New mask PF Pro Nuance

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
footballgirl13

New mask PF Pro Nuance

Post by footballgirl13 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:41 am

Hello. I used to wear PF Wisp mask for about 2 years or so since July 2013. I finally finally finally purchased a PF Nuance Pro (gel) in early Jan 2016 to see if I like it. I got it yesterday and put it on during the day just to see how it would fit in my nose and more importantly, on my face. I loved that it didn't come near my ears since the WISP mask always went below my ears and flipped my ear lopes up at night. I have several hypotheses as to why my nasal passages are clogged.

Anyone with experience with this PF Pro Nuance would be helpful. Settings on BiPap 13.5 Inhale and 10 exhale. And I start the ramp at 11.5 inhale, 8 exhale.

I only used this mask once, which was last night. Upon sleeping I found two things:
1. The back of the headgear slipped up once during the night. It seemed to have moved the position of the nasal pillows during the night. I have long hair and i'm not going to cut it shorter. I slept all of only 4 hours since I woke up at 1:50am due to

2. I had a very stuffy nose and I just couldn't breath with those nasal cushions in my nose. For some reason, if one is clogged it is always the right one - even though I always sleep on my left side since age 13 due to a dislocated right hip. It hurts my hip to sleep on the right side. I'm thinking if I sleep on my right side, I might be able to stop this, but I don't want my left one blocked. Last night only the right was blocked.

however, I'm wondering if the issue with my right nostril being so blocked has to do with #1. Could the slipping of the headgear and the changing of the positions of the nasal pillows actually make air blow in sideways and make something inflamed in there? (I did NOT get any nose bleeds).

It did feel very weird having air blow directly into my blocked. nostril. (When I fell asleep both were open and man I loved the feeling of having that much air in my nose. It was great). We all know when we need to start mouth breathing due to this issue since this clogged nose thing is such a problem when using CPAP. I can't stand mouth breathing when going to bed.

Does anyone know if switching masks like this from a nasal mask to nasal pillows could potentially cause MORE clogged up nasal passages?

When I used the WISP mask: when I try to compensate for this issue by just turning the humidifier up to a "2" from a "1" all it does is make my nose much more runny and that doesn't help either. All I do at night with a running nose is wake up and blow, blow, blow and blow. Put the mask back after 10 minutes of blowing and get up 15 minutes later and blow blow blow. Then I get no sleep.

Other useful info: put the humidifier on "1" last night. Since November 2015, my BiPAP sit on the floor since I don't have anything lower than my bed to put it on. Chairs are the same height as my bed. (my bed is only 17 -18 inches high off the ground, not like one of those new box springs) to put it on. My mom's bed is much much higher than mine and she got her bed in 2007.

I'm wondering if my BiPap being on the floor could be making my allergies worse since I'm thinking all of the dust could get on that little filter from the carpet.

Note: I do have bad allergies. I sneeze about 100 times per day and each set is about 10 sneezes all right after one another. I do take an allergy pill for this when I have the funds.

1st half of study:
Total AHI: 18.4
RDI: 29.7
RERAs: 11.3
oxygen saturation below 90% during 0.4% of the time
Lowest oxygen: 84%

Weight
spring 2015: 202
fall 2015: 182 MBI 34
spring 2016: 194
fall 2016:

Julie

Re: New mask PF Pro Nuance

Post by Julie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:46 am

You could put a bunch of books on the floor under the machine. Or a box. Or anything at all. C'mon...

And if you rinse out your filter daily you'll get rid of the dust anyhow - the filter stops it from getting into the machine.

Have you tried using e.g. a Neti Pot nasal rinse before bed - they supposedly really work well. But you should also play with the humidifier settings as some people (myself) find they may not need it at all - it's a convenience, not therapy, and can cause congestion in some. I'd also work on getting rid of whatever it is you're allergic to in the atmosphere or room.

footballgirl13

Re: New mask PF Pro Nuance

Post by footballgirl13 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:12 am

Julie wrote:You could put a bunch of books on the floor under the machine. Or a box. Or anything at all. C'mon...

And if you rinse out your filter daily you'll get rid of the dust anyhow - the filter stops it from getting into the machine.

Have you tried using e.g. a Neti Pot nasal rinse before bed - they supposedly really work well. But you should also play with the humidifier settings as some people (myself) find they may not need it at all - it's a convenience, not therapy, and can cause congestion in some. I'd also work on getting rid of whatever it is you're allergic to in the atmosphere or room.
Yeah, I don't know what I'm allergic to! I did have a test for that in 204, it was a blood test and that is what my GP ordered since I guess it was "simple" and "cheap" and nothing showed up on that. But I still want a skin test.

And we don't have a good vacuum. I purchased a cheap one back in 2014 for about $99 or so. I never have enough money to get a really good vacuum, so I suppose this issue will continue until I find a full-time job that pays well. My first pay check coming later in Feb probably will not be enough to get a decent vacuum. With this part-time job , it's just not enough money. We use the one vacuum we have, but it does a minimum job. It's only a dirt devil and each time I remove the bag, dust fly's everywhere when we change the bag.

I used to use the nedi pot in 2011 for two years. I started CPAP in 2013 and that's just about when I stopped using the Nedi Pot. What happened was the use of CPAP made me us the Neti Pot much MORE regularly. Before CPAP, I was doing the Neti pot only once a week! After CPAP? God, every other day! That's crazy! I don't really like using it since (for me) it seems like an eternity to get the water out of my nose. It runs through very very slowly when plugged up and I don't like mouth breathing while doing the neti pot. My mom will never use the Neti Pot again sine she says "NO. I feel like I'm drowning!"
Now, I literally use the Neti Pot once a month.

I do - however - use the tent with the hot boiling water and euclupitus essential oil in it. I purchased that essential oil back in 2012 and it does open up my nose. it takes about an hour to open it up afterwards. It doesn't seem to work as a preventative message though.

1st half of study:
Total AHI: 18.4
RDI: 29.7
RERAs: 11.3
oxygen saturation below 90% during 0.4% of the time
Lowest oxygen: 84%

Weight
spring 2015: 202
fall 2015: 182 MBI 34
spring 2016: 194
fall 2016: