First Machine - Resmet "AirSense" S10 Autoset

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lightfoot500

First Machine - Resmet "AirSense" S10 Autoset

Post by lightfoot500 » Sun May 15, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi,
new to sleep apnea. Lab said i had mild sleep apnea.
sleep efficiency was 92% slept 350 of 382 minutes.
sleep architecture was abnormal
stage one was normal at 3%
stage two was increased at 63% of TST
Delta sleep was decreased at 10% of TST
Rem stage sleep was normal at 23% of TST
88 arousals and 3 awakenings.
15 apneas and 24 hypopneas.

AHI during rem was was 8 / hour
no central apneas.
AHI was 2.5 in non supine
AHI was 8.5 in supine.
significant snoring in supine.
during rem respiratory events oxygen saturation went do 80%.

suggested settings are 7cmH2O and a Fisher Paykel Esson. and 20 minute ramp.
going in this week to pick it up.

What sort of questions and what should i be aware of to ask the DME?

I am really sort of clueless when it comes to apnea, dealing with cpap machines and DME's , any advice?

The Mask? when at the sleep lab, i was given a mask that just went over my nose, I suspect that i will open my mouth to breathe since i snore.
i would like to try a full face mask as well. i will ask if i can have both masks, but no idea if they will give me two and let me switch back and fourth.
when talking on the phone with the rep from the DME she said would put me down for a full face. not sure she can do that. i know i can always buy one aftermarket. am i right in wanting to start with a full face mask ?

thanks.

LSAT

Re: First Machine - Resmet "AirSense" S10 Autoset

Post by LSAT » Sun May 15, 2016 5:59 pm

If you were comfortable with the mask from the sleep study, I would start with that. If you find that during therapy you breathe through your mouth, I would then ask for a FF mask.

russmac

Post by russmac » Sun May 15, 2016 6:11 pm

I don't think snoring necessarily means you will open your mouth when you start using a mask. I used to snore (before CPAP), but now my wife says I never do. I started out with a nasal mask and hated it. It seemed no matter how I tried, I couldn't get it to seal, and my face would also break out in nasty, painful acne. I put up with that for a few weeks, and then switched to a Resmed Swift FX nasal pillow mask. It was so much better for me. I used it for 4 years. Since then I've switched to a Resmed AirFit P10 mask, and I love it. It fits perfectly and feels like it's barely there. Obviously, if you open your mouth you will need a mask to compensate for it. If you don't, you may want to take a look at the AirFit P10.

lightfoot500

Post by lightfoot500 » Sun May 15, 2016 8:11 pm

Ok, when wearing a mask that just fits the nose, is it necessarry to wear a chin strap so the lower jaw doesnt come open?

russmac

Post by russmac » Sun May 15, 2016 8:28 pm

Some people wear a chin strap. Some people literally tape their mouth shut. My mouth just naturally stays closed and I get enough air through my nose. It seems like they wouldn't recommend a nasal mask for you if they saw your mouth come open during the sleep study. I personally want the smallest mask I can use, but if you are really worried about it, by all means, go with the full face mask.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon May 16, 2016 5:13 am

Lightfoot, the most critical part of the process, at this point, is the machine. You mention the "Resmet "AirSense" S10 Autoset" in your thread title. I assume you mean the ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ (It's ResMed and there is no S10). See ResMed Devices. I am not being picky (well, maybe a little). My point is, if your were given that information by your DME it is wrong and you need to be cautious when accepting a machine. The ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ is an excellent machine - just make sure that's what you get.

As far as masks go, once the machine is chosen, the mask becomes the most critical part of the therapy. An ill fitting, non appropriate mask sharply reduces the chances of success. Most patients change masks several times before finding the "right" one. Unfortunately, aside from trial and error, there is little to guide one in making the choice. Some general assumptions could be made on the basis of shape of face, tendency to mouth breathe, etc., but they would be just that, assumptions not guarantees.

Many DME's offer a 30 day trial period for masks. Ask about that. A choice made now is not for life.

I agree with LSAT, if the mask you wore during your study was comfortable - do start with that. Before the therapy can be effective, you must be comfortable. Once you are comfortable with the therapy, adjustments for improvement, such as a different mask, different pressures, etc., can be made.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon May 16, 2016 2:34 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:Lightfoot, the most critical part of the process, at this point, is the machine. You mention the "Resmet "AirSense" S10 Autoset" in your thread title. I assume you mean the ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ (It's ResMed and there is no S10). See ResMed Devices. I am not being picky (well, maybe a little). My point is, if your were given that information by your DME it is wrong and you need to be cautious when accepting a machine. The ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ is an excellent machine - just make sure that's what you get.
being picky and insisting on the right terminology cuts down on people getting screwed by less than honest DMEs... keep it up.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.