Can an ENT make a difference?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
49er

Re: Can an ENT make a difference?

Post by 49er » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:05 am

tiredandscared wrote:Why not opt for mandibular advancement. It seems to have worked for alot of people with sleep apnea. It causes a significant expansion of the airway. And it seems to work, even in severe cases. The success rate is much higher than uvualplasty and other stuff. The problem just seems to be the recovery process.
That is a reasonable last ditch step for people who have given pap therapy and or dental devices a reasonable shot. Enchanter has not. And by the way, most respectable MMA surgeons like Kasey Li would never operate on someone like Enchanter who has only been on pap therapy for a short term.

Enchanter

Post by Enchanter » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:25 am

49er wrote:
tiredandscared wrote:Why not opt for mandibular advancement. It seems to have worked for alot of people with sleep apnea. It causes a significant expansion of the airway. And it seems to work, even in severe cases. The success rate is much higher than uvualplasty and other stuff. The problem just seems to be the recovery process.
That is a reasonable last ditch step for people who have given pap therapy and or dental devices a reasonable shot. Enchanter has not. And by the way, most respectable MMA surgeons like Kasey Li would never operate on someone like Enchanter who has only been on pap therapy for a short term.

Well that is why I'm sticking with it, so I can say I've given it my best shot, which I'm doing now.
My Current Therapies
- CPAP + Humidifier
- Allergy Shots + nose Spray + Hepa Air Purifier
- Cardiovascular Exercise + Stretching

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:13 am

The best ENTs are geniuses at performing operations that can make PAP therapy much more tolerable for people.

Yes, there are options for those who can't, or won't, use PAP therapy. It is a personal choice and a free country and it is our duty at a CPAP forum to be supportive and welcoming to people who decide to use other methods. Other methods may be inferior to PAP, but those methods save lives and improve quality of life for thousands. Who are any of us to condemn that?

Should someone give PAP the full try first? Yes. Does someone have the medical right to choose which treatments to use and not use? Yes! Are we sometimes overly enthusiastic about PAP in this forum. Most definitely.

My personal position is to use the best therapy when it works for me and when I can tolerated it. But if I can't, I would hope others would bless me for trying other things that can help me live life and be happy.

Good ENTs respect PAP but let patients keep their rights to choose medical alternatives once fully informed of the possible consequences of their choices. Just like any responsible doc in any field. Some of the best sleep docs I've met are ENTs. There are a few hacks out there--but hey, that's always the case in any field. When choosing an ENT, choose wisely.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:25 am

Enchanter wrote:If I see an ENT, how might they make a positive difference?
Jeeeezzzusss, the answers you get here. A consultation with an ENT does not jump into a UPPP!!!

Yes, you should see an ENT!

Schedule a consultation and exam with an ENT. He should perform an In Office Nasal Endoscopy & Laryngoscopy (http://www.tampaent.com/treatments-nasa ... el-fl.html) on your first visit. This just takes a few minutes to get a good look and make an assessment. He may also want to run some allergy tests. Typically, the only cost is a $50 copay for everything. Of course, insurance varies so check your policy.

Unfortunately, CPAP is not a magic box that cures all breathing problems. It is our responsibility to take care of our entire health.

There are many things that an ENT does for CPAPers, and these things are mostly not UPPP.

People that put this off often say years later, "I wish I had gone to an ENT and followed his advice years ago!"
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:03 am

Enchanter- please fill in your equiment profile. It lists which mask and machine you are using. We can give you help on how to adjust your mask so it is more comfortable if we know what mask it is.
Have you gotten any sleep with the mask on?

Darth Lady

Post by Darth Lady » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:40 am

What Granny said.

Focus on your nose. If you can breathe through your nose, you have a better chance of finding a mask you can live with. An ENT can also point out any other airway issues you might have, many of which don't need surgery.

Good luck.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:55 am

Darth Lady wrote:If you can breathe through your nose, you have a better chance of finding a mask you can live with. An ENT can also point out any other airway issues you might have, many of which don't need surgery.
Thanks for saying it!
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

riveter

Post by riveter » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:41 am

I have been struggling with CPAP therapy for 7 years with poor results. A CT scan of my sinuses showed I had a big hollow turbinate (concha belosa) and a deviated septum which made it nearly impossible to breathe through my nose. I had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction and now I can breathe through my nose nearly all the time. I still have sleep apnea, but now I can work on fixing my mouth breathing which causes me to wake with a dry mouth after a few hours on the CPAP. I have tried mouth taping and survived that experiment. I tried a nasal pillow mask and could not tolerate it. Now I want to try a regular nasal mask. Unfortunately, it is a process of trial and error.
But I would suggest looking into fixing any nose problems as part of the total solution.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:57 am

riveter wrote:I have been struggling with CPAP therapy for 7 years with poor results. A CT scan of my sinuses showed I had a big hollow turbinate (concha belosa) and a deviated septum which made it nearly impossible to breathe through my nose. I had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction and now I can breathe through my nose nearly all the time. I still have sleep apnea, but now I can work on fixing my mouth breathing which causes me to wake with a dry mouth after a few hours on the CPAP. I have tried mouth taping and survived that experiment. I tried a nasal pillow mask and could not tolerate it. Now I want to try a regular nasal mask. Unfortunately, it is a process of trial and error.
But I would suggest looking into fixing any nose problems as part of the total solution.
I've got some nasal issues and have had good luck with this inserted device which I use every night.

http://www.amazon.com/Snorepin-Solution ... B000BABW5Q

There's some tricks to fitting and using it, therefore PM me for more info. Sorry if I hijacked the tread temporarily.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:27 pm

Watch out for chop-happy ENT's. Some of them have delusions of grandeur or visions of dollar signs dancing in their heads and want to cut on everyone.

That doesn't mean surgery is wrong for everyone, but unnecessary or unwise surgery is a definite possibility. Along with bad side effects and no cure after surgery.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:10 pm

archangle wrote:Watch out for chop-happy ENT's. Some of them have delusions of grandeur or visions of dollar signs dancing in their heads and want to cut on everyone.

That doesn't mean surgery is wrong for everyone, but unnecessary or unwise surgery is a definite possibility. Along with bad side effects and no cure after surgery.
archangle,

I saw several ENTs when I started looking into having a septoplasty in 2014 before I finally did it this year. Not one of them was chop happy and quite a few made sure I had tried conservative methods like nasal steroids and rinsing before they discussed my having surgery.

One guy did mention sleep apnea surgery in an FYI manner. But that is because I didn't phrase my questions very clearly. He was also one of the surgeon who asked if I had tried nasal steroids to solve the problem.

I do agree you have to be careful but at the same time, I wanted this forum to know like I have previously mentioned that not all ENTs are chop-happy.

49er