Separate Travel CPAP vs Battery for main machine - UK buyer

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Purples

Separate Travel CPAP vs Battery for main machine - UK buyer

Post by Purples » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:15 pm

Hi,

Firstly a quick update: I've now switched from CPAP to APAP, having received my ResMed Airsense 10 Elite from the NHS yesterday. The hospital is DELIGHTED at my compliance and how well the CPAP is preventing my apneas (largely thanks to you lot for keeping me going when I could happily have chucked it out the window!).

Now I have to focus on an up-coming long haul holiday.

**Please note that I'm in the UK**

Questions:
- Do people generally think it's better to get a battery pack for the existing machine or buy a separate travel machine. I do travel a fair bit so luggage is a consideration. I'm in a fortunate position that cost is not the major factor.
- If getting a battery for the Resmed Airsense 10 Elite, which one would people recommend and where is best to buy in the UK (Resmed website itself seems to have broken links when trying to get to purchase from there).
- If getting a travel machine, which one, and since I quite like my current mask would people recommend getting another mask the same? Can you use a Resmed mask with a different brand travel machie?
- Again, if buying travel machine, where best to buy in the UK?

Many thanks in advance,
Purples

palerider

Re: Separate Travel CPAP vs Battery for main machine - UK buyer

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:31 am

Purples wrote:Firstly a quick update: I've now switched from CPAP to APAP, having received my ResMed Airsense 10 Elite from the NHS yesterday.
fwiw, the Elite is a CPAP, not an APAP, the Autoset model is an APAP.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:04 am

Purples wrote: - Do people generally think it's better to get a battery pack for the existing machine or buy a separate travel machine.
Yes. My approach was to buy a near duplicate of my "primary" machine so when travelling I was getting exactly the same therapy. I have a complete backup for all components. Although there are some small machines that save a pound or so, it isn't worth having a second rate machine.
Purples wrote: - If getting a battery for the Resmed Airsense 10 Elite, which one would people recommend and where is best to buy in the UK (Resmed website itself seems to have broken links when trying to get to purchase from there).
There is no way to advise about batteries unless you go in to some detail as to why you want a battery.
Purples wrote: - If getting a travel machine, which one, and since I quite like my current mask would people recommend getting another mask the same? Can you use a Resmed mask with a different brand travel machie?
With a few exceptions, masks are completely interchangeable. Finding a mask that fits your face is one of the most important aspects of therapy so needing to use a special mask would disqualify a machine for me.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

rick blaine

Post by rick blaine » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:08 am

Hello again, Purples:

1. "Do people generally think it's better to get a battery pack for the existing machine?"

Do you mean the problem is: "I'll be camping/ off-road/ off-the-grid/ someplace where there isn't mains power ... "?

If so, you will still have to get the battery charged somewhere and somehow. And then the question is: how long does a charge last?

2. Both ResMed UK and Philips Respironics UK will sell you a lithium battery. As it happens, ResMed have just e-mailed me today - they have a special offer, for the month of October, of their ResMed Power Station II lithium-Ion battery for £397. (Normal price £440).

Telephone orders only - and, to avoid my being discourteous to our hosts here, I will pm you the special orders phone number, and the code to quote to get the special offer.

3. Philips Respironics offer their 'Universal Portable Battery Pack' for £300. But from memory, that unit's 12v power suply won't work with Resmed machines, which require 24v. So don't let anyone sell you said item unless you have a 12v machine - even if it's the Reading-based firm 'Eu-Pap/ Intus' and even if their retail price is £199.

4. Eu-Pap also sells a third-party battery from a company called Tracer Power. They say* the light-weight, 600gm Tracer is good for two nights, and costs £125. And they say* their Ultra is good for four nights (no price given).

* Running times appear to be affected by the pressure used. Ie, a Resmed S9 Autoset is said to last 13 hours at 10cm of pressure, but only 9 hours at 15cm of pressure. Kinda makes you question that 'two nights' claim.

5. "If getting a battery for the Resmed AirSense 10 Elite, which one would people recommend, and where is best to buy in the UK?"

If you must have a battery, then IMO the ResMed Power Station is your best bet. Less faffing around, established brand name, support and/ or replacement in many countries if you ever run into trouble with it.

And buy it from ResMed UK directly. Plus, if you join their UK 'club', you get news about other offers, etc.

6. "If getting a travel machine, which one?"

I always tell people, "Don't get a travel machine" - and I say this not just because 'what you gain in lightness, you often lose in noisiness,' but because when I'm on the road, I like my comfort factors' to be both familiar and reliable. After a 12-hour flight, I don't want to have to plod my way thru yet another device's 'logic'. I just want to set up my system from muscle memory, and get my head down.

And by the time you pack the hose and the mask and the cables and the extension lead (vital additional item), the weight difference between a bag with all those plus an 800gm 'travel' machine and a bag with all those plus a 1200gm ResMed AirSense 10 machine is not that significant.

7. "Again, if buying travel machine, where best to buy in the UK?"

As far as I know, other than the people I've mentioned, there are no retailers in the UK. It's either them or the Interntional branch of Amazon.

8. I concur with whoever said it above. the Elite is a fixed pressure machine. And If I didn't say it before, you should buy the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her - it's auto-adjusting but has gentler algorithms. I'd buy it - not 'cos I'm such a girl, but because I like gentle.
Last edited by rick blaine on Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purples

Post by Purples » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Oops my mistake. Was rushing to get my message posted. I do understand that I've switched from APAP to CPAP.

Thanks for your very informative responses.

I was only thinking I need a battery as I'll be taking a long haul flight and I understand the airlines don't let you plug it in to their sockets (I get the reason). Other than that, I won't be sleeping anywhere without a power socket. If I understand correctly in Thailand and Malaysia I can simply use a travel plug converter. So the battery is only for the flight. I'll call ResMed and get their battery tomorrow, unless anyone would dissuade me from that approach?

Useful points raised about why not get a travel machine, particularly noise and familiarity - both things I know would annoy me when I'm trying to sleep away from home.

Rick Blaine: Again, thank you for such a very detailed and very informative response. Greatly appreciated. Since the NHS has provided the machine I wasn't thinking about buying a 2nd machine, much as the "for her" version sounds great!

rick blaine

Post by rick blaine » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:55 pm

OK. A few other UK-specific things occurred to me - I've sent them to you, Purples, as a private message.