No Distilled Water, Can Filtered Water Be Used?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Re: No Distilled Water, Can Filtered Water Be Used?

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:45 am

At $.88 a gal. from Walmart, why would you want to go any other way. I go thru a gal. every 13-15 days, thats right around $1.76 a month, $21.12 a year. You gotta be kidding me.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:20 am

Guest wrote:At $.88 a gal. from Walmart, why would you want to go any other way. I go thru a gal. every 13-15 days, thats right around $1.76 a month, $21.12 a year. You gotta be kidding me.
uhh..some people are homebound. Some live in a rural area where you have to go many miles to get distilled (28 miles from my brother's house). Still others travel by public transportation. Have you ever tried lugging groceries on the bus? Want to add another gallon of WATER to your 1 gallon of milk and multiple cans of veggies?

Plus, some people use RO for all their cooking and coffee.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

tmoody

Post by tmoody » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:05 am

I've always used tap water. When I start to see deposits, I put about a tablespoon of CLR in and flush it out thoroughly with running water. A small amount of CLR removes those deposits very quickly, and then it's just a matter of rinsing all the CLR out.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:37 am

Guest wrote:At $.88 a gal. from Walmart, why would you want to go any other way. I go thru a gal. every 13-15 days, thats right around $1.76 a month, $21.12 a year. You gotta be kidding me.
That assumes there is a Walmart where you can get at it. Now I have a car but before in order to get to a Walmart I had to take a bus and two subways and then hike across 6 lane expressway with 4 lanes of service roads. That when it is -25c with blowing snow is just wonderful.

Oh and a gallon here is about $2.99 Cdn.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

flightco

Post by flightco » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:42 am

Why bother with schlepping gallons of water at all when you can have an under counter RO system and use it for everything? My wife no longer goes through a case or more of bottled water a week (saves 200 bucks a year right there but for me it is the convenience, not the cost)

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:22 pm

Sorry, I stand corrected

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:38 pm

A gallon of distilled (Walmart - $.88) lasts me about 2 1/2 - 3 months using "passover" (non-heated) humidification.
Occasionally, I use Brita filtered water to stretch it out.
No problems.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

flightco

Post by flightco » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:24 pm

Wulfman... wrote:A gallon of distilled (Walmart - $.88) lasts me about 2 1/2 - 3 months using "passover" (non-heated) humidification.
No problems.

Den

when it comes to usage, I am with the OP; I use a gallon every 12 to 13 days

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:47 pm

flightco wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:A gallon of distilled (Walmart - $.88) lasts me about 2 1/2 - 3 months using "passover" (non-heated) humidification.
No problems.

Den

when it comes to usage, I am with the OP; I use a gallon every 12 to 13 days
Me too, with my airsense 10 auto and p10 nasal pillows and humidity set at auto. Two weeks is about the most I can expect. Still it seems to work well because I don't have any excess moisture in my mask or hose.

I'm also a member of the "top it up" club - I don't empty and wash the tank but just add enough distilled water every night to get to the fill line. It hasn't killed me or caused any problems yet!

muchojo

Post by muchojo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:05 am

I pay 15 cents for filtered water per gallon. It takes a tank full per night if I used the heated option, too expensive at 88 cents.
It's already almost perfect from vending machine.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:15 am

palerider wrote:
gravyv wrote:The pamphlet I got from my respiratory tech says to use water that has been boiled for 10 minutes if I don't have access to distilled water.
that just makes the mineral concentration worse.

that's bad advice.
If you do want to boil your water, turn the heat down once it starts to boil and let it boil gently. If you don't boil off a large percentage of the water, you won't increase the mineral concentration very much.

Boiling will kill most of the germs, but if your drinking/bathing water has a lot of dangerous germs in it, you're in trouble already.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.