new user problems - extreme sneezing and sinus irritation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gummybear

new user problems - extreme sneezing and sinus irritation

Post by gummybear » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:38 am

I'm new to CPAP therapy...still using a trial machine (resmed S9 with H5i heated humidifier) (mask is Airfit P10 nose pillows), 11 days in so far. After the first night I had sneezing the entire day and sinus pressure, irritation and itching in my right nostril only. I was told t reduce the humidity (it was on 3) so I did reduce to 2.5. Tried it there for several days...still no better.

Then I was told to increase the humidity because the forced air was drying out my nasal passage, so last night I put it on 4. Still sneezing today and my sinus is super irritated. I bought Claritin this morning and a saline spray. Neither have given me any relief. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Pugsy

Re: new user problems - extreme sneezing and sinus irritation

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:01 am

You may have to give it a few days and let the nasal mucosa stabilize.
I had this happen when I tried a setting that was too low on my humidifier..plus I have had it happen a handful of times over the years when I forgot to refill the water chamber and it ran dry during the night.
It seemed to take about 3 days for my nasal mucosa to get back to normal.

Google "cpap rhinitis" if you haven't already.

It's weird but the nasal mucosa react to either too little or too much humidity in the same way...they well up and cause some pretty nasty allergy like responses.
About all we can do is treat the response like we normally would while sorting out which way our nasal mucosa want to go...more or less humidity.

Use the Simply Saline frequently during the day to help bring the swelling down.

You may be like me...any my nasal mucosa want as much humidity as the machine will put out.
Or you may be like some of the others who prefer no humidity added or very minimal.
If playing the odds...more people lean towards the higher humidity than the lower.

Does a hot steamy shower help? If so, I would try maximizing the humidity and see what happens.
Bear in mind it may take a couple of days for the nasal mucosa to get back to normal.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

gummybear

Post by gummybear » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:15 am

Pugsy wrote:You may have to give it a few days and let the nasal mucosa stabilize.
I had this happen when I tried a setting that was too low on my humidifier..plus I have had it happen a handful of times over the years when I forgot to refill the water chamber and it ran dry during the night.
It seemed to take about 3 days for my nasal mucosa to get back to normal.

Google "cpap rhinitis" if you haven't already.

It's weird but the nasal mucosa react to either too little or too much humidity in the same way...they well up and cause some pretty nasty allergy like responses.
About all we can do is treat the response like we normally would while sorting out which way our nasal mucosa want to go...more or less humidity.

Use the Simply Saline frequently during the day to help bring the swelling down.

You may be like me...any my nasal mucosa want as much humidity as the machine will put out.
Or you may be like some of the others who prefer no humidity added or very minimal.
If playing the odds...more people lean towards the higher humidity than the lower.

Does a hot steamy shower help? If so, I would try maximizing the humidity and see what happens.
Bear in mind it may take a couple of days for the nasal mucosa to get back to normal.
Thanks for the tips I will definitely try the higher humidity setting. I had it low for a full week and it's only gotten worse. Hadn't heard of "cpap rhinitis" but I will read up on that too!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:39 am

You took Claritin in the morning?
Taking it at night works better. The generic, loratadine, is much less expensive.
I've been using it for years, oops, decades.