Issues with memory retrieval

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tiredandscared

Issues with memory retrieval

Post by tiredandscared » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:33 pm

Does anyone have this weird symptom. It's like your memory retrieval is effed up? Say you're thinking of name "alan" it comes out as "Adam" or say "wrench" comes out as "winch", when you're thinking. Did it go away with treatment?

(Grumps, if you're not interested in answering the question. Please see yourselves out, of the thread).

kteague

Re: Issues with memory retrieval

Post by kteague » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:10 pm

Searching for words became severe for me until I got my sleep straightened out. Still do it a bit, but it is more just frustrating than being a serious problem. At one time it crippled my conversations. Found myself inserting lengthy descriptions, and sometimes if I described long enough I could get to the word, but who has that kind of time in a conversation? Example: Searching for the word spatula I might say "that flat thing with a handle that you turn eggs over with" and if that didn't get me there I'd keeping talking about its uses. I cannot say enough how worth it the struggle to reclaim my sleep was. It's about so much more than sleep, and regaining some of my thought processes was one of the highlights for me.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:09 pm

tiredandscared wrote:Does anyone have this weird symptom. It's like your memory retrieval is effed up? Say you're thinking of name "alan" it comes out as "Adam" or say "wrench" comes out as "winch", when you're thinking. Did it go away with treatment?

Tired... this may or may not have anything to do with sleep apnea. As we get older "losing" a word or changing it up a bit isn't a rare happening. It may go away with treatment but it may not; over thinking about it makes it worse imo. This happens to a friend of mine (61), who has no known health issues, and she just laughs it off. It happens to me occasionally and I do the same thing. I find it helps to laugh about things we haven't much control over.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:30 pm

kteague wrote:Searching for words became severe for me until I got my sleep straightened out. Still do it a bit, but it is more just frustrating than being a serious problem. At one time it crippled my conversations. Found myself inserting lengthy descriptions, and sometimes if I described long enough I could get to the word, but who has that kind of time in a conversation? Example: Searching for the word spatula I might say "that flat thing with a handle that you turn eggs over with" and if that didn't get me there I'd keeping talking about its uses. I cannot say enough how worth it the struggle to reclaim my sleep was. It's about so much more than sleep, and regaining some of my thought processes was one of the highlights for me.
My husband and I both do this especially with names and we can have a long conversation to get to the word and then wonder why we wanted it. I can say it has improved some but I still sometimes do the round about with names.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:25 pm

The technical terms are aphasia/anomia for your googling pleasure.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:41 pm

My aphasia is limited to certain names or nouns, and it drives me nuts!
It's always the same words or names, and mnemonics are no help at all.
I kept a text file on my work computer, with the half a dozen most easily lost names.
Any more, I just let it be. The list is short, and seems to be shrinking.
I do suffer from "doorway syndrome", where just walking into a different room
makes me forget what (the hell) I was looking for.

sleepwiggler

Post by sleepwiggler » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:51 pm

Mine was due to fatigue and when I don't get quality sleep it happens. I had issues with everything remembering anything.

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:19 pm

I'm beginning to have this symptom. It's distressing. At the moment it's still minor. Hoping it's not getting worse by the time I start treating this disease appropriately.

sleepwiggler

Post by sleepwiggler » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:25 pm

Proper treatment is important if it is related to apnea. I am out of work due to this. I let mine too bad, the quicker you get treatment and the proper therapy the quicker you will recover. When was your last sleep study. I made my do another and I had to from a cpap to bipap and I am sleeping better and my memory is improving.

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:53 pm

sleepwiggler wrote:Proper treatment is important if it is related to apnea. I am out of work due to this. I let mine too bad, the quicker you get treatment and the proper therapy the quicker you will recover. When was your last sleep study. I made my do another and I had to from a cpap to bipap and I am sleeping better and my memory is improving.
I had mine in the beginning of November. It showed mild sleep apnea (AHI 11, I'm beginning to think it's grossly underestimated, considering how rapidly I've deteriorated over just 9-10 months, it's probably severe). I'm having issues with adjusting to therapy. I can't tolerate the silicone masks ( they give me facial irritation, even the dreamwear). And the dental appliance presses too hard against my teeth. So I bought a cloth mask. Hoping that will give me better therapy. The list of symptoms I've experienced over just a year is crazy. I'm beginning to think God is playing a trick on me. I'm like in my 20s but function like a 80 year old with this dementia like condition.

sleepwiggler

Post by sleepwiggler » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:19 pm

tiredandscared wrote:
sleepwiggler wrote:Proper treatment is important if it is related to apnea. I am out of work due to this. I let mine too bad, the quicker you get treatment and the proper therapy the quicker you will recover. When was your last sleep study. I made my do another and I had to from a cpap to bipap and I am sleeping better and my memory is improving.
I had mine in the beginning of November. It showed mild sleep apnea (AHI 11, I'm beginning to think it's grossly underestimated, considering how rapidly I've deteriorated over just 9-10 months, it's probably severe). I'm having issues with adjusting to therapy. I can't tolerate the silicone masks ( they give me facial irritation, even the dreamwear). And the dental appliance presses too hard against my teeth. So I bought a cloth mask. Hoping that will give me better therapy. The list of symptoms I've experienced over just a year is crazy. I'm beginning to think God is playing a trick on me. I'm like in my 20s but function like a 80 year old with this dementia like condition.
I understand how you feel but if having issues adjusting to therapy that could explain a lot. Are you using sleepy head or resscan to track your thearphy? Maybe you could post some screen shots and people with more experience may be able to chime in.

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:50 am

sleepwiggler wrote:
tiredandscared wrote:
I understand how you feel but if having issues adjusting to therapy that could explain a lot. Are you using sleepy head or resscan to track your thearphy? Maybe you could post some screen shots and people with more experience may be able to chime in.
My other machine broke down. So I have a new one, unfortunately, the mask I recently bought was not suitable for me. It was causing facial irritation at the areas where the silicone made contact with my face. Which made it hard to sleep. At the moment I'm trying to adjust to the dental appliance. Once I get this mask. I'll report data.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:47 am

tiredandscared wrote: My other machine broke down. So I have a new one, unfortunately, the mask I recently bought was not suitable for me. It was causing facial irritation at the areas where the silicone made contact with my face. Which made it hard to sleep. At the moment I'm trying to adjust to the dental appliance. Once I get this mask. I'll report data.
I initally had skin irritation (blisters) but once I washed my mask and got the skin healed, I used PadaCheek liners and no longer had a problem. If you haven't tried liners give them a try.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

tiredandscared

Post by tiredandscared » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:08 am

OkyDoky wrote:
tiredandscared wrote: My other machine broke down. So I have a new one, unfortunately, the mask I recently bought was not suitable for me. It was causing facial irritation at the areas where the silicone made contact with my face. Which made it hard to sleep. At the moment I'm trying to adjust to the dental appliance. Once I get this mask. I'll report data.
I initally had skin irritation (blisters) but once I washed my mask and got the skin healed, I used PadaCheek liners and no longer had a problem. If you haven't tried liners give them a try.
I tried that. Even the area where the nose comes in contact with the mask, I start to it itch. Anyway I have a new mask. It's cloth. I'm going to.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:19 am

Liners are what you need. You can make them out of an old t-shirt or well washed underwear. Just lay the mask on the fabric and trace around it with a pen. Make any holes smaller then needed and play with it until it fits then make a template out of stiff paper.

Make it an issue to to make this work!

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal