Dreamstation - clicking - problem solved - begins again

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
snoozysue

Dreamstation - clicking - problem solved - begins again

Post by snoozysue » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:40 am

Hi. I have had a Dreamstation Auto for almost 3 months and all has been going well. Earlier this week I was away from home for a few days and the machine was positioned much closer to my head than I would have at home.
I woke during the first night and heard a clicking sound. I realised it was every time I inhaled. The next night all was Ok when I started but again when I stirred during the night I heard the clicking sound on each inhale and sometimes on exhale too.
I returned home a few night ago and can still hear the clicking sound - much quieter as it is further away from my head.
I don't think it had this noise when I first bought it but I am not really sure - it is only know that I am aware of it and it is annoying me.
Does anyone know if this is usual or does it sound like I have a problem with the machine.
Thanks
Last edited by snoozysue on Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Dreamstation - clicking sound

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:51 am

You don't say what your pressure settings are but is it possible you have exhale relief enabled and there is something happening to allow for quick changes in inhale and exhale?

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:07 am

Please make sure that the hose is dry, the tank is not overfilled, that the humidifier is securely attached to the CPAP, and that the humidifier door is properly closed.

Also, did anything change besides you traveled? For instance, a new mask or face piece, a new hose, etc.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:15 am

snoozysue wrote:Hi. I have had a Dreamstation Auto for almost 3 months and all has been going well. Earlier this week I was away from home for a few days and the machine was positioned much closer to my head than I would have at home.
I woke during the first night and heard a clicking sound. I realised it was every time I inhaled. The next night all was Ok when I started but again when I stirred during the night I heard the clicking sound on each inhale and sometimes on exhale too.
I returned home a few night ago and can still hear the clicking sound - much quieter as it is further away from my head.
I don't think it had this noise when I first bought it but I am not really sure - it is only know that I am aware of it and it is annoying me.
Does anyone know if this is usual or does it sound like I have a problem with the machine.
Thanks
it's an engineering design issue in the dreamstation, what you're hearing is the filter rattling around when you inhale.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:10 am

So, maybe a pinch or two of Sugru, strategically placed?
(Number 20,000---ta-daaa)

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:18 am

chunkyfrog wrote:So, maybe a pinch or two of Sugru, strategically placed?

Sugru is the word of the day!

Impressive accomplishment, ChunkyFrog.
C ngratulati ns!
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:21 am

chunkyfrog wrote:So, maybe a pinch or two of Sugru, strategically placed?
possibly... or wedge a bit of paper in there.

I've read about this issue elsewhere.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

snoozysue

Post by snoozysue » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:11 pm

Thank you
I have never heard of Sugru (but a quick Google search shows it is available in Australia now) - where should I put it as it seems like it will adhere permanently?

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:44 pm

snoozysue wrote:Thank you
I have never heard of Sugru (but a quick Google search shows it is available in Australia now) - where should I put it as it seems like it will adhere permanently?
my guess would be on the door, arranged so that it just presses on the filter a touch, to stabilize it. either drape a bit of cling film over the filter itself or wet it when doing the molding, sugru won't stick to a wet surface.

in the meantime, I'd try wedging a bit of folded paper in the slot where the filter slides in to hold it in place.

snoozysue

Post by snoozysue » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:43 pm

Thank you - I will try paper first and see how it goes

Soosecip

Post by Soosecip » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:25 am

I've used the DreamStation for 166 days and have not experienced the noise you describe. I would recommend you double-check the filter fitment, make sure it is snug (a Philips brand?), hose connections are tight, machine on a stable platform with no wobbles, hose routing is secure, etc. I'm just not a proponent of modifying equipment until I find the problem and see if the manufacturer or the equipment supplier can offer a solution.

Additional Comments: Min-12 Max-20, Ramp start 8, Buckwheat pillow, Cervical collar, SleepyHead & DreamMapper

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:29 am

Soosecip wrote: I'm just not a proponent of modifying equipment until I find the problem and see if the manufacturer or the equipment supplier can offer a solution.
regardless, it's a known issue.

klm49

Post by klm49 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:50 am

snoozysue wrote:Hi. I have had a Dreamstation Auto for almost 3 months and all has been going well. Earlier this week I was away from home for a few days and the machine was positioned much closer to my head than I would have at home.
Thanks
I have not heard a clicking as you suggest. If you over fill the humidifier you will hear a gurgling sound for sure. Last time I was changing filters on mine I noticed a small piece of plastic on the side of the filter had broken. There is one on either side and I suppose they are to firmly hold the filter down when it is inserted in the machine. I am including a picture to show you what the filter should look like on each side. I can see a possible clicking noise if both of these were broken or if possibly they came off and were inside the machine. If you find yours are broken and missing I would remove the humidifier water and the filter, turn machine on its side and see if anything comes out of the filter holder in the machine.

http://imgur.com/a/AVuUK

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

Sleepinvane

Post by Sleepinvane » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:59 pm

Make sure you aren't putting any upward tension on the resivoir cover. I just went through a clicking noise problem and it was the hose pulling up slightly on the cover

snoozysue

Post by snoozysue » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:56 pm

Thanks Sleepinvane
I have been trying to ignore it but decided to experiment this morning. I took out the filter and it still made the noise.
I held the hose near where it connects to the water container very securely and the clicking noise stopped.
I will ring supplier on Tuesday (we have public holiday tomorrow)
Thanks to everyone who gave me advise - it was appreciated.