travel sized cpap - anyone have one?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
docjl

Post by docjl » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:58 am

Saw an ad for travel sized cpap. I just retired and plan on traveling a lot. Anyone have experience with these? It would sure be nice to have a smaller sized machine for travel. Pros? Cons? Experiences? Anything?

Pugsy

Re: travel sized cpap - anyone have one?

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:18 am

The biggest drawback for me to one of the tiny machines is that to be tiny they don't have a humidifier and for me that is a deal breaker in terms of therapy.
They either have some sort of minimal humidity added or none and if you add a humidifier then you pretty much lose the tiny size advantage.

I have also heard people say that these tiny machines are more noisy than their regular machines.

Before considering these tiny machines you might see how you do without humidity. That may or may not answer your question right off the bat.
It would be a deal breaker for me and for that reason I am content to travel with my regular machine.
Hoses, masks and power supplies take up space no matter what machine is used.

Cpap.com has a couple of those "travel" machines that come with a 30 day return policy...I forget exactly which ones but you could check it out. The only way I would even consider one of the tiny machines (if I could get past the humidity issue) would be if I could return it if it didn't work out. Most machines aren't returnable.
If you decided to try one be sure to try it at home to make sure it works out okay....don't wait until the trip to find out you can't sleep with it and have your trip messed up.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:02 am

Any more, the only reason I pack the Intellipap is in case we have to sleep in the car.
I am so spoiled by my Airsense.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:23 am

One feature that you would especially need in travel machines is altitude compensation! Imagine you go to a place at a high elevation and a travel CPAP can't compensate!

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:26 am

D.H. wrote:One feature that you would especially need in travel machines is altitude compensation! Imagine you go to a place at a high elevation and a travel CPAP can't compensate!
why don't you *ever* say to yourself "do I know anything at all about what I'm about to post?" and then just don't post if the answer isn't "absolutely"?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:28 am

docjl wrote:Saw an ad for travel sized cpap. I just retired and plan on traveling a lot. Anyone have experience with these? It would sure be nice to have a smaller sized machine for travel. Pros? Cons? Experiences? Anything?
If no-one had one, it would point to a VERY SMALL market. Sure someone bought one, but there are many reasons that bigger is better. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

bill-e

Post by bill-e » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:47 am

I've been using the HDM Z1 family since they came out. I travel by plane weekly and would not travel with anything else.

Yes, it has altitude compensation to 8000ft

I use an HME for humidity, works well enough for me.

Travel has become such a chore for me that I wouldn't bring my CPAP if I didn't have a Z1 Auto and as a matter of fact that is what caused me to buy my first Z1, I stopped using my PRS1 for 4 nights a week while I was away.

Do a forum search on my user name and you'll fine lots of discussion about it.

DOstrugglebus

Post by DOstrugglebus » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:28 am

I just saw this one online but it doesn't have any reviews yet- anyone care to chime in?

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/apex-i ... ct-image-3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:37 am

Before I would spend $485 on a travel machine, I would buy this S9 autoset for $450... Especially if you will be traveling "a lot". MUCH better machine.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... ifier.html

egzbuen

Post by egzbuen » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:30 am

DOstrugglebus wrote:I just saw this one online but it doesn't have any reviews yet- anyone care to chime in?

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/apex-i ... ct-image-3

Used this for more than 2 weeks on trial. I liked it a lot. Modern looking. Super quiet performance, light weight, auto cpap.

Drawbacks I can remember were incompatibility with Sleepyhead, it's own software provided minimal info and it was hard to remove the humidifier. I always found little reviews on it back then.

Plus, I got my brand new 560 Respironics cheaper than the price of this Apex.
docjl wrote:Saw an ad for travel sized cpap. I just retired and plan on traveling a lot. Anyone have experience with these? It would sure be nice to have a smaller sized machine for travel. Pros? Cons? Experiences? Anything?

Sent from heaven

DOstrugglebus

Post by DOstrugglebus » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:48 am

Thanks for the input. I don't need a travel size one at the moment but in the next couple months I will be looking for one. Although my fear is I rush out of the oncall room and forget to take the mask off and either I break the machine or my neck lol

cant_sleep_in_nj

Post by cant_sleep_in_nj » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:49 am

been using a transcend unit during the week when i travel for about 2 years or so. use it 4 nights per week. its been flawless for me. just got a hardly used Z1 unit today, havent tried it on the road but tonight im gonna try it at home and i can report back. it is slightly louder than the transcend but it wont bother me at all. I also do not use a humidifier so take it from where it comes