Returning to the fold

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MINItron

Returning to the fold

Post by MINItron » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:16 am

Hello all.

I was using CPAP for a while some time ago, but at the time my AHI was only 9, and ultimately the CPAP ended up making my sleep worse. Fast forward a couple years, and another sleep study, at my request, and no my AHI was up to 23. I am retiring from the Navy in 3 days, and got my new Airsense 10 Autoset yesterday. I say new, but really my DME gave me a machine that already had 118 hours on the blower. I guess she didn't think I would notice. I'm not sure whether to be mad about it or not.

Last night was my first night using the new machine, and I have to say it worked very well. Though I'm not so sure about the P10. I'm afraid my head may be too big for the headgear as I woke up with a very sore nose. Only time will tell.

Julie

Re: Returning to the fold

Post by Julie » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:03 am

There are very many masks you can try to find one that fits well, and consider another thing - 118 hrs divided by ? 7 hrs/night is really not very much. Some machines do come with a few hrs at least on them following factory testing, so I wouldn't get too upset about that.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:18 am

The P10 headgear loosens up with use, but wetting it down and allowing it to dry
while stretched around a rolled up bath towel helps to expand it a bit.
As I use mine, "product" and soil adds to the stretch, and washing makes it spring back.

MINItron

Post by MINItron » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:35 pm

I am finding that this P10 has two settings, so tight it makes my nose hurt, and so loose it leaks. It likes to randomly switch between the two in the middle of the night. I will get it adjusted nicely as I get into bed, and a couple hours later it will wake me up because the straps have moved cinching it down tight. I'll adjust, then it will slip again, and wake me up because it has gone the other way and is leaking. I have called me DME, and she has ordered me a Dreamwear. At first I was hesitant to use that one because it seemed noisy when I tried it at the doctors office, but having used the P10 for several nights now I see that it really isn't that much quieter.

The Dreamwear was quite comfy when I tried it out as well. She tried to push the Nuance Pro on me, but I have used that one before, and I know for a fact that I cannot stand to use that one.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:44 pm

I have the same problem. My head is too big for the P10. As much as I like the mask, my nose gets bruised. So, for the last 9 months, I use the P10 for 4 or 5 days and then switch to another type of mask (usually Circadian elan, which I pay for out of pocket).

I currently have switched back to the Swift Nasal pillow mask. This one slides up my head at night and the exit spot blows more air, which annoys my cat.

I don't use the Circadian Elan full time because the replacement cloth cushion is too costly for me at this time. It also is a bit louder (more darth vaderish), but otherwise works well when I plant my face in the pillow.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)