Help make sense of my sleep study report? Trilogy AVAPS

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Matt00926

Help make sense of my sleep study report? Trilogy AVAPS

Post by Matt00926 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:19 pm

I can't figure out from reading if the "recommend AVAPS settings" are the ones my Dr. ordered the sleep tech to start with, and then titrate from there as needed, or if those are the recommended settings that I should be set home with on my Respironics Trilogy machine??? It reads as starting AVAPS at those settings, and then the tech states that AVAPS was systematically applied. Am I missing something?

I also don't understand how the hypopneas are recorded. How do I know if those are machine detected, and then if the machine kicked in in order to treat them? This sleep study wasn't a split night, I never slept for any period without using the ventilator.

It's hard to tell what's going on myself exactly when it comes to the sleep data since the Trilogy doesn't report it and is not compatible with SleepyHead. I have Direct View software but that just shows information like tidal volume, minute volume, etc.

Last edited by Matt00926 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ST
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Simplus FFM

JDS74

Re: Can someone help make sense of my sleep study report?

Post by JDS74 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:33 pm

Change your heading to include "Trilogy/AVAPS" and the folks who are expert on that machine can find your request and perhaps provide guidance.

The Trilogy is a very special machine.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

oncomingspork

Re: Help make sense of my sleep study report? Trilogy AVAPS

Post by oncomingspork » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:30 pm

That is fascinating and confusing.

The thing that jumps out at me is "AVAPS appeared optimal," down towards the end of the letter. This makes me think that those are the settings they want.

But yeah, an AVAPS expert would be better equipped.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:59 am

I use AVAPS on the Trilogy, but don't consider myself an "expert." However, I will look over your reports later this morning and see if I can make any sense of things. I have a suspicion but would rather study the reports before I say anything.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:19 am

It appears to me that they have you dialed in fairly well. My only concern is the Max Pressure of 30. That is VERY high and if the machine tries to take you that high, oy. They did that to me early on but my max now is 23.

What is your Target Tidal Volume? The way they have it written doesn't make sense to me, but I can't see all of it anyway.

The reports from Direct View WILL give you an idea of how the settings are doing, just not from a sleep apnea point of view. They will tell you how high your pressure (IPAP) went and what your average IPAP was. And are you meeting your Tidal Volume or are you under/over by much?

Matt00926

Post by Matt00926 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:05 am

Madalot wrote:It appears to me that they have you dialed in fairly well. My only concern is the Max Pressure of 30. That is VERY high and if the machine tries to take you that high, oy. They did that to me early on but my max now is 23.

What is your Target Tidal Volume? The way they have it written doesn't make sense to me, but I can't see all of it anyway.

The reports from Direct View WILL give you an idea of how the settings are doing, just not from a sleep apnea point of view. They will tell you how high your pressure (IPAP) went and what your average IPAP was. And are you meeting your Tidal Volume or are you under/over by much?
I believe they chose the Max Pressure of 30 so that AVAPS has room for its algorithm to do its thing. I've checked the average IPAP pressure and it seems to be around 25 for a night. The average EPAP is around 5 for a night but the max is around 10 - 12 (I assume it kicks in to target the hypopneas that occur because of my hypoventilation, especially during REM sleep).

My Target Tidal Volume currently set is 8mL/kg, so for my ideal body weight it is 400. It seems I average about ~320 after a night. I already have a max pressure support of 16; any higher and it feels like a turbine is attached to my face. A target of 300 would be 6mL/kg. I guess I will ask my doctor about lowering the target somewhat - I assume I cannot reach 400 because of my current settings, and also the fact that I have restrictive lung disease which naturally means less ventilation.

I've just kept the settings as-is because that's what the report says...and also I don't want to lower things because I can only monitor Oxygen Saturation, I have no way of knowing if I'm blowing off enough CO2 aside from assuming so if I can meet a certain tidal volume.

Matt00926

Post by Matt00926 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Bump...

I need help because I am still having oxygen desaturations below 90%. I assume this is mostly happening during REM sleep when the hypoventilation worsens.

My current settings are using AVAPS S/T (AVAPS-AE mode but with a fixed EPAP) because I can not handle the FOT's of the Auto-EPAP. Plus, from the reading I've done the Auto-EPAP is not necessary, and can actually be harmful, especially with restrictive lung disease (no overt obstructive apneas/closed airways). From my recorded data it seems it takes an average Pressure Support of 18 to reach my target Tidal Volume. Average IPAP ends up being around 20 - 25cmh20. I just have the max as 30 in case it needs to ramp up on occasion - hopefully I'm asleep by then!

Max IPAP: 30
Min IPAP: 18
EPAP: 6
Rate: Auto rate
AVAPS rate: 2.0
Tidal Volume: 345mL/kg which is based on ideal body weight