How Do You Get Used to the Loud Sound of the Blowing Air?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
breathingeasy8

How Do You Get Used to the Loud Sound of the Blowing Air?

Post by breathingeasy8 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:16 pm

Hi everyone. I am new to CPAP treatment and am on my 4th mask trial with full face Paykel & Fisher Simplus. As with the previous masks I tried and this one, I seem to waking up due to the what I consider loud sound of the air exhaling through the mask vents. My pattern seems to be that I fall alseep with little difficulty and then wake up 3.5 hours later to the loud sound of the air coming through the vents. I then eventually fall back asleep by disconnecting the hose so the pressure drops to a low number so the sound of the vents lessen. I then wake up about an hour later and this keeps repeating about every hour thereafter. There seem to be no leaks as I keep checking. It seems that as the air pressure increases, so does the sound which I think keeps waking me up. Has anyone else had difficulty getting use to the sound of the air blowing from the vents and, if so, what helped you? How long did it take you from you got used the noise?

Thank you so much!

avi123

Re: How Do You Get Used to the Loud Sound of the Blowing Air?

Post by avi123 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:31 pm

You can try using earplugs to stop hearing the sound.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

breathingeasy8

Post by breathingeasy8 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:44 pm

I already wear air plus, doesn't seem to help ,

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:00 pm

If you concentrate on your breathing and think about what it is doing for you it will become a comforting sound.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:01 pm

What mask are you using? Some blow air onto the bedding,
Which may need moving to a place of less resistance.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:31 pm

breathingeasy8 wrote:I already wear air plugs, doesn't seem to help ,
Then try other kinds of masks. In the past I tried about 6 nasal and full face masks and the air noise never bothered me. LEAKS were the problems.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

pete1

Post by pete1 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:26 pm

I also use the full face Paykel & Fisher Simplus full face. When I first started about a year ago, I was also was experiencing loud venting. What I notice was that when my apenas were causing the air pressure to increase. 12+ was noisy for me and woke me up. My machine runs at 8 at normal sleep and minor apneas. Which is quiet for me. It took me 3-4 months before I really got use to wearing a mask. To keep my apneas to a minimum, I sleep on my side, I wear a nose strip every night under my mask and I also use a mask liner called RemZzzz. Liner. Liner helps in getting a good seal and the mask feels so much more comfortable than without. When I first started out my AHI apneas were 30 to 40. Know AHI is around 1-2 and I'm dreaming again and feel so much better in the mornings. Wouldn't go to bed without it. Don't know if anything here will help you out but it did help me.

klv329

Post by klv329 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:47 pm

Is there a possibility that it isn't the noise that wakes you up?

Maybe use sleepyhead software to see what is going on with your therapy at or near the time you wake up.

Maybe other factors affecting your sleep, from other health issues to environmental issues to sleep hygiene issues.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:04 pm

I have chronic tinnitus. The best way to eliminate the sound is to have another, more pleasant sound. I found playing 'ocean waves' or 'cicadas' to work the best for both tinnitus and when the air keeps blowing on the sheets or the pillow. Now, I use either an amazon echo or my Itouch, but you can of course use an Mp3 player or a small DVD player. You can set it for an hour, but I'm typically asleep well before it gets to that. This is also helpful for those whose partners are bothered by sounds.

Youtube has plenty of sounds to use - just get a related app to download and transfer to your device, or tablet for play.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:07 pm

breathingeasy8 wrote:Hi everyone. I am new to CPAP treatment and am on my 4th mask trial with full face Paykel & Fisher Simplus. As with the previous masks I tried and this one, I seem to waking up due to the what I consider loud sound of the air exhaling through the mask vents. My pattern seems to be that I fall alseep with little difficulty and then wake up 3.5 hours later to the loud sound of the air coming through the vents. I then eventually fall back asleep by disconnecting the hose so the pressure drops to a low number so the sound of the vents lessen. I then wake up about an hour later and this keeps repeating about every hour thereafter. There seem to be no leaks as I keep checking. It seems that as the air pressure increases, so does the sound which I think keeps waking me up. Has anyone else had difficulty getting use to the sound of the air blowing from the vents and, if so, what helped you? How long did it take you from you got used the noise?

Thank you so much!
You need to identify the cause of the noise. Until you do, you can't solve the problem.
If you have a part of the pillow or blankets in front of the vent holes on the mask, it's going to make more noise.
If you don't have all the hoses connected properly, it can cause more noise if the air is actually leaking somewhere.
Some masks are probably just more noisy than other masks.
What pressure(s) is/are your machine set to?
Do you have a data-capable machine?
Do you use software to monitor your therapy?

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

SleepyMcgee

Post by SleepyMcgee » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:08 pm

Sound/white noise machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:21 pm

breathingeasy8 wrote:breathingeasy8
There is more than one thing in your post that we might be able to help you with if we have more information. Please fill out your equipment profile - https://www.cpaptalk.com/ucp.php?i=prof ... pment_info

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:52 am

FYI, don't ever.. ever... even think of blocking the vent. Did I say ever?

Sheriff

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:27 am

I think it's really about finding the right mask. For me, that was the Resmed Airfit P10. Whisper quiet and literally zero leaks.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:20 pm

The Latinist wrote:I think it's really about finding the right mask.
You are probably wrong and could send the OP on a wild goose chase.

The vents on the mask the OP is using should not be as loud as he has led us to believe. There is a suspicion that he is letting the vented air bounce off something.