Does CPAP therapy completely solve Sleep Apnea?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
stmykael

Does CPAP therapy completely solve Sleep Apnea?

Post by stmykael » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:53 am

I just started CPAP therapy at the beginning of this month and i am curious to know if this is something i will have to be on for the rest of my life? Does CPAP therapy after a while completely eradicate apneas? Thanks

Goofproof

Re: Does CPAP therapy completely solve Sleep Apnea?

Post by Goofproof » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:04 pm

XPAP, only works when and if you use it CORRECTLY. You need a full Data machine and it's software to tell if you are using it correctly. Sleep Apnea isn't like a headache, take two aspirin and your problem goes away.

Using XPAP, doesn't cure Sleep Apnea, it treats it. If prevents your airway from closing as you sleep, causing your O2 to go low, and stress your body uncessarly. For most patients, it for life, for some that don't use it it's for death. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:06 pm

No, it treats it, but if you stop Cpap, OSA will come back. It's very possible, however, that you won't need Cpap for life as such because technology is changing very quickly and there are experimental things going on right now, some are types of devices (but do not get sucked in by dentists trying to sell you some - as of now Cpap is superior to all of those), plus some ideas requiring one time minor surgery (but not the kind that ENT surgeons may tell you work today - lots of known problems there except for certain types of nasal blockage treatment which can be valid, though don't fix apnea, only noses).

Some (not all by any means) people who are grossly overweight and have successful bariatric/lap band surgery have been able to stop Cpap after a new sleep study saying they're ok, but just losing some weight generally does not work, though may e.g. let you lower your pressure on occasion.
Last edited by Julie on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:16 pm

And, as many of us know all too well, most weight loss is not permanent.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:24 pm

stmykael wrote:I just started CPAP therapy at the beginning of this month and i am curious to know if this is something i will have to be on for the rest of my life? Does CPAP therapy after a while completely eradicate apneas? Thanks
Yes, you'll probably be on this therapy for the rest of your life.
If you optimize your therapy (including using software to monitor it), it should eliminate MOST of the events as long as you're using the therapy.
It's not a "cure". It's THERAPY. If you stop, you'll surely revert back to pre-therapy conditions in short order.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:15 pm

CPAP is like a pill you take for blood pressure control. Your blood pressure will be under control ONLY as long as you are taking the pill. If you stop taking the pill, your blood pressure goes up. CPAP works the same way--it only works when you use it. It does not cure the underlying problem.

As everyone else has said, there may be lifestyle changes like weight loss that MIGHT reduce your pressure requirements or eliminate the need for CPAP, but no guarantees (but that is not a reason to avoid adopting a healthier lifestyle!).
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

teachcsg

Post by teachcsg » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:00 pm

Agree with all the above replies. I get this question a lot from new patients and I try to be as gentle a possible when I tell them it's usually for life. I do explain that losing weight may decrease and sometimes even eliminate the need for cpap but I know that someone actually losing 20% of their weight (what most MD's recommend to see any difference) is very hard and most people will not do it.
I will remind my patients that there are much worse things out there than sleeping with a cpap and for all the positive benefits it provides, after they get used to wearing one, it becomes a non issue.
Good luck!
Cesar Garza, RRT
Registred Respiratory Therapist
http://www.lastminuteceus.com

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:27 pm

And it's another excuse to collect "bling"! (Masks)