CPAP MACHINE BROKE and a bad DME

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Roman Hokie

Re: CPAP MACHINE BROKE and a bad DME

Post by Roman Hokie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:06 pm

DeeCPAP wrote:
Yes, exactly!

Here's the follow up. I didn't get a call back from them so I called their emergency number AGAIN. They did not return my call so I called the number of the respiratory guy by pressing redial. He told me I would have to wait until Monday and they'd see if my machine was still under warranty. I told him it may not be because they replaced the humidifier (for the 3rd time) the last month of the warranty BUT that the humidifier problem started many months before that and that the problem probably isn't the humidifier because I've had three of them so it's probably the machine itself.

He said he'd bring out a replacement on Monday ... as if I can believe what they say....
What choice do you have at this point? I'm hoping he does bring it out. At no fees.

If you see me acting unruly, call me on it. PMs are welcome.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:44 pm

DeeCPAP wrote:This is a follow up: The DME called me back and said they don't have another machine, but they do have another humidifier. I told him I don't want a FOURTH humidifier, I need a machine that works and that I wanted to talk to the supervisor about this. I hope I get a call soon!

How many reputable DME's dont have replacement machines in case of an emergency... unbelievable..
you can't expect the DME to stock a pile of spare units for every machine they've ever sold. if you have a 2012 year model car and you take it in for service, you aren't going to get a 2012 model car from the dealer to drive around in.

the s9 has been off the market for a year and a half now.

do you *always* take the tank out of the humidifier to refill it?

when it "stops working" does the humidifier setting still show up on the display?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:46 pm

Roman Hokie wrote:Here's the thing about any business. Inventory costs them money. Their job is distribution. Get it in, set it up, get it out to the consumer. A machine in stock is not making them money.

Which makes it weird that car dealerships tout hundreds of cars on a lot...
which are all available for instant sale, not collecting dust in a warehouse just in case someone has a problem with a similar one.... which is what the OP seems to think the DME should do for her.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:29 pm

Dee, if you ever get tired of screwing around with the DME, you can get a new PRS1 Auto CPAP (HS560TS) with humidifier and heated hose for under $450 now. Amazon and Secondwind, both are carrying new machines at this price. I would keep after a supervisor at the DME that is supposed to support your machine. The problem is apparently not the humidifier, but the connectors in the blower.

If you have some elementary repair skills, it might be worth using some electric contact cleaner spray on those connections. It just might solve all the problems. Contact cleaner is available at auto parts stores, and it removes corrosion and dirt that can prevent a connection from being reliable.