6 Week Check-up

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
laxmom

6 Week Check-up

Post by laxmom » Tue May 03, 2016 11:46 am

I went for my 6 week check up and my doctor said I am the perfect patient. I am above compliance numbers and my AHI is under 5. He said he doesn't need to see me for a year.

Problem is I don't want to be just under 5 AHI, I want to be below 1. I have been playing with the low pressure and have increased it slowly from 5 to now 9 my high is 20 but my 95% pressure is around 15-16.

Is this normal for the doctor to just say, you are good see you in a year? He said anything under 5 was fine so no need to do anything different.

Thanks,
Kim

ChicagoGranny

Re: 6 Week Check-up

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue May 03, 2016 11:50 am

laxmom wrote:I want to be below 1.
Why?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 03, 2016 12:03 pm

AHI under 1 may or may not even be a realistic goal. It all depends on what that AHI is made up of...meaning we can't do much about the central/clear airway component of the AHI.
You may be wanting to reduce something with pressure changes/settings that can't be reduced with your machine.
Make sure what you want to fix is fixable with your machine or you will be driving yourself crazy chasing your tail.

Under 5 is pretty much considered the line in the sand in terms of effective therapy but there's so much more to effective therapy than just an AHI number.
We need to be able to understand the big picture and not just a small snippet which is the overall AHI number.

And yes...if you go to the doc and your AHI is under 5 that's usually what they are happy with if they even check.
Mine didn't even check AHI and instead targeted a repeat Epworth test result which made me roll my eyes for sure because it doesn't tell the whole story either. Seems like different docs have different lines in the sand that they want to lean on.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Diamondminek

Post by Diamondminek » Tue May 03, 2016 12:20 pm

my clinic sees you once every two years if treatment appears to be working. if you have sleep apnoea, you need to become the expert patient and manage your own condition - step one: education. step two: sleepyhead.

Mudrock63

Post by Mudrock63 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:37 pm

Mine did the same thing. The question is how are you feeling? I know I generally felt better when I got my overall average AHI below 2.0 consistently. That took a lot of reading, posting, asking for help, and tweaking of settings. If you want to try to get it lower, read the Sleepyhead tutorial and learn how to post screenshots. The experienced folks may have some suggestions to help you. But again, it is about how you feel.