Getting very wet...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Stagecoach

Getting very wet...

Post by Stagecoach » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:23 am

Hi all and thanks for letting me join the forum.

I have been using a ResMed APAP S9 CPAP Machine with Humidifier for about a year now and it is not too bad but recently I have a problem.

After approx. 2 hours the tube starts to fill up with moisture and seems to make some weird noises (Gurgles etc)
I have to disconnect tube and dry it out before I can continue.
Any ideas what I am doing wrong.

Thanks
Kev (Aged 60)
Last edited by Stagecoach on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

yaconsult

Re: Getting very wet...

Post by yaconsult » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:55 am

It sounds like you're getting excessive condensation in the hose. The most effective remedy is probably to get the heated hose option as this should greatly reduce the amount of condensation.

The amount of condensation is determined by the temperature setting of the heated water tank so you could also try just lowering the humidity setting on the cpap machine.

Condensation can also be affected by the difference in temperature between the air in the tube and the temperature of the room it is used in. So if the room is very cold, you are more likely to get condensation and making the room warmer could help.

CPAP hose covers are something cheap that you can try and may help some but are not as effective as a heated hose.

Routing of the hose can also help. I use a $12 hose hanger that suspends the hose over my head so if there were any condensation in the hose it would tend to run back down into the humidifier.

kteague

Post by kteague » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:54 am

The only thing I can think to add is that placing the machine lower than your mattress level may help too.

snorernomore

Post by snorernomore » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:48 am

Hi, its called rainout. The only cause that I know of is the cpap machine is on a surface probably like a bedside cupboard. This makes the water collect in the tube and then of course it flows somewhere, usually your mouth and it is unpleasant. Put the machine much lower. Mine is on a plastic box on the floor, never had the problem since I put it there. Hope it helps.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:00 am

A couple of things may have changed to cause this:
1) Increasing the humidity level for the humidifier.
2) A drop in the room temperature.
3) A change in the hose routing so that there is a significant low spot where the water can collect.
4) A change in the location of the CPAP that creates a low spot in the hose position.

Possible corrections:
1) As suggested, switch to a heated hose.
2) Re-route the hose so that the condensation can drain back to the machine either by lowering the machine as suggested or by using a hose hanger to elevate the center section of the hose.
3) Wrap the hose in insulating material such as a Hose Cozy or some fleece fabric to reduce heat loss from the hose.
4) Increase the room temperature a little.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:58 am

Do you need the humidifier? I only use mine when I get stuffy.

Sheriff

Stagecoach

Post by Stagecoach » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:06 am

Thanks all for replies

What I think I will do is get a heated cover and route the pipe with a hanger.

I have already lowered the machine about a foot below pillow and humidifier pretty much needed else I wake up with a very dry mouth.

Thanks again for all your great suggestions..

Kev

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:56 am

Stagecoach wrote:Thanks all for replies

What I think I will do is get a heated cover and route the pipe with a hanger.

I have already lowered the machine about a foot below pillow and humidifier pretty much needed else I wake up with a very dry mouth.

Thanks again for all your great suggestions..

Kev
It's two separate things a heated hose like this one https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... ntrol.html and/or a fleece cover for the hose.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:49 am

Anyone new, planning to lower the machine:
Always put something under it, like a box or small stool.
Putting it directly on a solid surface floor (or whatever) may be noisy;
{{and on carpeting, too easy for a dust bunny invasion}}.
An old mouse pad or sheet of padded shelf liner will help silence the sound box effect.

russmac

Post by russmac » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:56 am

If you've been using it for a year without problems, and conditions haven't changed, maybe something isn't working right. If you already have a heated hose, maybe it isn't heating.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:58 pm

russmac wrote:If you've been using it for a year without problems, and conditions haven't changed, maybe something isn't working right. If you already have a heated hose, maybe it isn't heating.
weather conditions change, and if you read the thread, you'll see that the OP doesn't have a heated hose.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

russmac

Post by russmac » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:53 pm

palerider wrote:
russmac wrote:If you've been using it for a year without problems, and conditions haven't changed, maybe something isn't working right. If you already have a heated hose, maybe it isn't heating.
weather conditions change, and if you read the thread, you'll see that the OP doesn't have a heated hose.
I did read the thread. I don't see where it specifically states that the OP does not have a heated hose. When troubleshooting a problem, solutions are very often missed because certain things are assumed and questions are never asked.