High Pressure Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
badgerwooz

Re: High Pressure Mask

Post by badgerwooz » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:11 pm

I got the Amara View today and am having trouble getting it adjusted. Seems to be leaking on the right and/or side of the nose even on lower pressures. I think they gave me the wrong size. For starters how do I know it's the right size? Also, any tips on adjusting this mask?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:16 pm

badgerwooz wrote:I got the Amara View today and am having trouble getting it adjusted. Seems to be leaking on the right and/or side of the nose even on lower pressures. I think they gave me the wrong size. For starters how do I know it's the right size? Also, any tips on adjusting this mask?
You should have tried it on and had it adjusted where you got the mask. Whenever I have tried a new mask I tried it on WITH a cpap set at my pressure BEFORE I take it home.

badgerwooz

Post by badgerwooz » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:29 pm

I did try it and have it adjusted before I took it home and the tech it was fine, but now that I'm home it doesn't seem fine.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:01 pm

A common experience: Testing something in an office or even a sleep lab is completely different that taking it home and sleeping with it. At least, that's my experience.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

AcedDublB

Post by AcedDublB » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:25 am

Unfortunately after two nights I am returning the F&P Simplus mask.

It felt great in the first 30 minutes but the rest of the night it leaked badly no matter how many adjustments and repositionings I tried.

DreamStation said Mask Fit was only 11%, yikes.

AcedDublB

Post by AcedDublB » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:46 pm

I picked up the Respironics Comfortgel Blue model yesterday and tried it last night.

Unfortunately I tightened it too much to stop leaks and the bridge of my nose was quite sore this morning.

Results were poor, Mask Fit low percentage which is really baffling because I thought I had a very good fit, notwithstanding it was too tight.

The mask felt good and I have readjusted it slightly for tonight.

This is getting very discouraging after 5 months of changes.

Ogeo

Post by Ogeo » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:52 pm

I went through 8 masks before finding the right one. I use the Airfit P10 pillows. It is not a mask that is recommended for high pressure but it has been the only one that worked for me. My inhalation pressure starts at 20 and goes up to 25 sometimes on a ASV. For the mouth, I've trained myself to keep it closed most of the time. I use a lady's hair band and turn it upside down putting the big part under my chin. That helps me to keep the chin up. My AHI is running below 1 and the machine doesn't register any large leaks.

Hubby's equipment: PR System One REMstar Auto A-Flex model 560P. Doctor's orders left it open 5-20. We changed it to 8-20 after a couple nights. Start Date was 1/30/15. Oh, mask is the new nasal pico.

Discovering the world one geocache at a time!

AcedDublB

Post by AcedDublB » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:34 am

Ogeo wrote:I went through 8 masks before finding the right one. I use the Airfit P10 pillows. It is not a mask that is recommended for high pressure but it has been the only one that worked for me. My inhalation pressure starts at 20 and goes up to 25 sometimes on a ASV. For the mouth, I've trained myself to keep it closed most of the time. I use a lady's hair band and turn it upside down putting the big part under my chin. That helps me to keep the chin up. My AHI is running below 1 and the machine doesn't register any large leaks.
Both discouraging news that it may take a large number of trial and error but encouraging you found the one with some clever modifications.

Even tough I adjusted the angle of the Comfortgel Blue last night and reduced the tightness, it still irritated the bridge of my nose.

I thought I had a great fit all night with no leaks but the DreamStation a Mask Fit % of only 13%.

My AHI was 12.

I guess I will return it and try another.