APAP what causes increase in pressure

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
User avatar
palerider
Posts: 32308
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas(ish).

Re: APAP what causes increase in pressure

Post by palerider » Thu May 19, 2016 7:30 pm

Wulfman... wrote:No.
Even without the possibility of Central Apneas, the Flow Limitations can still drive the pressures to the maximum setting.
If the person has some sort of heart condition and lots of Flow Limitations, then "runaway" pressure increases could be problematic.

And, I wasn't talking to YOU. I was asking the OP a question based on her post.
you and your anti-apap hate bias, you've fixated on the whole flow limitation thing to excess.

twisting the words of publications, taking things out of context to try and scare a new person who's trying to learn something simple... fabricating what you see as 'justifications'.

it's deplorable.

_________________
Mask: Bleep DreamPort CPAP Mask Solution
Additional Comments: S9 VPAP Auto
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

User avatar
Wulfman...
Posts: 6693
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:41 pm
Location: Nearest fishing spot

Re: APAP what causes increase in pressure

Post by Wulfman... » Thu May 19, 2016 7:40 pm

palerider wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:No.
Even without the possibility of Central Apneas, the Flow Limitations can still drive the pressures to the maximum setting.
If the person has some sort of heart condition and lots of Flow Limitations, then "runaway" pressure increases could be problematic.

And, I wasn't talking to YOU. I was asking the OP a question based on her post.
you and your anti-apap hate bias, you've fixated on the whole flow limitation thing to excess.

twisting the words of publications, taking things out of context to try and scare a new person who's trying to learn something simple... fabricating what you see as 'justifications'.

it's deplorable.
Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment!
You never miss an opportunity to distort MY intentions and motivations.......which is to EDUCATE the users in how this therapy works (as best as I can). I've always advocated that people get an APAP whenever possible, but they need to know how they work and why they do what they do.

Your Ron Popeil approach is "set it and forget it"......everything will be just fine and just "use a bigger hammer" (more pressure) any time you can. To Hell with sleep "quality", right?


Den

.
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 32308
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas(ish).

Re: APAP what causes increase in pressure

Post by palerider » Thu May 19, 2016 8:21 pm

Wulfman... wrote:You never miss an opportunity to distort MY intentions and motivations.......which is to EDUCATE the users in how this therapy works (as best as I can).
the only problem I have with your "intentions and motivations" is your terribly distorted view of APAPs. where you're one sided, where you pick and choose things to say, where you DO NOT PRESENT A BALANCED AND FULL PICTURE

I've said before, many times, that you've full of great advice, and wisdom, especially but not limited to older machines that many people here may not have experience with, or ready knowledge of.

it's only on the subject of APAPs that your bias throws you into giving out lopsided advice.
Wulfman... wrote:I've always advocated that people get an APAP whenever possible,
and then turn it to cpap mode.

_________________
Mask: Bleep DreamPort CPAP Mask Solution
Additional Comments: S9 VPAP Auto
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

User avatar
Wulfman...
Posts: 6693
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:41 pm
Location: Nearest fishing spot

Re: APAP what causes increase in pressure

Post by Wulfman... » Thu May 19, 2016 9:15 pm

palerider wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:You never miss an opportunity to distort MY intentions and motivations.......which is to EDUCATE the users in how this therapy works (as best as I can).
the only problem I have with your "intentions and motivations" is your terribly distorted view of APAPs. where you're one sided, where you pick and choose things to say, where you DO NOT PRESENT A BALANCED AND FULL PICTURE

I've said before, many times, that you've full of great advice, and wisdom, especially but not limited to older machines that many people here may not have experience with, or ready knowledge of.

it's only on the subject of APAPs that your bias throws you into giving out lopsided advice.
Wulfman... wrote:I've always advocated that people get an APAP whenever possible,
and then turn it to cpap mode.
Your perception is incorrect. (more like "FUBAR")
I have no problems with people USING APAPs in ranges of pressure as long as they're not having problems and understand why their results are as they are.
It's the posts/threads I mainly post to where people are using APAPs in ranges of pressures that are giving them horrible therapy.......and they don't know why. To which my usual response is (after looking at some of their reports) is to try increasing minimum pressures, using narrower ranges or TRYING straight pressure.
It's typical of many of those posts that the user has been on a machine for some period of time and they are complaining that they're not feeling well-rested (or they're feeling horrible or worse than when they started therapy).
Far too often, they had an in-lab sleep study and were prescribed a specific pressure.......then they got an APAP and couldn't resist the urge to disregard their prescribed therapy and go right to a range.
Other "clues" to ineffective therapy and sleep are massive leaks, them having to reset their machine numerous times during the night and a whole host of related issues.
Since Flow Limitations and Snores are the two primary causes for pressure increases, that's also a big red flag that jumps out when looking at some of these reports.

SOMETIMES.......CPAP mode is just better therapy than ranges of pressures. And, sometimes the ranges work better for them. The users who monitor their own therapy need to be able to recognize which modes and settings work best for them and why. For all intents and purposes, if they understand all that and are NOT having problems......they won't be posting here wondering why their therapy isn't working and why they're still tired after months or years of therapy.

It's that simple.


Den

.
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 32308
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas(ish).

Re: APAP what causes increase in pressure

Post by palerider » Thu May 19, 2016 9:41 pm

Wulfman... wrote:Since Flow Limitations and Snores are the two primary causes for pressure increases,
AND apneas. this is the problem, you just can't be balanced about apaps, just because you hate them in your own therapy.
Wulfman... wrote:SOMETIMES.......CPAP mode is just better therapy than ranges of pressures. And, sometimes the ranges work better for them.


and if you'd remember that, instead of galloping to the conclusion that it's that devil apap and pressure changes disturbing sleep, without finding out *anything* else about the person and their situation, we'd all be better off.
Wulfman... wrote:The users who monitor their own therapy need to be able to recognize which modes and settings work best for them and why. For all intents and purposes, if they understand all that and are NOT having problems......they won't be posting here wondering why their therapy isn't working and why they're still tired after months or years of therapy.
well, obviously.

_________________
Mask: Bleep DreamPort CPAP Mask Solution
Additional Comments: S9 VPAP Auto
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

User avatar
Grace~~~
Posts: 662
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 3:27 pm
Location: Florida

Re: APAP what causes increase in pressure

Post by Grace~~~ » Thu May 19, 2016 11:06 pm

plainhat wrote:
Trust your machine to do its job..
heh.. that's exactly what I'm trying to do here. Right now I trust nothing. I'm so lucky I got a defective pacemaker at one point. Weird things happen to me and that is a fact. The reason I got the pacemaker in the first place? well there are only 25 cases like it in the current medical literature. When I hear hoofbeats, I think zebras. My doc and his office have done nothing to make me more confident. I'm struggling to get myself on board with this. I'm a long time geek/nerd and the more I understand the better I feel. I can start to look at it as stats and not as that really uncomfortable night I had last night.

So anyway, I'll go get the charts set up the way someone else suggested. I obviously knew how to zoom in, I just didn't think it would help to get too close or you wouldn't be able to see how the pressure was changing. Off I go to try again

OP, plainhat ~~~you're great! lol

Please keep posting and trying to figure things out. I can just tuck in behind you and maybe get to the point where I can formulate questions.

One totally scary question is obviously CA or central apneas. I think I had read those as "Clear Airway" and so I thought it was really good that I had mostly clear airway thinking that meant less obstruction. genius huh? Guess not.

Plainhat, you are also infinitely easier to understand than me. I tend to post rather drunk sounding I think.
Also thank you for your words of encouragement on your other thread. It made my day.

GOOD STUFF.
Keep it up.

You got all the entertaining people on this thread, really giving GOOD INFORMATION!
You can't learn anything useful in a thought police, pseudo polite, lowest common denominator situation ~~~

Keep asking those GOOD QUESTIONS for all of us newbies who WANT to catch up and understand every nuance.

I too am always expecting zebras~~~
...but never unicorns.

(just never have been a unicorn chicque)
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 32308
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas(ish).

Re: APAP what causes increase in pressure

Post by palerider » Thu May 19, 2016 11:36 pm

Grace~~~ wrote:I too am always expecting zebras~~~
...but never unicorns.

(just never have been a unicorn chicque)
always be wary of unicorns when playing leapfrog.

_________________
Mask: Bleep DreamPort CPAP Mask Solution
Additional Comments: S9 VPAP Auto
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

User avatar
plainhat
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 4:50 pm

Re: APAP what causes increase in pressure

Post by plainhat » Thu May 19, 2016 11:55 pm

Well it sure seems I stepped into a hot topic Look, my sense is that more often than not the truth is somewhere in the middle, so it doesn't hurt for me to "hear" the stubborn extremes either way. The fact of the matter is that this "treatment" is effective enough so that the machine has only recorded one OSA, 2 RERA's and one hypoapnea in couple of nights I've worn it. At this point, I'm just trying to do anything I can to make adjusting to it easier since I'm a bit claustrophobic and have been having a really really really tough time keeping the damn thing on all night.
Do you have some sort of "heart condition"?"
Nope nope nope. Heart is healthy, wiring is really really bad. I got my little pacer friend because back when I was in my 30s. I was going into convulsions and passing out when I ate. Turns out I was having a second degree heart block triggered by swallowing. The only reason I was sent for the sleep study in the first place was because I had a pacemaker check that raised suspicions of Afib (I'm pretty convinced it came from falling asleep on my iPad ) So after a stress test and echo all came back clean and a readjust of my pacer all has been clear and the problem proclaimed an artifact. But by that time the sleep study rolled in and proclaimed that even though I felt pretty OK (except for some signs that my thyroid needs a bit more support) , I have OSA. So now I have this machine . . . .

User avatar
Wulfman...
Posts: 6693
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:41 pm
Location: Nearest fishing spot

Re: APAP what causes increase in pressure

Post by Wulfman... » Fri May 20, 2016 12:32 am

palerider wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:Since Flow Limitations and Snores are the two primary causes for pressure increases,
AND apneas. this is the problem, you just can't be balanced about apaps, just because you hate them in your own therapy.
Wulfman... wrote:SOMETIMES.......CPAP mode is just better therapy than ranges of pressures. And, sometimes the ranges work better for them.


and if you'd remember that, instead of galloping to the conclusion that it's that devil apap and pressure changes disturbing sleep, without finding out *anything* else about the person and their situation, we'd all be better off.
Wulfman... wrote:The users who monitor their own therapy need to be able to recognize which modes and settings work best for them and why. For all intents and purposes, if they understand all that and are NOT having problems......they won't be posting here wondering why their therapy isn't working and why they're still tired after months or years of therapy.
well, obviously.
"Hate" is such an ugly word. And, no, I don't hate them or even dislike them. Heck, if I disliked them so much, why would I accumulate FOUR of them?
When I started my therapy, I was buying out-of-pocket and could have had any machine I wanted (my insurance provider reimbursed me for 80% of my equipment). But, I knew (after reading on this forum) that one of the things that APAPs increased pressure on were Snores......and I knew I was a horrendous snorer at that time. I was also uncertain as to how this therapy was going to work for me, so I opted to get one of the "new" REMstar Pro 2 machines. At that point, I knew my prescription was for 18 cm. and the Pro 2 collected data......and it was much cheaper than the APAPs back then. I could tiptoe into this therapy and sort of feel my way though it.
Well, I used straight pressure ( 10 cm. ) for about a year and then a lightly used APAP came up for sale by one of the forum members. The price was right and I wanted to learn more about the Autos and see if the pressure I had come up with on my own ( 12 cm. ) was what the APAP would agree with.
After a week of a pressure range of 10 - 15, I found that I only hit 15 for about 1 1/2 minutes on only one night. So, that told me that my sleep study pressure of 16 and the prescription of 18 were bogus. The best pressure during that week was right around 12 cm., which was what I'd been using. I also discovered that the pressure changes disturbed my sleep and that I had virtually none of the supposed preceding events to my apneas. I had a few apneas (one each night for the last five of the seven nights), but my AHI was higher with the range of pressures in that week than I had had with my straight pressure. AHI for the week was average 1.1 whereas it had been somewhat less than 1.0 otherwise ( about 0.8 ).
Flow Limitations ranged from 0.0 - 1.2 with the majority being in the 0.1 - 0.3 range. Snore Index was 5.7 (Auto) as opposed to 3.6 straight pressure. Hypopneas have always made up the majority of my AHI.

In reality, I don't have enough events (then or now) to warrant using a range of pressures. For the last several years since I turned off C-Flex, my AHI went from about 0.4 to 0.2 and 0.3.
I can't justify using a range of pressures to prevent hardly any events and there's no reason to have the pressure changes disturbing my sleep. And, with a pressure range that small (only a couple of centimeters of spread), it comes down to "eenie, meenie, minie, moe"........pick a pressure that does the job.

For me, it's a matter of "numbers" and "sleep quality"........straight pressure gives me the best in both categories.

Your extreme exaggeration of my feelings about APAPs is out of line and totally unwarranted.


Den

.
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

User avatar
plainhat
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 4:50 pm

Re: APAP what causes increase in pressure

Post by plainhat » Fri May 20, 2016 12:38 am

For a bunch of folk who supposedly are getting enough sleep, you sure are grumpy !!

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 32308
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas(ish).

Re: APAP what causes increase in pressure

Post by palerider » Fri May 20, 2016 2:16 am

Wulfman... wrote:"Hate" is such an ugly word. And, no, I don't hate them or even dislike them. Heck, if I disliked them so much, why would I accumulate FOUR of them?
you're a funny guy. you try to gloss over your dislike for apaps with the above statement, after having gone on record with:
Wulfman... wrote:I own FOUR of them. And, the "wonderful" thing about them is that they can be set to CPAP (single pressure) mode......which is what works best for me
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109945&st=0&sk=t&sd ... 5#p1051105

"I don't dislike them, as long as I can disable that hated feature"
Wulfman... wrote:Your extreme exaggeration of my feelings about APAPs is out of line and totally unwarranted.
your words, and bias against the technology stand for themselves.

_________________
Mask: Bleep DreamPort CPAP Mask Solution
Additional Comments: S9 VPAP Auto
Last edited by palerider on Fri May 20, 2016 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 32308
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Dallas(ish).

Re: APAP what causes increase in pressure

Post by palerider » Fri May 20, 2016 2:19 am

plainhat wrote:For a bunch of folk who supposedly are getting enough sleep, you sure are grumpy !!
meh, wulfman's been beating the dead horse about auto setting machines for ages, as ChicagoGranny puts it, it's his shtick... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107888&p=1029069#p1029069

and since he refuses to present a balanced argument about the subject, I offer additional information, so that you, and others, can make the best decision for yourself.

_________________
Mask: Bleep DreamPort CPAP Mask Solution
Additional Comments: S9 VPAP Auto
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

User avatar
Julie
Posts: 20051
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:58 pm

Re: APAP what causes increase in pressure

Post by Julie » Fri May 20, 2016 3:24 am

"Wulfman... wrote:
I own FOUR of them. And, the "wonderful" thing about them is that they can be set to CPAP (single pressure) mode......which is what works best for me"

To be fair, he did say that...

Having my own dead horses to beat, I kind of relate.

User avatar
ChicagoGranny
Posts: 15534
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:43 pm
Location: USA

Re: APAP what causes increase in pressure

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri May 20, 2016 5:58 am

palerider wrote:as ChicagoGranny puts it, it's Wulfman's shtick
Image

User avatar
Grace~~~
Posts: 662
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 3:27 pm
Location: Florida

Re: APAP what causes increase in pressure

Post by Grace~~~ » Fri May 20, 2016 6:25 am

LOL ~~~

y'all are great!

... what an ensemble
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.