewTired

Re: Send wireless data to Apria or not?? Why is it necessary?

Post by SewTired » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:20 am

In most cases, they collect your compliance data until your compliance is completed. You are stuck with it if you want someone else to pay for your machine. Depending on the arrangement with your doctor's office, your data is sent or not sent to them to review. You can access your data if you set up your account at MyAir (just the compliance and leak stuff).

The folks at Lincare said they only need to collect it for me until Medicare's compliance was completed (which also requires a visit with the doctor to see how it's working). Insurance companies don't care what you did in the past - nobody is exempt from these compliance requirements if you expect them to pay for your machine.

Yes, you can turn it off, but realize that you will have to travel to Apria with your card to be read. That means taking time off of work. If you want to leave it shut off, leave it shut off. Just plan to ask Apria when you will come so that they can read your SD card.

Apria will not make over-the-air changes to your machine unless you ask the doctor to do so. Since most docs require you to bring your machine for a visit, this is usually not done. However, some folks are too ill to travel or do tele-medicine contacts and those folks do have the DME make the changes because they don't know how to.

Hope this helps a bit.

edited to add: Your compliance period is usually complete between 90 and 100 days. After that, it is unncessary for Apria to collect data.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Pugsy

Re: Send wireless data to Apria or not?? Why is it necessary?

Post by Pugsy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:40 am

You will need to contact your insurance company to see if they require compliance proof before they pay or not. We have no idea what your insurance company requires for someone like you who has been using cpap for years.
If they do then you need to turn airplane mode back on or be prepared to take the SD card in.
If they don't then you don't need to provide proof of anything to the equipment supplier.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.