F&P Pilairo Q Nasal Pillow -Switched to DreamWear

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
moonslice

Re: F&P Pilairo Q Nasal Pillow -Switched to DreamWear

Post by moonslice » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:00 pm

I tried the AirFit P10 tonight for exactly 10 seconds. Something was very wrong. I heard popping noises immediately and then water started shooting out of the nasal mask! Remember, this was a used mask and this is the first time I've tried it. There was a lot of water in the hose. I had some water in the humidifier chamber, but not much. Not sure what happened. Any ideas? Do I have to wait for the hose to dry before trying again? It was dry before I tried it tonight.

I just got back from vacation and didn't take my CPAP with me. Tonight is the first night I'm trying it again, and this happens. I guess I have to go back to the Dreamwear.

I'm still annoyed with the DME for not telling me I only got one mask exchange. I would buy another one myself sans insurance coverage, but not sure how much I'm willing to invest at this point. I'm on the verge of giving this machine back, but part of me wants to meet compliance so I can keep it as an option.

My fitting for the dental appliance is August 31, and my sleep doc appointment is September 1. I haven't seen the sleep doc since before the home sleep study. So, I'm gonna just bombard him with questions.

I also just today started taking HRT again after being off of it for two years. I found some research that looks somewhat promising on its effect on OSA. I've also lost about 6 pounds, and still working on losing more. I've found that if I have baked chicken with roasted red pepper hummus on a whole grain wrap with veggie chips for lunch each day, there's just no way to avoid losing weight. Also, no desserts, and small portions at dinner.

Anyway, here's some research I found about HRT and OSA.
http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/full/10. ... 7tO8iKZORt
Not currently using CPAP.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:15 am

moonslice wrote:I tried the AirFit P10 tonight for exactly 10 seconds. Something was very wrong. I heard popping noises immediately and then water started shooting out of the nasal mask! Remember, this was a used mask and this is the first time I've tried it. There was a lot of water in the hose. I had some water in the humidifier chamber, but not much. Not sure what happened. Any ideas? Do I have to wait for the hose to dry before trying again? It was dry before I tried it tonight.
The mask and hose didn't try completely after you washed it. There was probably some water left in the hose when you left it to dry. First, hold the mask up and let any water drain down out of the hose. Then, just hook the hose and mask up to the machine turn it on and let it blow. Any water will tend to collect near the ends of the pillows around the openings. Flick the openings of the pillows with your finger while it is blowing to help free any water droplets that get stuck there. In my experience, it's pretty common for a few drops of water to remain in hose/pillow after washing and a few drops can feel like a lot when they hit your nose. I usually have to do the finger flick before donning the mask after washing just the pillows, even though I shook them out and let them air dry after washing. Doesn't take long, a minute or two to get rid of any water droplets that have remained.

moonslice

Post by moonslice » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:59 pm

Thanks Jay. Will try. I washed the mask before vacation so it's been drying a long time! It should not have been wet inside, and I didn't wash the main hose. But maybe it still had water somehow.

droder

Post by droder » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58jWIeg_VlY
Make sure your frame is the correct size. This video was very helpful to me. I initially had the medium frame and found that it was actually just the slightest bit too large. Now that I have the correct sized frame and cradle, I am in love with my DreamWear!
CuddleCalm weighted blanket for RLS.

moonslice

Post by moonslice » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:40 pm

Droder, not sure I tried the small frame. I do have the medium one now. They won't let me exchange it, so I'd have to pay for it myself or wait for insurance to cover another one in a few months. I can always try on a small though, just in case.

Jay, I think I got rid of the water and tried on the AirFit again. Haven't tried sleeping with it yet. That's later! My cat totally thought I was trying to play with him when I was waving the tubing around to get the water out --- dangerous!