Skin allergy. Fibromyalgia. Giving up for now.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
User avatar
DebiB
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:49 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Skin allergy. Fibromyalgia. Giving up for now.

Post by DebiB » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:04 pm

Mum's The Word wrote:I would suggest going to an allergist.

My last allergy test about 2 years ago did not how any allergies except environmental. I've been treated for environmental allergies since the age of 5. I have gotten more sensitive to latex and other adhesives in recent years. My skin reacts similarly with any medical adhesive as it is with the masks.

Regarding the sulfates, etc., I do not use sulfates in any body care products, to include shampoo. I have minimal chemicals in my home at all. I actually teach essential oil classes for making a variety of all natural products.

User avatar
chunkyfrog
Posts: 34544
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: Nowhere special--this year in particular.

Re: Skin allergy. Fibromyalgia. Giving up for now.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:04 pm

Allergies are weird; they can suddenly get worse or you can get a brand new one
for no reason whatsoever. It happens all the time. See an allergist.

_________________
Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Airsense 10 Autoset for Her

User avatar
BlackSpinner
Posts: 9742
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:44 pm
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Contact:

Re: Skin allergy. Fibromyalgia. Giving up for now.

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:09 pm

DebiB wrote: I actually teach essential oil classes for making a variety of all natural products.
Natural does not mean allergy free. poison Ivy is all natural, so is hemlock and belladonna.

I react to lavender and most "floral" essential oils.

_________________
Machine: PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto CPAP Machine
Additional Comments: Quatro mask for colds & flus S8 elite for back up
71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Soothest Sleep
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:35 pm

Re: Skin allergy. Fibromyalgia. Giving up for now.

Post by Soothest Sleep » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:56 am

DebiB wrote:I have now had 5 separate types of masks cause skin irritation, . . .
Newby here, also using the Wisp headgear, and was also getting some pressure marks/irritation from the mask (I sleep on my side, too). I noticed in archived posts that others have had success using lanolin (Lansinoh) on the skin to ease the irritation, and it has worked for me, too. Have you tried it?

I do not know about living with fibromyalgia, so don't know whether this would suit you, but thought I would mention the lanolin for your consideration.

regards,
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats

User avatar
ChicagoGranny
Posts: 15535
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm
Location: USA

Re: Skin allergy. Fibromyalgia. Giving up for now.

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:21 am

DebiB wrote:Is there a fibro/dermatological link I'm unaware of?
Skin problems are common with fibro.
As many as 50 – 80 percent of individuals diagnosed with fibromyalgia will develop skin problems, including rashes.

The typical rash associated with fibromyalgia syndrome is red and can be flat or raised and bumpy. In some cases there is also itchiness, soreness or a crawling sensation. The exact cause of fibromyalgia rash is unknown, but scientists suggest fibromyalgia causes an immune reaction that makes the skin more sensitive.

http://www.fibromyalgiasyndrome.co.uk/s ... drome.html

User avatar
DebiB
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:49 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Skin allergy. Fibromyalgia. Giving up for now.

Post by DebiB » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:54 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:Natural does not mean allergy free. poison Ivy is all natural, so is hemlock and belladonna.

I react to lavender and most "floral" essential oils.
Very true. However I've had no other kinds of issues with any of the products I use.

User avatar
DebiB
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:49 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Skin allergy. Fibromyalgia. Giving up for now.

Post by DebiB » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:57 pm

Soothest Sleep wrote:I noticed in archived posts that others have had success using lanolin (Lansinoh) on the skin to ease the irritation, and it has worked for me, too. Have you tried it?
Yep. I'd been using it when this latest skin issue developed. My nose is still a mess.

User avatar
DebiB
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:49 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Skin allergy. Fibromyalgia. Giving up for now.

Post by DebiB » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:00 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
DebiB wrote:Is there a fibro/dermatological link I'm unaware of?
Skin problems are common with fibro.
As many as 50 – 80 percent of individuals diagnosed with fibromyalgia will develop skin problems, including rashes.

The typical rash associated with fibromyalgia syndrome is red and can be flat or raised and bumpy. In some cases there is also itchiness, soreness or a crawling sensation. The exact cause of fibromyalgia rash is unknown, but scientists suggest fibromyalgia causes an immune reaction that makes the skin more sensitive.

http://www.fibromyalgiasyndrome.co.uk/s ... drome.html
Thank you! I had no idea. I've never experienced what's described there, just the reactions with the masks and some acne/cystic acne in a couple areas of my face.