Teeth Grinding

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepwolf

Teeth Grinding

Post by sleepwolf » Tue May 17, 2016 7:52 am

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the site here but can be called a bit of a CPAP veteran as been using for many years and am a lifer due to physical issues.

I was wondering if anyone one else has had issues around grinding teeth overnight?

Bit of background:
On the 9th May had a suspected heart attack and since then advised by my partner that I seriously grind my teeth at night! I have combated this by using a Sleep Angel mouth shield and must admit it works. Its not the nicest of things to have to wear and feels awkward with that and the mask.

Just wondered if anyone has had similar or can advise any ways they cope with this.

Many thanks.

Paul

carbonman

Re: Teeth Grinding

Post by carbonman » Tue May 17, 2016 8:31 am

I wear a night guard. Custom made by the dentist. Pricey.
It works well. Took a few nights to get used to. Would not sleep
without it now.....just like my cpap. Sort of feels like I have
aisle 2 of hardware at Home Depot in/on my head at night.
Without it I was facing some major dental problems...
and expense.

Such is life.
I'll see you on the road.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

greenall

Post by greenall » Tue May 17, 2016 8:52 am

Likewise. appliance fitted by the dentist. Works like a charm.

Funkdoobiest

Post by Funkdoobiest » Tue May 17, 2016 9:04 am

I have a guard, the kind u boil and mold youself. After having just uppers, I decided to try one that fitted the top and bottom teeth and it worked much better. I also have Migraines and recently approved for Botox for migraines. My Dr also puts a shot of Botox in my jaw for the Bruxism and it has helped a lot.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue May 17, 2016 9:19 am

I haven't tried the Sleep Angel (Silent Angel I think) but I use Doctor's Night Guard every night and it works great for sore jaw relief from teeth grinding and it also helps position your jaw in the proper alignment. They are meant to be molded to the upper teeth. I do it a little different, I cut off about 3/16" from each end with a sharp knife and then mold it to my lower teeth which I like best, however you should make it fit your needs. I don't like the feeling of having my upper and lower teeth locked into a teeth guard.

http://www.doctorsnightguard.com/

There are some cheaper prices if you look around, for instance Amazon.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue May 17, 2016 12:57 pm

sleepwolf wrote:grinding teeth overnight
Apneas seem to cause teeth grinding in some people. During the struggle to breathe, they reflexively "grit" their teeth.

Are you using free Sleepyhead software to confirm that you are getting good CPAP therapy? https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Tue May 17, 2016 1:35 pm

sleepwolf wrote:Bit of background:
On the 9th May had a suspected heart attack
Suspected? Did you get checked out. They do a simple blood test to see if you had a heart attack or not.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Wed May 18, 2016 5:53 am

I'm curious...for those using store bought guards....
are they hard or soft?
The guard I got from my dentist is hard. I thought it would be
soft. He explained that the idea is for your teeth are able to move
over the guard.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

sleepwolf

Post by sleepwolf » Wed May 18, 2016 9:19 am

They did bloods but never gave me full results.

Have to admit the A&E department where I went seemed to want me through as soon as possible. I told them I have high bp and not once did they check on my BP! It was your results seem ok now but go to your GP on Monday! I did and got referred to a chest pain clinic which I have tomorrow (19th May) now so hope to get more information then.

Chicargogranny - I haven't used the sleepyhead software yet. Will this work on UK machines? I did have a quick look at the info and am going to try and see as mine does have a SD card rather than a SIM.

In regards to the shop bought guards I am finding the silent angel one ok. I only use one guard on my upper teeth but from the comments about on the lower may try that.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed May 18, 2016 9:24 am

sleepwolf wrote:Chicargogranny - I haven't used the sleepyhead software yet. Will this work on UK machines? I did have a quick look at the info and am going to try and see as mine does have a SD card rather than a SIM.
What brand/model machine do you have? The model number can be found on the bottom of the machine. Make sure the humidifier is empty of water before you turn it over.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed May 18, 2016 9:28 am

With regard to the bloodwork, troponin levels are considered definitive, even for mild events.

sleepwolf

Post by sleepwolf » Wed May 18, 2016 9:36 am

ChicagoGranny - Its a Remstar System One think Pro 60 and has c-flex although locked down by my lab if that helps.

I have it set on my details but it doesn't display as has PR in front.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed May 18, 2016 10:24 am

sleepwolf wrote: Its a Remstar System One think Pro 60 and has c-flex although locked down by my lab if that helps.

I have it set on my details but it doesn't display as has PR in front.
The links to discontinued machines are broken and that's why it isn't showing up in your equipment profile.
When this happens we just suggest that people manually add the machine in the comments section of the equipment profile.

The PR System One Pro 60 series...is model 460 so if that's the model (model number is on the bottom of the blower) just manually add
PR S1 60 series Pro #460 to your comments section and we will know what you are using.

SleepyHead will work with this model machine and it doesn't matter if you are in the UK or USA or even elsewhere in the world. The basics are all the same.
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

rick blaine

Post by rick blaine » Wed May 18, 2016 12:25 pm

As you know, Accident and Emergency departments (A&E) are under a lot of pressure at the moment, and the staff may not have had time to explain things to you.

The current 'standard operating procedure' (SOP) for patients over 40 presenting with chest pain but who aren't in immediate distress is to park you in a bay where they can observe you, clip a quite-advanced 'pulse-ox' reader on to one of your fingers, and take a blood sample.

The pulse-ox reader is connected both to the monitor above your bed and to the 'front desk'/nurses' station. It shows heart rate, O2 saturation, and by means of very sensitive transducers, breathing pattern.

The blood test - which is very rapidly analysed - is looking for a substance called troponin. If it's there in any quantity, it suggests heart muscle damage.

The number they're focussing on is 14 units. If it's higher than 14 - say 24, or anything up to 100 - then SOP is to admit you for observation, and do the troponin test again six hours later.

If at the second testing the level of troponin is the same or higher, they assume cardiac involvement. (And if you had 'crashed' at any time during those six hours, well, the doctors and the crash team were there, less than 30 seconds away.)

If the level of troponin falls back to 14 units or less by the end of six hours, you can go home.

And if it was never above 14 in the first place, it's highly unlikely you had a heart attack.

As any third-year medical student will tell you, there are 20 possible explanations for chest pain.

As to taking your bp, unless you have signs and symptoms of very high bp, or signs and symptoms of very low bp, a busy A&E doctor or nurse might not take your blood pressure.

From your statement "they seemed to want me through as soon as possible" I'm deducing that you were not asked to wait the six hours - which suggests your troponin was 14 or under. Which in turn suggests that: it's very unlikely you had a heart attack.

Also, you ask "will this [software] work in the UK?" - I live in the UK, in Gloucestershire. I have Sleepyhead - I've used it for five years now - and it works just fine.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed May 18, 2016 4:03 pm

carbonman wrote:I'm curious...for those using store bought guards....
are they hard or soft?
The guard I got from my dentist is hard. I thought it would be
soft. He explained that the idea is for your teeth are able to move
over the guard.
The Doctor's teeth guard I wrote about above is not hard or soft - sort of in between and flexible. It features a bi-material build... there's a thin hard plastic inner piece surrounded by softer silicone. I find them very comfortable, and of course, you mold them to your own teeth. One bonus for mouth guards is that that they seem to promote saliva during the night (for me anyway)... not a lot but enough to keep things moist.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.