Update/Thanks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dormouse

Update/Thanks

Post by Dormouse » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:03 pm

Hi again,

First I wanted to say thank you to the people who responded to my first post 'having a bad time of it'.
I'm sorry I didn't answer back right away. I caught a cold from my kids and didn't bother with trying to fix my sleep.
I saw the doctor and got an antibiotic which is taking care of it. I begged (like, pathetically, in a way I'm ashamed to admit, actually) for a sedative but this particular doc said he refused to prescribe those on principle and that I'd have to talk to my new primary care when I go in for my initial appointment. I really wanted to smack him about it because I'm so desperate for sleep but I managed to keep my temper in check and tried to feel lucky for the Z-pack because it really worked on the cold.

I did really appreciate the advice and encouragement you gave me. I will definitely download the sleepyhead software and see if I can find out what's really going on. I don't intend to give up on CPAP because I am convinced something terrible will happen if I stop trying. My mom died of a stroke very likely brought on by untreated apnea and I have no desire to follow in her footsteps. Still, it does get really frustrating and depressing, so I appreciate your support.

Now, to answer about my pressure settings. My first settings, done by a DME in my hometown, were 3.0-10.0, the ramp being 3, which made me feel like bring strangled. I dont know why I was ever set on auto because my study recommends constant pressure of 10. I have tried turning the ramp off but 10 is like a hairdryer aimed up my nose. Unless I tighten my mask straps down hard, all the masks I have tried will just pop off my face at 10 and between that and the high pressure I just can't settle enough to sleep. Also, setting continuously at 10 causes the fan motor on the CPAP to squeal. Wheeeee-ooooh, wheeeeee-ooooooh, nonstop. I haven't found a noise generator or fan that will drown out the high pitched squeal.

Lately, the only way I have been able to fall asleep even once is to set the ramp at 7, then keep it on auto between 7-10. Of course, this is waking me up every 15-20 min, but it's the only way I can even fall asleep in the first place.

Once I get the software downloaded I will be back with more info that hopefully we can make sense of. Again, thanks.