How long till you started noticing a difference?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sylvia54

Re: How long till you started noticing a difference?

Post by Sylvia54 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:58 am

"It could be harmful to him to hear "It took me six weeks." or "It took me four months." if his pressure is too low, or his leak is too high. He could waste weeks waiting to feel better. Or worse, he could give up not realizing that his therapy needs to be optimized and monitored."

ChicagoGranny; Going by my own recent experience, you are exactly right.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:01 pm

"How long till you started noticing a difference?" The OP, in my opinion, started a poll, just without the formal "poll" header. I'd like to assume that this person is not a three year old lacking in powers of logic and reason. "Harm" ? Really? If the aforementioned/ un-named poll continues, there will likely be some that will post their experiences of waiting a year for improvements that have yet to materialize. From those contributions, I'd like to believe that a thinking adult would be able to draw a valid conclusion that mileage truly does vary for each individual..... and that perhaps, more reading/questions on Pap therapy optimization are in order. Harm ? Really ? LMAO !

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:31 pm

Gasper62 wrote:From those contributions, I'd like to believe that a thinking adult would be able to draw a valid conclusion that mileage truly does vary for each individual.....
And that is exactly the problem with giving a direct answer to the question as posed!

Tripman and others in his situation might very well think they just need to keep on doing what they are doing and things will get better in time. All the while, their therapy may be sub-optimal, and they will never feel energetic.

The first message that needs to go to a newbie is that their CPAP therapy needs to be evaluated under real conditions and tweaked when necessary.

Let it never be on my conscience that a newbie used sub-optimal CPAP therapy for six months because one of you said it took six months before you felt better!
Gasper62 wrote:The OP, in my opinion, started a poll, just without the formal "poll" header.
Now you are making up stuff to cover your incompetence in giving good help to a newbie.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:21 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Gasper62 wrote:From those contributions, I'd like to believe that a thinking adult would be able to draw a valid conclusion that mileage truly does vary for each individual.....
And that is exactly the problem with giving a direct answer to the question as posed!

Tripman and others in his situation might very well think they just need to keep on doing what they are doing and things will get better in time. All the while, their therapy may be sub-optimal, and they will never feel energetic.

The first message that needs to go to a newbie is that their CPAP therapy needs to be evaluated under real conditions and tweaked when necessary.

Let it never be on my conscience that a newbie used sub-optimal CPAP therapy for six months because one of you said it took six months before you felt better!
Gasper62 wrote:The OP, in my opinion, started a poll, just without the formal "poll" header.
Now you are making up stuff to cover your incompetence in giving good help to a newbie.
And..... you're delusional, and obviously incapable of reading and comprehending the question plainly posed (and without ambiguity) by the OP. If they're serious about their treatment, it's unlikely they'll just post one vague question and proceed on the basis of the answers that are given. (unless they're an imbecile, of course) OMG...how's yer conscience doin' now ?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:28 pm

I don't think Tripman is an imbecile. That word came from you.

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:47 pm

Omne wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Omne wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote: Now, Den is right. All the other answers are wrong.
Um, I think it really has been 1 1/2 months and I'm pretty sure I only starting noticing it a week or so ago. I'm also pretty sure it's been an incremental improvement.

If you know something I don't know, please let me in on it.
Patient-centered responses are the most valuable to newbies. Self-centered responses - not so good.

Understand?
Did you even bother to read the original post?

" I am new to this and have only had the machine for 2 days but how long did it take you to notice differences.

In other words the poster specifically asked for "self-centered responses".

Understand?
I, and most others did. It would seem that Granny....... not so much. Some of the self-important respiratory therapist wannabes 'round here crack me up when they get all serious and preachy.

Caymangirl

Post by Caymangirl » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:41 pm

[quote]The biggest improvemnt has been in my mindset. I now realise that depression (and its related symptoms) had been a regular part of my life for quite a while. This is no longer an issue.

Obviously there is no straightforward answer to this, but I find people's comments helpful. We will improve at different rates, but we will all improve. The quote above is very helpful to me, because mindset is important. I believe that I am getting better, and I am not going to let temporary setbacks send me into a tailspin. A positive mental attitude is critical.

Omne

Post by Omne » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:49 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Omne wrote:" I am new to this and have only had the machine for 2 days but how long did it take you to notice differences.

In other words the poster specifically asked for "self-centered responses".

Understand?
People who are good at analysis and problem solving understand that patients often ask the wrong questions. Accurately defining the problem is the first step in making improvements and finding solutions. In this case the problem has not been defined.

Truly amazing. The poster asks a question but you, in your wisdom, realize that you know what information he needs, not what he wants. It must be a terrible burden to know so much that you can decide what information to give them lest they receive the wrong information and perish.

You know, we could really make this forum a lot more efficient. We all just need to stop posting and then you could simply post and tell each of us what we need to know. Please remember to put our names in the subject line so we'll know which answer is for whom.

Seriously, I am actually amazed that someone could be so arrogant and patronizing that they think they can decide what someone else needs to know when they ask for completely different information.

The question originally asked was perfectly reasonable. Finding out what other people experienced and how long they took to feel better is actually useful, even if you don't think so. Not a single person told the OP that there was a set time and nobody even hinted that it didn't require finding the right settings and that it isn't different for everyone. When I was just starting CPAP the fact that some people felt better right away while others took a month or several months made it easier to wait and keep using the machine and not get worried that it's taking too long or not working at all. Reading that even when the settings are right it's not necessarily going to magically fix everything and that it may be a gradual improvement was something I needed to know. You may not be able to glean any useful information from other people's experiences but some of us can.

I'm glad that people didn't decide they knew what was best for me and treat me like a small child when I first joined the forum. Based on your arrogance I'm know I'm flogging a dead horse here and you aren't going to accept even a bit of what I said but I felt like trying anyway.

I would add "Understand?" but I know you don't.

Ta.....

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:16 pm

Omne wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:People who are good at analysis and problem solving understand that patients often ask the wrong questions. Accurately defining the problem is the first step in making improvements and finding solutions. In this case the problem has not been defined.
Truly amazing. The poster asks a question but you, in your wisdom, realize that you know what information he needs, not what he wants. It must be a terrible burden to know so much that you can decide what information to give them lest they receive the wrong information and perish..
much as I hate to admit it (:D) I have to agree, at least in principle, with Granny here...

people that don't know what they're doing *very often* ask questions based on their limited knowledge, and if you just answer their question, they end up with a very insufficient answer.

there's so many times in the past, someone comes up to me, and asks a computer related question, "which is the equivalent of "how can I get over the mountain pass that's on the other side of the woods" I *could* tell them the answer to exactly what they ask, but then they'd be involved in a 8 step process, because they've already got several lined up... all sorts of weird hoops to jump through. I usually would ask them where they're trying to get to.. "grandmas house" and the answer was very often "well, forget about the mountain pass, because if you take this shortcut through the tunnel over there, you'll get there in about a 10th of the time, with only two things to do, not 8.

of course, those aren't the actual questions, but the concept holds, someone asks a question based on limited knowledge and just simply answering it is often NOT the right thing, the right thing to do is find out more of what their needs are, what they're actually trying to accomplish in the end and then you can give them a *better* answer.

you'll see similar things here, where someone asks the wrong question, because they don't know any better. and are constantly making the wrong assumptions "I CAN'T" instead of "how could I?"

I saw someone a couple days ago on another forum proclaim that their air10 machine had a cellular connection, and the antenna was in the hose, after someone gave them a off the cuff answer to a question.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:40 am

Wulfman... wrote:
tripman wrote:I am new to this and have only had the machine for 2 days but how long did it take you to notice differences. Especially waking up with excessive fatigue, not being sleepy or tired all day after you started using the machine.
It all depends on how soon you get your therapy optimized........finding the correct pressure, getting leaks minimized, getting a sufficient amount of sleep time, using software to monitor therapy, not falling back to sleep without using your machine, no naps without the machine......etc., etc., etc.

It's "baby steps" and "one night at a time".
You didn't get this condition overnight and you won't reverse the effects overnight. Be patient.

Den

+1
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:32 am

Omne wrote:The poster asks a question but you, in your wisdom, realize that you know what information he needs, not what he wants.
Well, at least you got one of your sentences right.

Omne

Post by Omne » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:29 pm

palerider wrote:
Omne wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:People who are good at analysis and problem solving understand that patients often ask the wrong questions. Accurately defining the problem is the first step in making improvements and finding solutions. In this case the problem has not been defined.
Truly amazing. The poster asks a question but you, in your wisdom, realize that you know what information he needs, not what he wants. It must be a terrible burden to know so much that you can decide what information to give them lest they receive the wrong information and perish..
much as I hate to admit it (:D) I have to agree, at least in principle, with Granny here...

people that don't know what they're doing *very often* ask questions based on their limited knowledge, and if you just answer their question, they end up with a very insufficient answer.
<sigh> I'm not disagreeing with that. If someone asks a technical question, or even a question that has a right or wrong answer I'll agree with you 100%. The problem in this case is that OP asked for people's personal experiences, not how to set a machine or how long it will take them to adjust. There is no right or wrong answer when asking people about their personal experiences or what they feel. What irritated me, and still does, isn't that What's her face added that it's individual or that settings are important, she posted that the experiences that people shared were simply "wrong". I could have stuck with it being a non-sequitur but her gratuitous negation of people's sharing pissed me off. That's why I decided there's little enough value that I've stopped bothering to read her posts.

I've spent my life in highly technical areas, first nuclear engineering and now as a Tax Manager running a bunch of CPAs and MBTs that do complex audits. I know how to deal with misdirected questions and, absent clarification from the OP, there was nothing to indicate this was one of them.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:49 pm

Omne wrote: What irritated me, and still does, isn't that What's her face added that it's individual or that settings are important, she posted that the experiences that people shared were simply "wrong".
well, good luck in your continued tilting at windmills while battling What's her face. I predict you'll have about as much luck, Don.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:59 pm

Omne wrote:I've spent my life in highly technical areas, first nuclear engineering and now as a Tax Manager running a bunch of CPAs and MBTs that do complex audits.
When your argument is faulty, cite your credentials. Questionable as they may be.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:05 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Omne wrote:I've spent my life in highly technical areas, first nuclear engineering and now as a Tax Manager running a bunch of CPAs and MBTs that do complex audits.
When your argument is faulty, cite your credentials. Questionable as they may be.
is that a corollary to
"in my experience, when someone starts a comment with their credentials, they're a goof" --AvE