OSA and Weight Loss Surgery

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CosmosHuman

OSA and Weight Loss Surgery

Post by CosmosHuman » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:33 pm

I've been on the Auto CPAP since last August. I also am overweight, have diabetes, and a few other issues. In three weeks I am having gastric bypass surgery. I know this is very drastic but I've tried everything to lose weight, only to regain plus add more. I can lose weight but I just can't keep it off. Frankly, the diabetes is slowly killing me even with meds. The extra weight us killing me. My goal is to lose close to 100 pounds. Hell, I'm on seven pills and two injectibles a day. I've adjusted well to the Dreamstation and Amara View mask. I know losing weight can improve my OSA, but don't thin people still have OSA? How actually will losing weigh improve my OSA to the point I am "cured"?

It took me a very long to make this decision, it is a total lifestyle change for me and there are many dietary restrictions. For the past three months I've been through multiple medical, nutritional, and various testing appointments.

So, has anyone here had weight loss surgery with good results regarding OSA?

LSAT

Re: OSA and Weight Loss Surgery

Post by LSAT » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:01 pm

Weight loss will generally not cure you, but may make your sleep apnea easier to control...

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:53 am

If you are under 35, you MAY eliminate the need for a cpap when you've lost weight. Just don't count on it. In many cases and for most of those over 35, the best you will get is a need for reduced pressures.

I'm not going to try to talk you out of the surgery, but you need to realize that you will need ongoing support long after the surgery and the bariatric center is not going to provide it. MANY bariatric patients regain the weight. Out of the 7 people I know personally, the only one that has truly been successful continues to have support (it's been about 9 years since her surgery). What caused you to gain weight is typically emotional eating and THAT is what you have to learn to control. Good luck!!

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

sleepychar

Post by sleepychar » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:46 pm

I had weight loss surgery about 8 years ago. Although I wasn't on CPAP at the time, during that process I met quite a few people who were on CPAP before surgery. Some of those people were able to stop the CPAP after losing weight and some were not. I'm not sure what made the difference for those who could stop CPAP and those who still needed it.
Previously AirFit P10 for Her mask

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:07 pm

CosmosHuman wrote:I've been on the Auto CPAP since last August. I also am overweight, have diabetes, and a few other issues. In three weeks I am having gastric bypass surgery. I know this is very drastic but I've tried everything to lose weight, only to regain plus add more. I can lose weight but I just can't keep it off. Frankly, the diabetes is slowly killing me even with meds. The extra weight us killing me. My goal is to lose close to 100 pounds. Hell, I'm on seven pills and two injectibles a day. I've adjusted well to the Dreamstation and Amara View mask. I know losing weight can improve my OSA, but don't thin people still have OSA? How actually will losing weigh improve my OSA to the point I am "cured"?

It took me a very long to make this decision, it is a total lifestyle change for me and there are many dietary restrictions. For the past three months I've been through multiple medical, nutritional, and various testing appointments.

Unknown answer. You need to know the "source" of your OSA........and IF any weight loss may affect it.
If it's in your nasal passages, weight loss surgery is highly unlikely to help because your obstruction will still be there.
Far too many people and doctors THINK that the weight causes the obstructions when it may actually be that the weight is the "result" of the obstruction. OSA is mostly about the lack of oxygen when we sleep and how it screws up our metabolism.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:47 am

CosmosHuman wrote:I've been on the Auto CPAP since last August. I also am overweight, have diabetes, and a few other issues. In three weeks I am having gastric bypass surgery. I know this is very drastic but I've tried everything to lose weight, only to regain plus add more. I can lose weight but I just can't keep it off. Frankly, the diabetes is slowly killing me even with meds. The extra weight us killing me. My goal is to lose close to 100 pounds. Hell, I'm on seven pills and two injectibles a day. I've adjusted well to the Dreamstation and Amara View mask. I know losing weight can improve my OSA, but don't thin people still have OSA? How actually will losing weigh improve my OSA to the point I am "cured"?

Why pay for risky surgery when you can do the free reversible approach of fasting? Gastric bypass surgery is nothing more than enforced, and often irreversible, fasting therapy with added financial costs and risks for complications.

Check out the video below and at least try the free version first ...

Dr. Jason Fung - Fasting Therapy
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

sleepychar

Post by sleepychar » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:59 am

I had weight loss surgery (vertical sleeve gastrectomy) 8 years ago and lost 100 lbs. Now, 8 years later, I have regained approx 50 of those pounds. However, let me say that being 50 lbs lighter at 8 years out is nothing to sneeze at. I am losing some of those extra pounds now. I would also like to say, for those who have not struggled with trying to lose 100 lbs or more, that, in my opinion anyway, when you have a lot of weight to lose, it is harder in a number of ways than when you have weight to lose but not such a great amount. So, just personally, it bothers me when I hear people giving other people weight loss advice. Every person is different and every person has to find their own way. And, yes, I do know that some people are able to lose 100 lbs by normal dieting/fasting, whatever.
Previously AirFit P10 for Her mask

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:27 pm

DreamStalker wrote:Why pay for risky surgery when you can do the free reversible approach of fasting? Gastric bypass surgery is nothing more than enforced, and often irreversible, fasting therapy with added financial costs and risks for complications.

I am all for limiting foodal intake to achieve healthy weight. But, about this Fung guy, he says weight loss will reverse type 2 diabetes. How is it that I have very skinny friends with type 2 diabetes? And I had another friend who had been slightly overweight, but lost down to skin and bones in her final three years and still had type 2. Up until the day she died, the nurses were tightly controlling her blood sugar with insulin. This was even beyond when she was capable of eating.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:32 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:Why pay for risky surgery when you can do the free reversible approach of fasting? Gastric bypass surgery is nothing more than enforced, and often irreversible, fasting therapy with added financial costs and risks for complications.

I am all for limiting foodal intake to achieve healthy weight. But, about this Fung guy, he says weight loss will reverse type 2 diabetes. How is it that I have very skinny friends with type 2 diabetes? And I had another friend who had been slightly overweight, but lost down to skin and bones in her final three years and still had type 2. Up until the day she died, the nurses were tightly controlling her blood sugar with insulin. This was even beyond when she was capable of eating.
Read the book. It is not about weight loss, it is about your bodies reaction to the kind of food and the insulin it produces.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:29 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:

Sounds like the perfect malpractice lawsuit ... she could not possibly have high blood sugar if she was not eating. Perhaps they were injecting her with glucose intravenously? Still a great malpractice suit nonetheless ... too bad they killed her though.

Like spinner sez .... "fasting" is beyond weight loss. And fasting is more than just limiting food intake. Weight loss is just one of the many benefits of "fasting". Obviously, you didn't pay attention to what Dr. Fung said.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:35 pm

"The importance of weight loss

The link between excess weight and sleep apnea is well established. People who are overweight have extra tissue in the back of their throat, which can fall down over the airway and block the flow of air into the lungs while they sleep.

Though losing weight is easier said than done, it can yield real results. “If we can get people to lose weight, it would make both sleep apnea and other health problems [such as heart disease] go away,” says Dr. Lawrence Epstein, assistant medical director of clinical sleep medicine at Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women’s Hospital.

Losing just 10% of body weight can have a big effect on sleep apnea symptoms. In some cases, losing a significant amount of weight can even cure the condition."

KillingMe

Post by KillingMe » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:33 pm

wrote:Read the book. It is not about weight loss, it is about your bodies reaction to the kind of food and the insulin it produces.
Is this another one of those books where the author goes nuts about "processed foods and added sugars"?

My doctor told me to eat what I like, just eat one-half of what I had been eating. It works! No book reading.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:08 pm

Loads of rave Amazon reviews on Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book on reversing diabetes: https://www.amazon.com/End-Diabetes-Liv ... 0062219987

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:19 pm

KillingMe wrote:
wrote:Read the book. It is not about weight loss, it is about your bodies reaction to the kind of food and the insulin it produces.
Is this another one of those books where the author goes nuts about "processed foods and added sugars"?

My doctor told me to eat what I like, just eat one-half of what I had been eating. It works! No book reading.
Read the book. Read the blog. It may work for a while but unless you know the science behind it all you will fail. It sounds like your doctor just gave up trying.

Of course ignorance is bliss and then people whine "but nobody told me...."

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:25 pm

sleepychar wrote:I had weight loss surgery about 8 years ago. Although I wasn't on CPAP at the time, during that process I met quite a few people who were on CPAP before surgery. Some of those people were able to stop the CPAP after losing weight and some were not. I'm not sure what made the difference for those who could stop CPAP and those who still needed it.
And some of those were looking for a excuse to stop treatment, that by no means means they were cured, they just used the excuse to go untreated. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire