Struggling with CPAP - suggestions/advice welcomed

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gummybear

Struggling with CPAP - suggestions/advice welcomed

Post by gummybear » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:11 pm

I was diagnosed with severe apnea in REM sleep. I just picked up my CPAP machine on Aug 8th and my first night was a disaster. I didn't sleep well at all, tossed and turned and was super uncomfortable. I have the nose pillows mask and it was somewhat uncomfortable, my nose felt irritated around the nostrils and they were red and sore like when you blow your nose too much. I put some cream in the morning but I keep waking up at night with a sore feeling nose. I also find going to sleep difficult because I can't yawn or open my mouth...air comes out and I choke or my ears pop.
Since starting on the machine I am MORE tired than before. I can barely keep my eyes open and I feel absolutely exhausted during the day. Not the results I was hoping for. Another problem I have is in the morning I wash out the small tube attached to my mask and it's never fully dried by night...then I breathe water...and after my first night using the CPAP machine I sneezed the entire next day...had a stuffy nose and I decided to NOT use the machine the 2nd night. I did go back to it the 3rd night but I woke up at 4:30am last night and ripped that damn mask off so I could get comfortable and sleep. This morning when I finally got up out of bed I felt dizzy for a minute. And my last complaint is that the straps of the mask hurt my face...my skin is very sensitive and I find the whole thing uncomfortable. The straps don't seem to fit properly, they cannot be adjusted and they feel tight. When I lay on my side it feels like it's digging into my face and sometimes I wake up with the strap close to my eye.
If anyone has any suggestions, advice or tips...I would appreciate it. I feel defeated and now I feel like I sleep better without the CPAP?

ChicagoGranny

Re: Struggling with CPAP - suggestions/advice welcomed

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:23 pm

Welcome!

You are experiencing typical startup problems. There are solutions for all of them.

- Make sure the mask is fitted properly. (See mask manufacturer's video.)
- Make sure the headgear is adjusted properly (See mask manufacturer's video.)
- Make sure to use good hose management - the hose should not pull on the mask.

Nose irritation can be caused by mask headgear that is fitted too tightly or too loosely. If your CPAP hose is pulling on the mask, it can also cause nose irritation.

Here is a product many of us use to prevent or treat nose irritation - http://www.target.com/p/lansinoh-hpa-la ... m=lansinoh

Please go to the user control panel and fill out your equipment profile.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

Ducktowarter

Post by Ducktowarter » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:24 pm

I would ask to try a different mask. Maybe the nose pillow isn't right for you. There are some masks that cover your mouth and nose, I would call your provider and say you want to try many options. It is worth getting it to work. Hang in there! I hope it gets better for you.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:25 pm

gummybear wrote:I was diagnosed with severe apnea in REM sleep. I just picked up my CPAP machine on Aug 8th and my first night was a disaster. I didn't sleep well at all, tossed and turned and was super uncomfortable. I have the nose pillows mask and it was somewhat uncomfortable, my nose felt irritated around the nostrils and they were red and sore like when you blow your nose too much. I put some cream in the morning but I keep waking up at night with a sore feeling nose. I also find going to sleep difficult because I can't yawn or open my mouth...air comes out and I choke or my ears pop.
Since starting on the machine I am MORE tired than before. I can barely keep my eyes open and I feel absolutely exhausted during the day. Not the results I was hoping for. Another problem I have is in the morning I wash out the small tube attached to my mask and it's never fully dried by night...then I breathe water...and after my first night using the CPAP machine I sneezed the entire next day...had a stuffy nose and I decided to NOT use the machine the 2nd night. I did go back to it the 3rd night but I woke up at 4:30am last night and ripped that damn mask off so I could get comfortable and sleep. This morning when I finally got up out of bed I felt dizzy for a minute. And my last complaint is that the straps of the mask hurt my face...my skin is very sensitive and I find the whole thing uncomfortable. The straps don't seem to fit properly, they cannot be adjusted and they feel tight. When I lay on my side it feels like it's digging into my face and sometimes I wake up with the strap close to my eye.
If anyone has any suggestions, advice or tips...I would appreciate it. I feel defeated and now I feel like I sleep better without the CPAP?
Please fill out your profile with the exact make/model of equipment and all the settings.
Your experience is not uncommon but we need much more information to offer any help.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:31 pm

Ducktowarter wrote:I would ask to try a different mask.
Too soon for that! She has only used the current mask a couple of nights and it may not be adjusted or sized properly!
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

gummybear

Post by gummybear » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:34 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:Welcome!

You are experiencing typical startup problems. There are solutions for all of them.

- Make sure the mask is fitted properly. (See mask manufacturer's video.)
- Make sure the headgear is adjusted properly (See mask manufacturer's video.)
- Make sure to use good hose management - the hose should not pull on the mask.

Nose irritation can be caused by mask headgear that is fitted too tightly or too loosely. If your CPAP hose is pulling on the mask, it can also cause nose irritation.

Here is a product many of us use to prevent or treat nose irritation - http://www.target.com/p/lansinoh-hpa-la ... m=lansinoh

Please go to the user control panel and fill out your equipment profile.
Thanks for your suggestions. I will check out the manufacturer's video. The hose does pull on the mask...is there a way to prevent that? And I will fill out that equipment profile shortly.

gummybear

Post by gummybear » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:35 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
gummybear wrote:I was diagnosed with severe apnea in REM sleep. I just picked up my CPAP machine on Aug 8th and my first night was a disaster. I didn't sleep well at all, tossed and turned and was super uncomfortable. I have the nose pillows mask and it was somewhat uncomfortable, my nose felt irritated around the nostrils and they were red and sore like when you blow your nose too much. I put some cream in the morning but I keep waking up at night with a sore feeling nose. I also find going to sleep difficult because I can't yawn or open my mouth...air comes out and I choke or my ears pop.
Please fill out your profile with the exact make/model of equipment and all the settings.
Your experience is not uncommon but we need much more information to offer any help.

Den

Will be filling the equipment profile out shortly...I'm not at home with the equipment at the moment.

jim22

Post by jim22 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:30 pm

Some of your problems will just get better with experience. You may well end up adjusting your sleep habits to the CPAP. For example I used to sleep on my stomach but now that just doesn't work for me. It was tough for a while! Your nose may toughen up a little over a week or two. I had this problem too, and used a little anti-biotic ointment in the morning when I got up for a few days. I use a clip on a Velcro strip to clip the hose to the bedding so the hose doesn't pull the mask. Hang in there, it will get better.
Jim

Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, Swift FX nasal pillows mask

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:02 pm

gummybear wrote:The hose does pull on the mask...is there a way to prevent that?
This is an individualized thing depending on where your machine is placed, what body positions you sleep in and other factors.

Look at your current setup to see how the hose runs from the machine to your mask. You want to have things positioned so there is some slack in the hose that allows you to move a bit in bed without the hose pulling on the mask. The slack should be fully supported and not hanging in the air between the bed and the machine because gravity would cause pull on your mask.

I have my machine placed near the level of the top of the mattress at my shoulder. The hose runs across and laying flat on the mattress. I put a curve in the hose placement so there is no tension on the mask.

You might be able to figure out hose placement like this so it doesn't pull on the mask.

Some people use hose hangers. I am dead set against these because it is just one more thing to carry on the airplane and setup in the hotel. Try to see if you can manage without one. It is so much simpler if you get it figured out. (If you eventually can't get it right, plenty of people here can give recommendations on the system they use.)