when to replace cpap machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ldyjane1@aol.com

when to replace cpap machine?

Post by ldyjane1@aol.com » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:09 am

My Resmed 9 is 5 yrs old. I was wondering at what point should machine be switched out for new model?

Julie

Re: when to replace cpap machine?

Post by Julie » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:47 am

5 years is usually when insurance co's allow you to get a new one (keep the old for a backup), but you have to ask them about it. If not with a co, and you can afford a new one, do it anyway as your old one will eventually wear out even if no one can predict the day (we all sleep diff. hours).

lindalrc

Post by lindalrc » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:12 am

The controller in the machine is a computer; the motor runs a fan. Most computers do not go more than 5 years and new upgrades are nice. So, start your shopping and reading so you can make a good decision without rushing and make the purchase when the insurance or your pocketbook allows. If you know what you want, you can ask the Dr. to write for a specific machine and not leave the DME guys an open choice. Definitely keep the old for backup.

pettyfan45

Post by pettyfan45 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:38 am

lindalrc wrote:The controller in the machine is a computer; the motor runs a fan. Most computers do not go more than 5 years and new upgrades are nice. So, start your shopping and reading so you can make a good decision without rushing and make the purchase when the insurance or your pocketbook allows. If you know what you want, you can ask the Dr. to write for a specific machine and not leave the DME guys an open choice. Definitely keep the old for backup.
Ok the computer in a CPAP machine is more like the computer in a car than the computer/ phone you would use to post on the Internet. The computer ls in a CPAP machine is very simple and doesn't have updates and things using to many system resources (why more complex computers only last a few years) so the computers in them can often out last the fan motors as long as they are not exposed to a large power surge that could short them out they can run a lot longer than 5 years. Honestly I would be more concerned with the fan motor failing than the computer because moving parts will fail at some point, so untill the day they make a CPAP with not moving parts.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:34 pm

ldyjane1@aol.com wrote:My Resmed 9 is 5 yrs old. I was wondering at what point should machine be switched out for new model?
If you don't already have a spare/backup machine, I'd strongly advise getting one. Get a new(er) one and keep the S9 for a backup. Never rely on ONE machine for all of your therapy. These things can and will break and at the worst possible times.

If you like the S9, there are quite a few of them still available on the market......some slightly used ones at attractive prices.
From what I've heard, the newer models ( Airsense 10 ) is mostly the same machine in a different package.

If your insurance will get you another one, fine.
If not......and you have a copy of your prescription ( which you should have ), check out some of the online sellers like https://www.cpap.com or http://www.secondwindcpap.com

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:45 pm

lindalrc wrote:The controller in the machine is a computer; the motor runs a fan. Most computers do not go more than 5 years and new upgrades are nice.
most computers don't go more than 5 years because the software (typically windows) keeps getting more and more bloated and inefficient, and needing more and more processing power to make it not crawl like a severely wounded animal.

the software on a cpap has barely changed since 2010, there's only *tiny* differences in the S9 series and air10 series, except for the "for her" mode on the airsense10 autoset for her, which is new.

there have been teething problems reported on the air10 machines, people not happy with the way the water tank fits in, and other mostly small issues.

that said, if one's insurance allows one to get another machine, or one decides to just pick one up on the secondary market, it's an *excellent* idea to have a second machine for backup for when whatever one's primary is, fails.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.