Water in mask and hose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jmsnyc

Water in mask and hose

Post by jmsnyc » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:45 am

I recently purchased an Resmed AIrsense Autoset. Last night when I used it I had to take it off because there was water coming through the hose and mask (water not humidity) , enough that it left a huge stain on my sheets. Any suggestions on how to fix this ?

Thanks.

LSAT

Re: Water in mask and hose

Post by LSAT » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:47 am

You over filled the humidifier tank...or...you have the machine up too high. Make sure that the machine is lower than your mattress...or...use a hose management system so any moisture runs back to the humidifier and not to the mask. Water cannot run uphill.
Last edited by LSAT on Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmsnyc

Post by jmsnyc » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:53 am

Thanks for the reply. It is likely your 2nd comment as the nightstand is higher than the mattress. I usually underfill it if anything

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:52 am

You may also want to check into the heated hose or a hose cover to help prevent rainout.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

SleepyCarey

Post by SleepyCarey » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:49 pm

OkyDoky wrote:You may also want to check into the heated hose or a hose cover to help prevent rainout.
Just want to second this advice. The ClimateLineAir hose is a heated hose that is an optional purchase with the AS 10 Autoset. It should help prevent this problem. Might want to look into purchasing one.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:26 pm

jmsnyc wrote:I recently purchased an Resmed AIrsense Autoset. Last night when I used it I had to take it off because there was water coming through the hose and mask (water not humidity) , enough that it left a huge stain on my sheets. Any suggestions on how to fix this ?

Thanks.
What you experienced is called "rainout" in this therapy. It's simple "physics".
It happens when the heated humidity is set too high and the warm water vapor condenses (cools) back into liquid form in the hose and mask. Having the machine and heated humidifier tank lower than your sleeping position can help, but it's not necessarily a total cure. And, if there's a low spot in the hose, it can fill up with water and then cause loud thumping sounds as the air tries to get past the water which is backing up in the hose.
Heated hoses can also help as can reducing the heated humidity setting on the machine.

Basically, you've got warm humid water vapor and a cool environment surrounding the hose......which causes the vapor to condense back into liquid form.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

rjezuit

Post by rjezuit » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:51 am

I get rainout all the time if I sleep outside (camping) and it gets cool, or if the windows are open and it gets cold at night. Minor annoyance, I usually sleep through it and notice the condensation when I wake up. This is with no humidifier, so I would assume it's worse with one.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:37 am

We can get condensation in the mask or hose even without using a humidifier. Our exhaled breath contains moisture and if the conditions are right (cooler ambient temps) then rain out can happen.
Humidifiers will of course add even more moisture and increase the chance of condensation happening...if those conditions are just right.

Not adding moisture by not using a humidifier or turning the setting down doesn't always eliminate rain out.
When it happens at the mask level sometimes water will pool in the mask because it can't make it to the hose to let gravity help especially if using some sort of hose manage system where the hose is routed upwards because water can't run uphill out of the mask.

The fix is to warm the air in the hose in some manner...hose cozy or heated hose or run the hose under the bed covers. For some people turning the humidity down or off isn't something they want to do because their nasal mucosa don't really care for the dry air.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:34 am

I require a very high moisture level and get rainout all the time. It's one of those things I live with
It is limited by the use of heated hose, by using a hose hanger so that condensation in the first 3 feet of the hose (the uphill part) drains back into the humidifier chamber, and by insulating the short hose (on my mask) that connects the actual mask to the CPAP hose.

If you don't require as much as I do, then you can also reduce the humidifier level in the system to lower the humidity in the air being delivered. If your mask has a connecting hose ( many of them do ) then wrap a couple of layers of fleece fabric around the short hose. You can do the same with the main CPAP hose or purchase a insulating wrap to do the same thing.

Here is a link to our sponsor's site for accessories including two different hose covers:
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-comfort-clean ... omfort.php

For other choices, search using the phrase "cpap hose insulated cover" and you'll get lots of hits.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.