Hose management devices: worthwhile or worthless?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
russk

Hose management devices: worthwhile or worthless?

Post by russk » Wed May 18, 2016 8:27 pm

I am considering the purchase of a device that is designed to hold my tubing directly overhead and allows me to freely turn from one side to the other without problems like the tubing dislodging my mask and causing leaks. Another benefit they claim is that it prevents rainout since the tube goes straight up vertically a couple feet so the condensation returns to the nachine.

I would appreciate any input regarding the usefulness of such a device and pros and cons that other users may have identified.

chunkyfrog

Re: Hose management devices: worthwhile or worthless?

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed May 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Mine is home-made, and it makes a big difference.
I bought one for travel, because the one at home is screwed to the wall.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Thu May 19, 2016 2:42 am

My Dreamwear mask has the hose out of the top of the head so no need for a hose holder. The freedom of having your hose away from your body is great so go for it.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Thu May 19, 2016 6:12 am

For me, a hose leading from overhead is more comfortable and lessens the possibility of getting wrapped up in it pulling the machine off the nightstand. I don't know about the rainout, though. It's never been a big problem for me, since I don't use more than "pass over" humidification, but occasionally, my nasal pillows will collect a fair amount of moisture.

It also depends a little on the mask. Those with connections at the top of the head, like the DreamWear, are great, those that have 360 degree swivel connections at the front are pretty good. Those that have connections that lead straight down, like the P10, not as good. For the P10, I have a little clip I fasten to my nightshirt at my chest to hold its short hose in place so it doesn't pull away from under my nose.

Before making the purchase, look at ways you might reroute your hose. The top of my headboard is maybe two feet above my head and I just route my hose behind and over the top to my mask. It's an iron headboard so it doesn't have much depth. Others, like Chunky, find other ways to hang it. If I had no other way to hang the hose, I would definitely consider purchasing a hanger. But even when I travel, I can usually find a way to lead the hose in from the top.

Bottom line, hose management is worthwhile.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu May 19, 2016 7:12 am

Worthwhile ... yes.

Buy ... or DIY.

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

droder

Post by droder » Thu May 19, 2016 7:20 am

I joke that my Hose Buddy is my best friend!! I failed CPAP 2 years ago partly because of how cumbersome the tube was. This time around I was determined to make CPAP work out of obvious necessity. My Hose Buddy made a HUGE difference in my ability to stay asleep because I wasn't fighting with my hose all night! I hardly even know it's there now. I also bought the travel one just because my husband and I travel a lot and it's easier to tote around. It also keeps us from having to take my whole set up apart each time we go somewhere. Money well spent if you ask me!!

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu May 19, 2016 7:30 am

droder wrote:I joke that my Hose Buddy is my best friend!! I failed CPAP 2 years ago partly because of how cumbersome the tube was. This time around I was determined to make CPAP work out of obvious necessity. My Hose Buddy made a HUGE difference in my ability to stay asleep because I wasn't fighting with my hose all night! I hardly even know it's there now. I also bought the travel one just because my husband and I travel a lot and it's easier to tote around. It also keeps us from having to take my whole set up apart each time we go somewhere. Money well spent if you ask me!!
Hose Buddy = $30+
3M hooks + plastic key chain < $5 .... plus bonus of it being very portable and can be used anywhere, even camping in a tent .... hose buddy, not so much.

Just saying.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

droder

Post by droder » Thu May 19, 2016 8:00 am

Yes, the DIY version is less expensive. But the hose buddy is less noticeable. I have tried to make my bedroom look less cluttered which isn't easy with all the new equipment, hoses, etc... if that makes sense. For me, it is worth the extra few $$ for it to be neater looking. To each his own!! =o)
CuddleCalm weighted blanket for RLS.

Michelle-OH

Post by Michelle-OH » Thu May 19, 2016 8:22 am

I bought this one to see if I even liked the idea, cheap if you don't, but found it works great and can travel with you. http://www.amazon.com/North-American-He ... OSE+HOLDER

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu May 19, 2016 8:40 am

droder wrote:Yes, the DIY version is less expensive. But the hose buddy is less noticeable. I have tried to make my bedroom look less cluttered which isn't easy with all the new equipment, hoses, etc... if that makes sense. For me, it is worth the extra few $$ for it to be neater looking. To each his own!! =o)
So a black pole sticking up from under your bed and standing 4 feet high is less noticeable and uncluttered (so long as nobody trips over it) than a small 1/2 inch white removable plastic hook on the wall?
.... Ohhhh K.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu May 19, 2016 8:54 am

DreamStalker wrote:
droder wrote:Yes, the DIY version is less expensive. But the hose buddy is less noticeable. I have tried to make my bedroom look less cluttered which isn't easy with all the new equipment, hoses, etc... if that makes sense. For me, it is worth the extra few $$ for it to be neater looking. To each his own!! =o)
So a black pole sticking up from under your bed and standing 4 feet high is less noticeable and uncluttered (so long as nobody trips over it) than a small 1/2 inch white removable plastic hook on the wall?
.... Ohhhh K.
I was trying to figure that one out myself.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

droder

Post by droder » Thu May 19, 2016 8:59 am

Wow... I gave my two cents which is all that was asked. I don't understand the need to be so nasty and judgmental. This was my first time with this forum and now my last. I have better things to do with my time. You people are unnecessarily rude.
CuddleCalm weighted blanket for RLS.

Michelle-OH

Post by Michelle-OH » Thu May 19, 2016 9:14 am

droder wrote:Wow... I gave my two cents which is all that was asked. I don't understand the need to be so nasty and judgmental. This was my first time with this forum and now my last. I have better things to do with my time. You people are unnecessarily rude.
Sorry you ran into that, definitely happens around here from a few, hopefully you will reconsider because there is a lot of good info. and there are a lot of people who aren't 'nasty and judgemental'. Seems like the newbies get that treatment the worst, which is unfortunate.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu May 19, 2016 9:15 am

droder wrote:Wow... I gave my two cents which is all that was asked. I don't understand the need to be so nasty and judgmental. This was my first time with this forum and now my last. I have better things to do with my time. You people are unnecessarily rude.
Well my apology nurse Roder, but perhaps you've misdiagnosed economic and practical for nasty and judgmental? And please forgive the "people" of this unnecessarily rude forum, some of us are sleep deprived but we are not stupid.
Michelle-OH wrote: Sorry you ran into that, definitely happens around here from a few, hopefully you will reconsider because there is a lot of good info. and there are a lot of people who aren't 'nasty and judgemental'. Seems like the newbies get that treatment the worst, which is unfortunate.
Not worry too much, she (nurse Roder) wasn't a real OSA patient .... she was a DME nurse. They come here trying to outsmart the members quite often ... and they fail quite often too.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu May 19, 2016 9:32 am

I use the Hose Buddy. Best cpap investment I've made.

Sheriff