Do I Need ClimateLineAir Heated Hose for ResMed Airsense?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zeeclass

Do I Need ClimateLineAir Heated Hose for ResMed Airsense?

Post by zeeclass » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:16 pm

I just switched from a Respironics CPAP to a ResMed APAP (Airsense 10). I don't like the slim line hose that came with the new machine, as it is fairly stiff and I find it more difficult to deal with. I do like the Respironics hose that I've been using all these years, and it seems that there is no problem using it with this new machine as long as I set the hose diameter on the machine to Standard.

Anyway, I am aware that there are heated hoses available for the machine. Is it worth it to get a heated hose for this machine? There are only a few times that I can remember having a rainout with my CPAP, and I assume it will be the same with my new APAP. I keep the humidity setting to 3 or 4. My pressure seems to be averaging 10. I use a nasal mask (not air pillows).

I appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Diagnosed mainly with hypopneas, original AHI of 19. Also suffer from twitching in sleep, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, herniated discs in neck and back, mild recurring depression. Hubby and I are both hoseheads with matching CPAPs!

Pugsy

Re: Do I Need ClimateLineAir Heated Hose for ResMed Airsense?

Post by Pugsy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:55 am

The heated hoses are pretty much considered a comfort feature.
Something to help prevent rain out or something to help deliver a consistent humidity out put.
It's not critical to use one. If you rarely get rain out and you are quite happy with the humidity setting then there's no urgent need to use a heated hose.

Me personally...I use a heated hose year round. It's a little more flexible for one thing and I prefer lots of humidity which is a real recipe for rain out in the winter for sure. Plus I tend to keep a cold bedroom in winter and I didn't like having ice cube nose waking me up all night.
So I use it year round...never change the humidity delivered but I do change the hose air temp depending on the season. Winter gets almost maxed out (80s) warm temps and summer gets temps down in the 60s or whatever keeps rain out away.

So it's really your personal choice whether you use one or not. I rather like it myself. I spent 4 winters battling the rain out with various measures and once I got a heated hose I never looked back.
Hose cozies help but add weight to the hose. Running the hose under the covers to keep it warm usually meant I ended up trying to strangle myself during tossing and turning.
So I love the heated hose.

Oh BTW....some people think that a "heated" hose means the hose air will be a LOT warmer than a non heated hose and be like breathing hot air but it isn't that warm at all.
With ResMed the warmest you can set it is 86 degrees and that's still cooler than the normal human body temp of 98.6. Even at the warmest setting it doesn't necessarily feel all that warm to breath the air because it's still cooler than your own body.

If you get a chance to get one...get it and try it. You don't have to use the heated hose part if you don't want to or you can do like I do...use it in the winter and turn it way down or off during other months when the ambient temp is warmer. My bedroom gets in the low 60s upper 50s during cold periods and ice cube nose would wake me up even if the rain out was prevented with a hose cozy (which added weight to the hose and that weight was a bit annoying).

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SewTired

Re: Do I Need ClimateLineAir Heated Hose for ResMed Airsense?

Post by SewTired » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:42 am

I think it's worth getting one and trying it. You'll appreciate it the first night you start drowning in your mask from excessive moisture.

If you get your equipment through a DME and paid by insurance, getting the heated hose, even if you don't want to use the heat function, garners you the brand name, and better, more quiet hose.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)