Buying Machine and Mask without Insurance--Suggestions?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wcroof84

Buying Machine and Mask without Insurance--Suggestions?

Post by Wcroof84 » Wed May 18, 2016 5:58 pm

Hello all,

I wake up all the time gasping for air, and it has even become a joke in my family. 6 years ago I got a sleep study done and was recommended a CPAP, but I just couldn't afford it. Fast forward and now my sleep quality is so poor I am willing to reconsider. My insurance isn't great and I do not have the time for another sleep study, so I plan to buy a S9 Autoset or similar (good data tracking), and pay out of pocket. I have. Physician family member who will write my scrip as needed.

Begging the question: aside from the CPAP machine, what do I need!?

I have no idea where to start with masks, hoses, etc.

Also is software an additional costs or is there something open source and hopefully Mac friendly?

As far as initial settings and calibration, I received the following advice on the Reddit:
Get yourself an Auto Machine with data logging. Run it for a week with the widest pressure settings, then look at the data. You'll likely have a lot of apneas early in the night then the machine will reach a pressure where they'll reduce down significantly. Take that pressure and make it your new minimum. Most software will have it listed as something like the "90% pressure".
Rinse and repeat until your AHI is <5.
The biggest thing to be wary of are Central Apneas: when your brain "shuts off" your breathing. Too high of pressure can cause it to happen.
Go on CpapTalk and ApneaBoards: they are a lot more active and have a lot more information on how to get into the "secret" settings menus.
Well there you have it --- now what?!

grayghost4

Re: Buying Machine and Mask without Insurance--Suggestions?

Post by grayghost4 » Wed May 18, 2016 6:10 pm

I have several new and used machines for sale this is one of them, I also have some masks
Sleepyhead software is free and will run on window, mac , and linux

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/hab/5540861368.html

PM me if interested

I am sure others will have other suggestions
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed May 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Wcroof84 wrote:Hello all,

I wake up all the time gasping for air, and it has even become a joke in my family. 6 years ago I got a sleep study done and was recommended a CPAP, but I just couldn't afford it. Fast forward and now my sleep quality is so poor I am willing to reconsider. My insurance isn't great and I do not have the time for another sleep study, so I plan to buy a S9 Autoset or similar (good data tracking), and pay out of pocket. I have. Physician family member who will write my scrip as needed.

Begging the question: aside from the CPAP machine, what do I need!?

I have no idea where to start with masks, hoses, etc.

Also is software an additional costs or is there something open source and hopefully Mac friendly?

As far as initial settings and calibration, I received the following advice on the Reddit:
Get yourself an Auto Machine with data logging. Run it for a week with the widest pressure settings, then look at the data. You'll likely have a lot of apneas early in the night then the machine will reach a pressure where they'll reduce down significantly. Take that pressure and make it your new minimum. Most software will have it listed as something like the "90% pressure".
Rinse and repeat until your AHI is <5.
The biggest thing to be wary of are Central Apneas: when your brain "shuts off" your breathing. Too high of pressure can cause it to happen.
Go on CpapTalk and ApneaBoards: they are a lot more active and have a lot more information on how to get into the "secret" settings menus.
Well there you have it --- now what?!
With an Rx, you'll be on your way. You can get pretty much whatever you want with those kinds of connections.

"Grayghost4" is a well-respected member of the forum.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

russmac

Post by russmac » Wed May 18, 2016 9:25 pm

This past December I bought my current machine, hose, and mask for $775 new from Lincare. I paid out of pocket and thought the price was reasonable. Recently, I paid about half of that for spare set of identical equipment (machine, hose, mask), also new, from craigslist.

The type and model of mask can vary greatly from person to person, as each person has different needs and preferences. If you don't know what you're looking for, it helps to buy a mask from a supplier that will show you a selection to choose from, make recommendations, and let you swap a mask out if you decide you don't like it. Lincare was great about this, though I can really only speak for the location I visited. They are a small operation in a small town, and super nice.

I use SleepyHead software on a MacBook Pro and it works great. No cost. No issues.

Wcroof84

Post by Wcroof84 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:03 am

Thanks for the replies ---

Are there any methods to sort or select a mask when a I will be buying online and not locally?

I would like to order sooner than later but not sure where to start with mask aspect...

Also is humidifier something I get for the mask or a feature that comes on the CPAP machine itself?

Thanks!

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Thu May 19, 2016 9:00 am

Getting a mask can be tricky. I would suggest starting with a nasal pillows mask and see if that can work for you. It's not for everyone, since some people can't get past the leaking from the mouth, but if it works for you, it is the lightest and least intrusive option, and comes with all 3 sizes of nasal pillows. Buy from CPAP.com with their free 30 day return insurance, and you can get full credit towards a full face mask if it doesn't work out. Most full face masks have fitting templates that you can download and use to determine what size you need. Getting the right mask is part luck and part trial and error, so be patient and keep trying until you find the right fit and comfort. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... hgodaNID6Q

Once you have found what works, you can probably get replacements less expensively, but the return policy is important for starting out.

russmac

Post by russmac » Thu May 19, 2016 9:11 am

I'm not personally familiar with anything beyond nasal and nasal pillow masks. My mouth stays shut when I sleep, so I'm able to wear a mask that covers just my nostrils (nasal pillow mask). People who have trouble with mouth breathing while sleeping seem to either use a full face mask that covers nose and mouth, or they use a device to keep their mouth closed, like a chin strap or tape. Dry mouth is a symptom of mouth breathing. I highly recommend the mask I use, but the fact that it works for me doesn't mean someone else won't hate it or find it useless.

I don't have any experience making a mask exchange with an online supplier, so someone else will need to speak to that.

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Thu May 19, 2016 9:58 am

You can see the results of a survey I did here on the most popular nasal pillow masks: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106883&st=0 Note that this survey was done before the DreamWear mask was available but I believe that the P10 is still the most popular.

The most popular nasal pillow mask by far has been the AirFit P10 and our sponsor sells it with free shipping and free return insurance (read the site to understand what that means): https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html They couldn't afford to do this unless the vast majority of buyers ended up liking and keeping the mask.

In my opinion, free return insurance is the best way for new cpap users to be able to try out different masks. If you were to go to a local supplier (DME), you would find that the prices are much higher and you could verify that with a phone call. Besides, many DMEs, including mine, only allow you to try masks for five minutes while sitting in a recliner which is nothing like sleeping with the mask all night in your bed. The only reason to go with a DME is if insurance is paying and the amount you have to pay is lower than what you could buy if for from cpap.com.

Make sure that you get an auto cpap with full data that is supported by the wonderful, free SleepyHead software. This will allow you to monitor your progress and change the settings as necessary to optimize your therapy.