Dreamweaver Vs Tap Pap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KnH

Dreamweaver Vs Tap Pap

Post by KnH » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:34 pm

Looking at getting a new cpap mask, I have the wisp, too lose or to tight red marks/Sore at the bridge of the nose,
Currently I us the Swift FX, It has been doing great,lost some weight, now always re-positioning and leaks, cant find that sweet spot. I am a side sleeper, toss and turn, I use a mouth guard now, really helps preventing mouth breathing.

Big guy, large head, large nose, deviated septum.
So looking at the Tap Pap or Dreamweaver or suggestions?

Tap Pap, I us a mouth guard already, but it looks like the hose has a lot of leverage just hanging out there.
Dreamweaver, different nose interface secure headgear/ hose attachment
Last edited by KnH on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heart Jumping

Re: DreamWear Vs Tap Pap

Post by Heart Jumping » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:01 pm

Can't comment on the Tap Pap, I have the Dreamware and love it. The lack of something hanging off my face is just amazing. I am not exaggerating when I say I've had instances where I wake up and can't tell that I have a mask on my face, that's how good it is. There are a couple of long threads on it here if you do a search.

If you have a large head you may need to order the large "frame" when you order it. Most of the Dreamware skus come with all 3 nose sizes, but only one frame size. Medium is the standard frame size.

bwexler

Re: DreamWear Vs Tap Pap

Post by bwexler » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:13 pm

5 years ago I used the "No Mask". The Tap Pap looks like a new improved version from another manufacturer. I liked mine a lot except my nose is too sensitive for nasal pillows, it was always red and raw. If you can handle something inside your nostrils it should be a good mask.

You might also look at the SleepWeaver Élan cloth nasal mask. I am also a side sleeper and like the Élan. The last two years I have used either the Élan or the Wisp. After 5 years and a dozen or more masks, these are my favorites.

jagzoo

Re: Dreamweaver Vs Tap Pap

Post by jagzoo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:26 pm

I use both the Tap Pap, Dreamwear and P-10 pillows. I like them all but they each fill a different nich for me.

My usual go- to at the present, are the P-10 pillows but every once in a while I start feeling air hunger ( out of the blue) with the P10 pillows and then I go to the Tap- Pap. It has great air flow, it is by far the most stable, minimalistic ( no head gear at all) mask by far. I used it for 4 straight months last spring before I gravitated back to the P-10. I just tend to have more mouth dryness ( although leaks don't increase), I think because my mouth is opened a bit by the mouth piece etc.

I really like the DreamWear for when my nose gets sore from a cold ( which I have now). It is very stable ( I am a restless sleeper) and works amazingly well but I just don't care for all the headgear so will go back to the pillows which don't use all that head gear.

Anyway. All great masks! The Tap-Pap is definitely under-rated. Maybe because so few DMEs carry it. Mine is willing to special order it for me whenever I want it, and I'm due a new mask! Great DME.

Good luck.

bobmc

Post by bobmc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:46 pm

I've also got a deviated septum and find it difficult to use nasal pillows. I'm currently using the DreamWear, and find the mask extremely comfortable. No problems getting a seal, very secure for side sleeping. Main issue I had was if congested on one side and the mask wasn't properly positioned then had a feeling of restricted airflow. Tweaked my heat/humidity settings to reduce congestion and went to the next cushion up (started with a M, switched to a L). YMMV

klutzo

Post by klutzo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:06 pm

Noe: Even though my profile correctly says I use the Breeze nasal pillows, this post insists I am using Dreamwear. I'm not!

From reading the threads about Dreamwear here, I appear to be one of very few who cannot tolerate the Dreamwear nasal mask. Just in case someone else was reading and reluctant to post anything negative, I want to assure you that you're not alone.

Ever since Puritan Bennett went out of the CPAP business and I knew my Breeze would be discontinued, I've tried to find a substitute to no avail. The Breeze is the only reason I can use CPAP at all. I do not even know I have anything on when I wear it, and it is perfect for a side sleeper with prominent high cheek bones like me. I love having nothing on the side of my face and an over the top hose. The other reason I was looking for something else is that the venting from the Breeze extends in front of the body about a foot, and even with a king size bed, forces my husband to face away from me to sleep without getting blasted in the face.

I tried the Air Fit P-10 and kept it as a last resort, after failing with a couple of others with painful side pieces on the cheeks. The inability to swivel the nasal pillows on the Airfit P10 to fit my nostrils caused a lot of pain. Though I am female, I was given the male one, since it stretches larger, and it still was too tight and squished my nose like a pig, oink and ouch! (I do not have a large, round head either. It's actually unusually flat in back!)

The Dreamwear was fitted by an RPT from my DME, so I know I've got the right size, and I tried a larger nasal section in addition to the one I was told to use to no avail. I think a smaller one might help, but there is no extra small size. The side straps either dug into my cheeks or slid all around when on my side. I was either being blasted with air as if riding a motorcycle without a face plate, causing me to gasp, or I could not get hardly any air at all. Sometimes I felt like the power had just gone off, and other times was getting cold air blasts up to my eyes, despite a heated humidifier and heated tube and living in a hot place. I spent half the night awake adjusting the straps and tried it again this afternoon. My machine's pressure cannot be adjusted, or so I've been told. I was told it had to be done by the DME and only with a prescription from my sleep doctor, but I never have had to touch it when using the Breeze anyway. The silicone did not burn as bad with the Dreamwear as with full face masks, which make me swell up, turn red and prickle for a couple of days after only a few minutes wear, but it did burn enough to turn my cheeks red.

I went back to my wonderful, clunky old Breeze and went right to sleep. They are so tough they last for years, so even though I did not need a new one, I started getting one every time I was eligible, after I heard they would no longer be available. I have 4 extra ones and my DME no longer has any left now. If I am still alive when the last one breaks, I will likely become a non-CPAP user. I'm not sure that would be so bad.....

I've used CPAP faithfully every night for 10 years now and have not received any of the benefits I was promised. All the health problems I was told would go away are still there, and most are worse than ever, like waking up every two hours, panic attacks in my sleep, paroxysmal supra ventricular tachycardia attacks in my sleep, awful memory problems, etc. This is despite an excellent AHI of .8. Before someone asks, yes, I use a good chinstrap, an it is also the only chinstrap that works for me.

This seems to be a recurring problem in life, ie. you find the perfect shoe or bra that fits like it's not even there, and then they discontinue it. CPAP is no different. I know most of you would think the Breeze to be the CPAP equivalent of still using a flip style cell phone, lol, but different strokes for different folks. Just my two cents, and I'm very happy for all of you who get so much good out of the Dreamwear, which I agree is very innovative.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:20 pm

klutzo wrote:Ever since Puritan Bennett went out of the CPAP business and I knew my Breeze would be discontinued, I've tried to find a substitute to no avail. The Breeze is the only reason I can use CPAP at all.I
The Breeze may be unavailable to your DME for whatever reason but it is still available at various online retailers.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/purita ... llows.html

and I just looked on EBay and there was one listing for the headgear only for $35
along with multiple listings for the nasal pillows.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

klutzo

Post by klutzo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:38 pm

Thank you, Pugsy.
I did buy one of my extra Breezes at cpap.com, but could not afford another at retail, so that is very nice to know that they can be found on EBay. I had not thought of that. You've always been a very helpful person.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of posting on one other thread today, just to describe my situation as a sufferer of Lyme Disease, in which the apnea is often caused by the illness, and received a reply that was cruel and mean, which totally misinterpreted what I said. I was so shocked by how wrongly my post was taken that it made me cry and I've had to take a special heart rescue med for the arrhythmia it caused. If it does not stop in 20 minutes, I will have to call an ambulence. So, I am going to stop following this thread too, in case that person finds it and decides to attack me again, and I will not be posting here again. I am too sick to take this sort of abuse for no reason.

Bless you for all those you have helped here over the years.

jagzoo

Post by jagzoo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:52 pm

Klutzo,
I hope you are OK. I was so sorry to read what you wrote. Please let us know if you read this and at least come back to say how you are. Thinking of you.