Help! Nasal congestion from cold/flu. Do I need a FF mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Help! Nasal congestion from cold/flu. Do I need a FF mask?

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:26 am

I developed a nasty summer cold over the weekend and spent an absolutely miserable, sleepless night unable to use my CPAP and Comfort Curve mask because of nasal congestion.

In preparation for the usual round of colds and flu this coming winter, does it make sense for me to invest in, or make my next mask through the insurance company, a full-face mask? Would that give me the full benefit of the CPAP even when I can't breathe through my nose?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. You guys haven't steered me wrong yet!

Stuffily yours,

Kurtchan

kurtchan

Post by kurtchan » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:27 am

Sorry guys. In addition to the congestion, my computer's giving me attitude.

The message above is from me.

Kurtchan

idahogal

Post by idahogal » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:34 am

I would absolutely invest in a FFM for the winter. Even the hybrid would be a good idea. Something that could compensate for the congestion, IMHO, would just make it that much easier for your body to be at its best to fight off the bug.

Patrick A

Post by Patrick A » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:38 am

Good Morning
I have had the same problem, I get a lot of sputum in my throat. When I have had bad colds over the past year When I can't use my Cpap I find that if I sleep in a recliner I can make it through the night.

Good Luck

Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"

CPAPSaves

Post by CPAPSaves » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:41 am

I have been using just a nose mask from day one and been through some colds and the fly without to much problem. I know this is going to sound hokey, but I use meditation to help clear my nose when it is blocked and it has worked very well.

I guess you could use nose spray to, but I have never needed it.

kurtchan

Post by kurtchan » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:01 am

CPAPSaves,

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm an opera singer by trade, so nothing goes up the nose or down the throat without careful consideration, so I think the nasal spray is out as an option.

However, I would be curious and grateful to hear any specifics of your meditation technique to clear your nasal passages. I've never been able to clear my mind with meditation, but perhaps my sinuses are a smaller and more do-able first step.

Thanks,

Kurtchan

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:58 am

Many people here use a saline nasal rinse. Can you use saline?

People have more fun than anybody..

ldemmery

Post by ldemmery » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:49 am

Try raising your head up, I sometimes find that when I have a cold if I'm sleeping in an almost sitting position, I can breath alot better. Or sometimes I just turn over onto my other side, it works too.

Lynne (in Ottawa)

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:06 pm

Yes to the full face mask-I'm partial to the Hybrid. It seems to me that the pillows, heat , and humidity help a stuffy nose. Someone suggested the air from the pillows sort of "inflatse" the nasal passages somewhat. Sounds plausible to me.
Saline irrigations work for me.
I've never been able to clear my mind with meditation, but perhaps my sinuses are a smaller and more do-able first step.
Using meditation-I can clear my mind but not my nose-does that mean my nose is bigger than my brain??? Meditation does help me sleep.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

CPAPSaves

Post by CPAPSaves » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:22 pm

Well... I learned how to meditate when I was 18 and had a car accident that almost killed me and craushed 4 vertebrae in my upper back. I had a girlfriend and some friends at the time who worked with me to help meheal my body through meditation. I learned to clear my mind to sleep at that time as well. I know this sounds hokey but it really works great!! The power of intention is a hugely positive force and you can do amazings with your mind to self help. I can most times fall asleep in a matter of a minute by clearing my mind, I can also unstop my nose good enough to get by, even if it is just one nostril is enough at the pressure levels I am running 12. Yea this sounds hokey, I know, but it works for me.

At first when I got my CPAP machine and I had the first cold with my nose stopped up all day, I was scared to death, but once I blew out all I could, forced my mind to know that it was not goign to be a problem and that I was worrying for nothing and retired for the evening, I concentrate on clearing enough to get the CPAP going and once I fall asleep, I never have any trouble. Intention to have my nose clear and comitting that to my subconcious works for me.

Yes I know this sounds like complete BS, but it is 100% honest and how I do it. I have had my CPAP machine for 2.75 years and I have never slept even for a few minutes without it. It has literally saved my life. If you want to call me and verify this with my wife, PM for my phone number.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): cpap machine, CPAP, Power

n2waterdogs

Post by n2waterdogs » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:00 pm

Hello,
i'm BWQVUWie, but I clearly remember being told if yoU HAVE A COLD OR CHEST CONGESTION DO NOT USE A FULL FACE MASK AS YOU INCREASE THE POSSIBLILTY OF SUFFOCATION, DUE TO AIR EXPELLED THAT GETS TRAPPED IN THE MASK. JUST PASSING ON WHAT I WAS TOLD, GOOD LUCK

CollegeGirl

Post by CollegeGirl » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:08 pm

Uh... that's not true at all. There's a vent that your expelled air goes out of. I don't know who told you that - I'm guessing your evil DME. I've used a FFM when I've been sick, and had no problems. In fact, I went to use my Aura a few nights ago and couldn't because my nostrils were entirely blocked, so I used my Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask, and everything was fine and dandy. If I didn't have that option, how would I have gotten CPAP treatment at all? When you're so congested that your options are a full face mask or nothing, I would definitely vote for a full face mask.

roster

Re: Help! Nasal congestion from cold/flu. Do I need a FF mas

Post by roster » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:42 pm

[quote="Anonymous"]I developed a nasty summer cold over the weekend and spent an absolutely miserable, sleepless night unable to use my CPAP and Comfort Curve mask because of nasal congestion.

Kurtchan

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:03 pm

This is Marie, not a guest, I've been guested.

I purchased a FF mask myself just for colds/stopped up nose. I've had to use it once. But, I'm glad that I have it.

Marie
Louisiana

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:13 pm

I didn't mean for the comment about my nose to make you think I consider meditaion hokey-it is a significant part of my xPAP therapy and the ease with which I started and continue therapy. Yes there have been minor problems to solve but they really are minor when I look around.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law