Will tap water damage my machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cardsfan

Will tap water damage my machine?

Post by Cardsfan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:48 am

I travel a lot, and have a question about tap water. Will using tap water while in hotels, cause any kind of damage to my cpap machine? I know it will leave deposits in the humidifier, but what about the machine itself? I'd rather have the convenience of using tap water than transporting distilled water, if the only problem is it requires me to replace the humidifier water chamber.

Julie

Re: Will tap water damage my machine?

Post by Julie » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:01 am

No of course not, not unless it's so foul or full of harsh chemicals that the locals can't drink it, and even then it would probably only affect the humidifier itself.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:34 am

Personally, I have found I cannot tolerate the smell and taste of the water in some places. I would rather use bottled water than tap water in those places. I just pick up a jug of distilled water when I get to where I am going and toss it out when I leave.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

egzbuen

Post by egzbuen » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:40 am

Best to buy bottled water.

I'll use tap for extreme cases where you really can't purchase any bottled ones.

Sent from hell

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:45 am

But you have to be careful - many bottled waters contain all kinds of things you really don't want in your machine... distilled is good, others not so much at all. Tap is still better unless it really isn't.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:47 am

I use tap water when I visit my daughter. Her water is a tad "hard"...I just clean the water chamber with vinegar if I see too much mineral deposits when I get home.
I have also used tap water here at home when I have run out of distilled and my water is well water and loaded with minerals. Again I might clean the chamber with vinegar if it looks a bit yucky.
I live out in the country and if the roads are bad (ice, snow, etc) and I forgot to stock up on distilled water...I just use tap water until I can get to town. Small town...once the 2 grocery stores were totally out of distilled water so I had no choice.....since the next closest source was 20 miles away and I didn't want to drive that far.

Tap water won't hurt the machine unless you get it in the machine itself. Now it might not smell so good or something like that but as to doing anything to the machine itself...won't hurt the machine.
It isn't the end of the world if we use tap water in terms of the blower unit itself or the heating plate on the humidifier.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:34 am

Cardsfan wrote:I travel a lot, and have a question about tap water. Will using tap water while in hotels, cause any kind of damage to my cpap machine? I know it will leave deposits in the humidifier, but what about the machine itself? I'd rather have the convenience of using tap water than transporting distilled water, if the only problem is it requires me to replace the humidifier water chamber.
Your question should have been about damage to your lungs and not to the CPAP machine.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:32 am

egzbuen wrote:Best to buy bottled water.

I'll use tap for extreme cases where you really can't purchase any bottled ones.
no, tap water is fine, please don't spread FUD.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:34 am

avi123 wrote:
Cardsfan wrote:I travel a lot, and have a question about tap water. Will using tap water while in hotels, cause any kind of damage to my cpap machine? I know it will leave deposits in the humidifier, but what about the machine itself? I'd rather have the convenience of using tap water than transporting distilled water, if the only problem is it requires me to replace the humidifier water chamber.
Your question should have been about damage to your lungs and not to the CPAP machine.
your response should have been left in your head.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:39 am

avi123 wrote:
So I guess showers are dangerous too? Don't come to near a water fall or the ocean! And OMG FOG!!!!!

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

teachcsg

Post by teachcsg » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:50 pm

+1 for Pugsy's reply. Follow that and you will be fine.
Cesar Garza, RRT
Registred Respiratory Therapist
http://www.lastminuteceus.com

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:08 pm

It depends on how deep the tap water your soaking it in and how long you hold it under. Unplug from a/c before soaking. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Gasper62

Post by Gasper62 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:27 pm

palerider wrote:
egzbuen wrote:Best to buy bottled water.

no, tap water is fine, please don't spread FUD.

Words of great wisdom from a guy who has admittedly only used/owned a machine for a matter of weeks.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:56 pm

Thanks all. What is FUD.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:20 pm

Cardsfan wrote:Thanks all. What is FUD.
FUD.......

Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05