Any one use the F&P Icon+

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rstokes

Any one use the F&P Icon+

Post by Rstokes » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:46 am

Hi All,

I've been using my PR System One APAP [latest version etc...] for 2.5 years now... As its an electrical appliance, some day it will die. I was wondering if any one has the Icon+? I ask this as A, it is cheaper, and B, I have [and love] the F&P Simplus mask. Obviously logic says, if the PR 561 is good, then stick with it, but the price difference is £300 (Which I could better spend that on a whole pile of Pad-A-Cheek mask liners)...

Thoughts?

PS> The only thing I dont like is the sens awake idea, I dont like the pressure too low (in fact i set the minimum pressure to 9 so it doesn't start too low on my PR)
Machine: REMStart System One Series 60 APAP with Heated Tube
Mask: F&P Simplus with PAD-A-CHEEK (Excellent may I add)
Humidifier: System One Series 60
Accessories: PR S1 'Vanity Plate', CPAP hose holder & a sanitary towel borrowed from my wife

Michelle-OH

Re: Any one use the F&P Icon+

Post by Michelle-OH » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:04 am

Does it help that I love my F&P washer and dryer

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:24 am

Rstokes wrote:Icon+
Is it compatible with SleepyHead software? If not, I would not consider it.

Rstokes wrote: I have [and love] the F&P Simplus mask
Matching the brand of machine and mask should have nothing to do with a purchase decision.
Rstokes wrote:but the price difference is £300
You don't say what the cost of either machine is. If you would state it, we might be able to find a PR machine equivalent to your current machine that is in the price range of the Icon that you are considering.

Rstokes

Post by Rstokes » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:02 am

The PR is about £1050 locally and the F&P is £700

Didn't know F&P did other appliances, they dont sell them here anyway - in fact never heard of them until CPAP
Accessories: PR S1 'Vanity Plate', CPAP hose holder & a sanitary towel borrowed from my wife

Rstokes

Post by Rstokes » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:11 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Rstokes wrote:Icon+
Is it compatible with SleepyHead software? If not, I would not consider it.

Thats why I posted on here... Is it compatible
Rstokes wrote: I have [and love] the F&P Simplus mask
Matching the brand of machine and mask should have nothing to do with a purchase decision.

Not brand matching, just that if they are good at design, I should consider them. For example, ResMed state the Quattro Air is quite. It isn't. Its the loudest mask I heard - some brands 'over promise and under deliver', and personally I don't use ResMed because of that
Rstokes wrote:but the price difference is £300
You don't say what the cost of either machine is. If you would state it, we might be able to find a PR machine equivalent to your current machine that is in the price range of the Icon that you are considering.
Well I am not so concerned with price to 'down grade' my PR machine. It was more that the range topping PR is more than the range topping F&P. Its like comparing BMW and Mercedes, if the top of the range S-Class is xxxx more than the top of the range 7 series, it doesnt mean I will get an E-Class Merc, its just a bullet point in favour of the BMW, obviously the rest of the package has to be taken into account

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:16 am

If you have a friend in the U.S. you could pick up a new PRS1 60 Series Auto with heated humidifier and heated hose for $444 and just pay shipping. The vendor will not do overseas shipping. Otherwise, I believe Secondwind.com will ship overseas, and their price is still half of what you're quoting. I would check there and stay with the PRS1 machine as backup/primary.

Rstokes

Post by Rstokes » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:37 am

Sleeprider wrote:If you have a friend in the U.S. you could pick up a new PRS1 60 Series Auto with heated humidifier and heated hose for $444 and just pay shipping. The vendor will not do overseas shipping. Otherwise, I believe Secondwind.com will ship overseas, and their price is still half of what you're quoting. I would check there and stay with the PRS1 machine as backup/primary.
Yes true... I will likely look at doing that for my next model (PR or F&P)

Just wondered if anyone had tried the Icon+

The PR is quiet, but the quieter the better!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:03 am

Sleeprider wrote: I believe Secondwind.com (sic) will ship overseas, and their price is still half of what you're quoting.
Yes, they have plenty of experience shipping internationally. It would be wise to comparison shop here.

http://secondwindcpap.com/

I have no connection with this company.

SleepyVegas

Post by SleepyVegas » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:37 am

I had a F&P icon. The machine lasted just under 3 years, before it would not power on. The machine could not be repaired. Just my experience.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:52 pm

After spending months researching APAP's, I went with the ICON+ and the Simplus FF mask.. Couldn't be happier. Although this is my first CPAP machine so I don't have much experience to base that on.

Much like the Simplus, the ICON+ is an simple, yet elegant design. Its whisper quite and the features are well implemented (SenseAwake/etc..)

As you indicated it might take some tweaking (initial pressure/humidity) but its all "customizable" through the menu. Works with Sleepyhead, and the F&P software (Infosmart) is easily found / installed.

I too was attracted to the value of the price ( I got mine $450 USD online) but fell it love with it after a few weeks of use, and I'd probably pay double the price today to replace it. It literally changed my life....I had mod/sev OSA and I went from AHI > 18+ the first few nights to down under AHI < 5 by the second week.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:58 pm

Guest wrote:It literally changed my life
That is a common testimony for CPAP, regardless of equipment brand.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:22 pm

Rstokes wrote:Not brand matching, just that if they are good at design, I should consider them. For example, ResMed state the Quattro Air is quite. It isn't. Its the loudest mask I heard - some brands 'over promise and under deliver', and personally I don't use ResMed because of that
personal opinions vary, of course, mine is that resmed makes the best masks, on average. a friend of mine has a quattro air, and I can't hear it, unless he aims the air vent at something.

F&P has taken a lead at putting diffusers on their mask vents, and that's made quite a difference in air jet noise, other manufacturers should copy that.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:37 pm

@Granny,

I thought most people would be able to infer that I was a first time CPAP user based upon the comments in my original post. So you are correct, the F&P Icon+ did not "literally change my life", it was the treatment of a underlying sleep disorder.

I should have left out any non-essential descriptions to avoid confusion.

So in answer to the original question, "Any one use the F&P Icon+?" my new answer is , "Yes".

As an added bonus you have now reminded me why I rarely participate in online forums or discussions.

GettingBetter

Post by GettingBetter » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:40 pm

Rstokes wrote:Hi All,

I've been using my PR System One APAP [latest version etc...] for 2.5 years now... As its an electrical appliance, some day it will die. I was wondering if any one has the Icon+? I ask this as A, it is cheaper, and B, I have [and love] the F&P Simplus mask. Obviously logic says, if the PR 561 is good, then stick with it, but the price difference is £300 (Which I could better spend that on a whole pile of Pad-A-Cheek mask liners)...

Thoughts?

PS> The only thing I dont like is the sens awake idea, I dont like the pressure too low (in fact i set the minimum pressure to 9 so it doesn't start too low on my PR)
I use this machine and like it. I haven't used others, but it has worked well for me. It is quiet and does its thing. I use the auto setting and upload the info to my dme and to sleepyhead with no problems.

I've only been using the machine for about 3.5 months and have heard/read accounts of the power function inexplicably going out. I have not experienced this myself. I paid $400 usd for the machine (new) and have seen that price since online as a sale price. Not sure if that will show up again or not.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:23 pm

Guest wrote:I thought most people would be able to infer that I was a first time CPAP user based upon the comments in my original post.
People did not have to infer that you were a first time CPAPer. You point blank stated it:
Guest wrote:this is my first CPAP machine
Guest wrote:As an added bonus you have now reminded me why I rarely participate in online forums or discussions.
Because you don't like sharing your success with others?