Snoring while on CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RomeinDNVR

Snoring while on CPAP

Post by RomeinDNVR » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:40 am

Good morning--

I have been on cpap therapy for about 5 years or so and it has changed my life. Over the last year I have gained about 40lbs, won't get into details but I am heading in for my 3rd back surgery soon so physical activity has been very limited.

My Avg pressure on my machine has been hovering between 17 and 18 cmH for a really long time. Lately I have been waking up exhausted and getting up frequently during the night. I was just writing this off to my pain meds wearing off and my back waking me up. I had a friend over the other day and he said I was snoring really loud while wearing my cpap mask. I am pretty sure this is happening now anytime I sleep on my back, which is the only position that doesn't cause discomfort and back pain.

I am not really sure what to do at this point, does anyone know if there is a different type of machine that can combat this better?

Thanks,
Rome

exersize_freak

Re: Snoring while on CPAP

Post by exersize_freak » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:50 am

I know that my doc has told me I should come in for a reiteration if I start feeling tired on a regular basis and especially if I gain or loose more than 10lbs.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:03 am

Hi - you may well be mouth breathing at night now, especially if you've been on your back more, as well as the weight having a definite effect (it's amazing how little weight can make a diff.), plus your settings might be too low. However, it's important to know what's going on so I suggest you download Sleepyhead software (it's free) that so many of us use and we can then advise after seeing some reports. There'll be lots of info there!

https://sleep.tnet.com/resources, sleepyhead/shorganize

Go to the 1st note top of forum pg ("Tutorial") and learn more, then download your reports to Imgur.com, size appropriately and leave a link to those in this thread.

tazmania

Post by tazmania » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:08 am

FYI Rome, if our form's sponsor doesn't sell your machine it may not show up in your profile. Mine doesn't so I add my machine profile to my signature so everyone can see it.

Do you have a data capable machine that works with Sleepyhead If you do you are in pretty good shape as the wonderful folks here will get you dialed in and/or get you pointed in the right direction.

Sorry to hear about your back. Back pain is a horrible thing to deal with. I, like many, have back issues. Fortunately, or unfortunately, mine aren't fixable with surgery.

Stick around here. You'll get the help you need for your CPAP therapy.

Additional Comments: Current Pressure: APAP, Min: 10.5, Max 12.0, C-Flex=3
Machine: Phillips Respironics REMStar System One 60-Series Auto CPAP Machine w/humidifier (REDS560HS)

tazmania

Post by tazmania » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:11 am

Oh and I just noticed ... we're from the same city!!!

Machine: Phillips Respironics REMStar System One 60-Series Auto CPAP Machine w/humidifier (REDS560HS)

RomeinDNVR

Post by RomeinDNVR » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did get a new machine, I will have to update my profile. I haven't used the sleepyhead software for a super long time, will have to reinstall it on my computer and check out the data.

Right now my APAP is set from 16 to 20 (20 is the highest a standard APAP machine will go). I am not waking up with a really dry mouth but I guess it is possible that my mouth is opening while I sleep, should probably dust off one of my FFM and see if that helps.

Taz you live in Hudson? I moved to my summer place outside Nekoosa WI a couple weeks ago, but still have a place in Hudson as well.

IDontSnoreISwear

Post by IDontSnoreISwear » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:30 am

My husband has started snoring and also having hypopneas with his CPAP as well. (Because his machine is a brick, I had to trade with him so that I could get his Sleepyhead data to determine this.) He's going to see the sleep doc soon and hopefully the data will enable them to determine what he needs. I suspect they will set him up with a new machine, probably APAP, and higher pressures.

tazmania

Post by tazmania » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:47 pm

RomeinDNVR wrote:Taz you live in Hudson? I moved to my summer place outside Nekoosa WI a couple weeks ago, but still have a place in Hudson as well.
Ah, Nekoosa. You have a place on the Wisconsin river maybe? I grew up in Altoona (little Eau Claire) so I'm familiar with the Nekoosa area but haven't spent a lot of time in Nekoosa.

I've never used a FFM, always a nasal pillow mask. I would always wake up with a very dry mouth. It was the sure sign I was mouth breathing. With the addition of a soft cervical collar I was able to elminate that and extend my CPAP usage from less that 4 hours a night to around 7 or 8.

If you're not experiencing dry mouth it may not be a mouth breathing issue ... maybe a leak issue. Sleepyhead will give you the stats to determine if it a leak issue. If it is then how best to determine if it is a mask issue or mouth breathing issue.

Cannuck 1

Post by Cannuck 1 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:59 pm

I'm a user of Apap for a # yrs and I woke up early this morning and was listening to the radio and fell back to sleep- 2 hrs without mask on , later I woke up and my throat was raspy and dry.
It brought back memories of family complaining about my snoring, Apap & Cpap do help in keeping the snoring to a minium and keeps peace around the house also.
I snore a little when the mask is on according to sleepyhead software but wife does not hear it.
You appreciate you machine a little bit more when you forget to use it!

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:36 pm

I put on weight as well and found that my events increased. Interestingly though, I actually LOWERED my pressure and that put my events below 1. Unfortunately, now I seem to be waking up every 2 hours... Thankfully, I will be off this medication next week and can focus on weight loss again.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)