Lots of problems and questions.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rswannabe

Lots of problems and questions.

Post by rswannabe » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:55 am

First post here. I've been on CPAP for over a year now. My "sleep" Dr. and medical supply company leave a lot to be desired. I started with a Redmed 9 static pressure with the nasal pillows. I have recently upgraded to the Dreamstation. The therapy has drastically reduced my morning headaches and snoring. BUT, I don't feel any more rested and I keep getting upper respiratory infections. Part of the reason I don't feel rested, I think, is because I have chronic sinus problems (even before CPAP), so I have to continuously roll over. Is there anything you can add to the water like eucalyptus oil for something to help with that? The other part of it is I cannot find a mask that I don't have to constantly adjust. As far as the upper respiratory problems, I blamed that on not cleaning tubing etc often enough. So, I sprang for the Soclean2 and have been using that for about 2 weeks. NOW I feel like I'm getting sick again. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on these issues. Thank you!

Julie

Re: Lots of problems and questions.

Post by Julie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:15 am

Hi - first thing - if you're using the humidifier, are you happy with the setting? I ask because many people think it's part of 'therapy' and then complain of congestion, or dryness, etc.. when they may not need it at all (as I don't because I live in a humid climate). Try turning it down for a couple of nights and see how things go, or if you're e.g. in Colorado, and feel you need more, turn it up.

The second thing is that you never need to clean the hoses. Ever. That's just stuff the mfgr puts out to keep from getting lawsuits, but there is no scientific or physical reason to do it - it shouldn't ever get dirty at any level.

So Clean is close to a scam - most of us never use it and it's also not needed under normal circumstances... or to put it another way, if your machine is that dirty internally, you're either not using the filters you should, or else you have e.g. mold in your place and that should be addressed. Waste of time otherwise.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:17 am

NO NO never add things to the water!!!!!

Put your fragrance on a cotton swab on a little plate in front of the air intake.

Make sure your filters are clean. Invest in the higher quality "White" filters.

Keep your equipment clean and play with your humidity levels.

Use nasal rinses to keep things clean inside.

Have a long talk with your ENT.

Read the Wiki (light bulb at the top of the page)

Get the clinician manual and learn everything about your machine .

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

rswannabe

Post by rswannabe » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:45 am

Thank you guys! I appreciate the responses and will check into everything mentioned. I did turn the humidity down a notch last night and I think I notice a difference for the better today. I'm really bummed about the Soclean thought would it be everyone's opinion that I return it?

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:49 am

Agree with above.

First, NEVER, NEVER, EVER, EVER put anything in your tank but water. If you think you have respiratory problems now, imagine aerosolized eucalyptus in your lungs. Not a good idea!

There's nothing "growing" in your system that is causing upper respiratory infection. Sounds more like you have some autoimmune responses to environmental triggers--could be what you eat, allergens, etc. Adjusting the humidifier level up or down may help--for me there's a "sweet spot" where all is well--too much humidity causes me those symptoms, except that when I am really congested from a cold higher humidity really helps.

Ask to have your vitamin D levels checked. Mine were very low and I was sick all the time. I take a combination D3/K2 supplement and have gotten my levels up to 70--I am literally NEVER sick any more (Ok, once ever year or two, but it's mild). You may need a steroid nasal spray to keep inflammation in check, too. Talk to your doctor.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

rswannabe

Post by rswannabe » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:01 pm

Janknitz wrote:Agree with above.

First, NEVER, NEVER, EVER, EVER put anything in your tank but water. If you think you have respiratory problems now, imagine aerosolized eucalyptus in your lungs. Not a good idea!

There's nothing "growing" in your system that is causing upper respiratory infection. Sounds more like you have some autoimmune responses to environmental triggers--could be what you eat, allergens, etc. Adjusting the humidifier level up or down may help--for me there's a "sweet spot" where all is well--too much humidity causes me those symptoms, except that when I am really congested from a cold higher humidity really helps.

Ask to have your vitamin D levels checked. Mine were very low and I was sick all the time. I take a combination D3/K2 supplement and have gotten my levels up to 70--I am literally NEVER sick any more (Ok, once ever year or two, but it's mild). You may need a steroid nasal spray to keep inflammation in check, too. Talk to your doctor.
Thank you Janknitz. I will not add anything to water. I think we're on to something with lowering the humidity. I always have it cranked because I get dry bloody noses in the winter dry months. It sounds like the Soclean is worthless in your opinion as well?

Mopheus

Post by Mopheus » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:40 pm

Get a refund on the so clean. They are false advertising bunk equipment. You can get your money back, if it hasn't been to long.

rswannabe

Post by rswannabe » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:44 pm

Mopheus wrote:Get a refund on the so clean. They are false advertising bunk equipment. You can get your money back, if it hasn't been to long.
I think I'm still in the return period. How often does everyone clean their equipment? I think it's a real PITA to do the hoses. I thought this was going to be a huge time saver, but if everyone thinks it's bunk then I'll return.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:58 pm

Rinse your hose and hang it to dry. Drying it will kill most stuff that probably isn't there to begin with.

I clean my stuff maybe once a month but I don't have sinus infection issues.

You will have to prove you are cleaning it regularly in order to shut them up about it and do their job. Keep a record like they do for bathroom cleaning.

You can ask them how they think the germs from your sinuses swim up stream in the hurricane to the hose and humidifier.

What is far more likely is that your sinuses get irritated and slightly inflamed and germs grow in the enclosed folds. The germs are in your system - endemic.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:01 pm

A lot of the people here do not clean their hoses. Others clean them weekly as I did when I first started treatment because it was recommended to do so. Now, I clean it about once a month. I use a pyrex measuring cup to pour soapy water into one end of the hose, swish it around and rinse it our under the faucet. The only thing that goes through the hose is filtered air that passes over heated, distilled water. The only reason I clean it all, is due to extreme allergy problems and asthma.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:56 pm

How do you prove you clean anything (unless you deliberately leave a soap/cleaner residue and they test it in the lab)? Are they going to come to your house and check you cleaning it at 11 pm or 6 am?

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:26 pm

I don't know about So Clean, but I'm in the camp that NEVER cleans my hose. I did it once and I could never get all the moisture out. IMHO, washing it makes it more likely to develop mold than not washing it. The CPAP machines and humidifiers do a really good job of adjusting humidity so that I've never experienced any rainout in my hoses.

With Asthma (and a Vitamin D deficiency), I had a very low resistance to upper respiratory infections, but my frequency of URI's went down significantly when I started CPAP--I attribute that to breathing clean, filtered air all night. But I did have one cold right at the beginning--probably because the humidifier wasn't dialed in just yet.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

mmorans5

Post by mmorans5 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:46 am

I have been using my So Clean for a little more than a week. I sent an email regarding an issue I am having and was told to call tech support. I did and Sabrina was no help. She did not know where to start or what to say except to "check with your doctor." My problem is that since using it, I have a "thickness" in my throat and my lungs feel "chapped." I know those are really goofy terms but I don't know how else to explain it.... Also, the Ozone smell is so strong...even though I clean my equipment at 7:15 in the morning and have it on a 12 minute cycle as suggested for strong Ozone odor. Has anyone else had these problems and if so, do you have any solutions? Thank you.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:57 am

You can't prove you're cleaning anything - just as they can't prove you're not!

Stop using the stupid So Clean. It's unlikely that it has anything to do with your present symptoms (yet, anyhow), but I'd look at seasonal allergies first. Be careful tho' about using 'non-drowsy' antihistamines unless you take them in the a.m. as they'll keep you awake all night. And don't sweat the hoses - big waste of time.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:04 pm

mmorans5 wrote: do you have any solutions? Thank you.
well, a smart person would SEND IT BACK.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.