20 days...perfect stats...feel lousy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jan63

Re: 20 days...perfect stats...feel lousy

Post by Jan63 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:57 pm

Huge hugs!!! I have Arthritis.... So since I got on cpap!!! I sleep better!!! Which makes me sore in the mornings...I do yoga for arthritis... ( utube)..also the tiredness was from low vitamin D levels... Take 50thousand units of prescription vit. D....it took that tiredness away...I'm lactose intolerant and have many allergies... I set my humidity to cool!!! The heat makes me feel like I can't breath...I also take my allergy meds at night..Zyrtec...and never feel dried out. You could also be sick...but for me it was the low levels of Vit. D. Hope it all works out!!! Cpap was best thing I ever did...I can actually think straight now...my first night on cpap slept 10 hours straight. Woke up a new woman...now just try and get 8 hours a night.

Tdub210

Post by Tdub210 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:54 pm

I second Jan on the Vitamin D issue. I was significantly low. Dr. gave me a prescription for it that I take once a week, plus an OTC all other days. For your mask, if you're having to stuff tissues in it, maybe it's not the best fit. Have you tried others? Or maybe adjusted how tight/loose it is?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:25 pm

Tdub210 wrote:I second Jan on the Vitamin D issue. I was significantly low. Dr. gave me a prescription for it that I take once a week, plus an OTC all other days. For your mask, if you're having to stuff tissues in it, maybe it's not the best fit. Have you tried others? Or maybe adjusted how tight/loose it is?
Why would you need a prescription for something you can buy OTC on the shelves at any store like Walmart?

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Tdub210

Post by Tdub210 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:49 am

Den, I dont know. I guess it's stronger maybe? I take it one day a week, then the OTC all the other days. He said it's supposed to boost the Vitamin D and I'm to take it for 12 weeks. My level was pretty low though I dont recall what it was now.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:04 pm

Tdub210 wrote:Den, I dont know. I guess it's stronger maybe? I take it one day a week, then the OTC all the other days. He said it's supposed to boost the Vitamin D and I'm to take it for 12 weeks. My level was pretty low though I dont recall what it was now.
Is your insurance picking up the cost? Otherwise, if you're in a Walmart store, go look at their vitamin/supplement shelves and see what they've got and compare the dosages with what you're taking and paying for.
We take vitamin D and there are a number of different variations in dosages. We usually pick up a 2-pack of the D3 2000 IU bottles (I think there is also a 5000 IU variety) and there are 200 softgels in each bottle. I take 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening as does my wife, which keeps my levels in "normal range" for my blood draws. "Spring Valley" is the common brand seen in the Walmart stores and seems to be the most affordable.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Tdub210

Post by Tdub210 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:26 pm

Yes they're picking up the tab. Otherwise I'd just does up on the OTC. For the daily, I'm taking the 5000 IU per soft gel once a day. Think I could up that to twice a day?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:30 pm

Tdub210 wrote:Yes they're picking up the tab. Otherwise I'd just does up on the OTC. For the daily, I'm taking the 5000 IU per soft gel once a day. Think I could up that to twice a day?
OK. No biggie. Just wanted to make you aware that they're also OTC.
At present, I think I would suggest following your doctor's advice/recommendations.

Den

User since 05/14/05

Tdub210

Post by Tdub210 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:34 pm

I will. Thanks for the heads-up. I guess he could've just had me take 10 OTC's once a week. Or double up during the week. Who knows. I see him for my follow up on the new apap adventure and the Vit D level in a month so we'll see.

SleepyDeb

Post by SleepyDeb » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi All...Well, it turns out I was sick...and still am. Those body aches got a visitor of thick sinus drain in my throat; then it went to my nose; now it's creeping into my chest. I still feel achy...low grade fever (99.7) and just feel like crap. I can't help but think this was caused by my CPAP therapy. BUT...let me throw this out and see if it makes sense to you. I've only been using for about a month, and during that time I have not had really good rest as I've been trying to get used to the mask, humidifier, staying in one position most of the night, finding the right settings, etc. etc. Do you think that I was just wearing myself down even more trying to make it "work" that it just added to my sleep deficit and made my resistance very low? I am hoping this is what happened. I don't want to worry about getting sick like this again...due to my therapy. I do want you all to know that I clean my mask every morning and rinse out my humidifier tank every morning - and on Saturdays use soapy water to clean all parts - including the hose. Since I've been sick, I've done a lot of heavy cleaning during the week as well. I'm at work today, so at least I was able to function a bit - compared to the last few days being in bed...but I have continued - and will continue - to use my machine. I want this to work.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:14 pm

This might be what I call "CPAP blindness." We tend to blame all our problems on CPAP and forget we are still susceptible to all the regular ills of mankind. Doctors tend to suffer from this as well. You get tagged in their mind as "apnea sufferer,"or "diabetic," or "fatso," and their mind tends to get lazy and lot look for the real problems.

Your body makes a lot of adjustments to live with apnea. Sometimes, as it adjusts to not having apnea, you can have problems as it figures out its new equilibrium.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

ShelaghDB

Post by ShelaghDB » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:14 pm

Are you by chance a smoker? If so, u may want to read below and if not, ignore, but perhaps another smoker might see themselves here.

I went through hell in the beginning and was stuffed up every night.
I was told a million different things, and none worked.
I was extremely frustrated by the process and stopped asking for advice
in my case it was not helping at all.

One day my husband and I said we wanted to quit smoking and decided to Vape instead for a while.
Within 48 hours, I went from problematic sleep every night with the mask, although as far as i knew i had always slept well before the diagnosis and had never felt tired,
but now I did because of the constant stuffiness.

Everything cleared up. My lungs started renewing themselves again. But also, small little health annoyances, rather than issues suddenly cleared up. Small problems I had been battling that would not go away. That sort of thing.
Everything cleared up as it did for my husband.
I now realize that all those small issues were not age related as i was beginning to assume but related to smoking. We had just hit our 50s and figured these were the first signs of aging...lol (apparently not)

Don't know what it was in a cigarette as there are so many chemicals, that was creating this stuffiness only at night time with the mask on but it was gone instantly and I have never had to use that nasal rinse product again.
I just put my mask on, turn the airport on my phone so no calls or emails will beep during the night and before i even finish doing that, I am conked out and sleep 100% perfectly until I wake up.
I went from very extremely high numbers to most nights getting OOO now.

i rarely even have apneas at all.
and I still vape but within a month both my husband and I noticed our lungs clearing and are never out of breath now.

I bet I am not the only smoker that had stuffiness issues at nighttime that were critically impairing my ability to have successful sleep wearing a mask.
But up until that point i had never had an allergic reaction to anything but years of sleeping with my mouth open might have been related but i just wasnt aware I was stuffed then.
Took the mask for me to discover that i was...

Anyhow, you will figure out from trial and error as to what's creating your problems so good luck and hope you figure it ASAP.

 5k 27" Retina iMac,
 MacBookPro 10.9.5 13" 2.53Ghz + 10.9.5 13" 2.4Ghz
 iPad 4 16Gig + 3G  iPhone 5 + One + One 64gig CyanogenMod Version
 Apple TV + Airport Extreme

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:12 pm

SleepyDeb wrote: I've only been using for about a month, and during that time I have not had really good rest... Do you think that I was just wearing myself down even more trying to make it "work" that it just added to my sleep deficit and made my resistance very low?
Could very well be. http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/31/health/no ... mmon-cold/

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:51 pm

SleepyDeb wrote:Hi All...Well, it turns out I was sick...and still am. Those body aches got a visitor of thick sinus drain in my throat; then it went to my nose; now it's creeping into my chest. I still feel achy...low grade fever (99.7) and just feel like crap. I can't help but think this was caused by my CPAP therapy. BUT...let me throw this out and see if it makes sense to you. I've only been using for about a month, and during that time I have not had really good rest as I've been trying to get used to the mask, humidifier, staying in one position most of the night, finding the right settings, etc. etc. Do you think that I was just wearing myself down even more trying to make it "work" that it just added to my sleep deficit and made my resistance very low? I am hoping this is what happened. I don't want to worry about getting sick like this again...due to my therapy. I do want you all to know that I clean my mask every morning and rinse out my humidifier tank every morning - and on Saturdays use soapy water to clean all parts - including the hose. Since I've been sick, I've done a lot of heavy cleaning during the week as well. I'm at work today, so at least I was able to function a bit - compared to the last few days being in bed...but I have continued - and will continue - to use my machine. I want this to work.
Your cleaning routine is not logical. You cannot infect or reinfect yourself with your own germs. Your water and other machine parts aren't going to get "dirty" or infected in the minimal number of hours between use.
Too many people are OCD about cleaning their stuff.
You say you're at work. How many people are you exposed to at work? They (and your work environment in general) are probably the most likely source of whatever infection you've acquired. Does everyone walk around cleaning the door knobs and handles every time they use something? NO! Office environments are perfect places to spread germs and pathogens.

Den

User since 05/14/05

SleepyDeb

Post by SleepyDeb » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:16 am

P.S. to last post on this. While I am not a smoker, I DO have restrictive lung disorder caused by scoliosis bending into lung. I wonder if that is exasperated by cpap therapy. hmmm...

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:36 pm

SleepyDeb wrote:P.S. to last post on this. While I am not a smoker, I DO have restrictive lung disorder caused by scoliosis bending into lung. I wonder if that is exasperated by cpap therapy. hmmm...
I'm no doctor, but maybe it's the other way around. Maybe the scoliosis is affecting your CPAP therapy in various ways. In regard to your other thread, maybe the scoliosis is affecting the breathing patterns and your machine is trying to respond to variations in them. Maybe you would do better with a single pressure (CPAP mode) and not a range of pressures.
I don't know, but it might be worth a try.

Den

User since 05/14/05