Drying Equipment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kell24

Drying Equipment

Post by kell24 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:50 pm

Does anyone have any helpful hints on drying the hoses after cleaning? I clean them and hang them to dry but even after 8-10 hours they are still damp inside.

bdz

Re: Drying Equipment

Post by bdz » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:02 pm

kell24 wrote:Does anyone have any helpful hints on drying the hoses after cleaning? I clean them and hang them to dry but even after 8-10 hours they are still damp inside.
I have my first CPAP that still blows great. I attach my hose and put the unit on.

I live in humid Florida and have the same problem as you.

Additional Comments: Luckily the Oracle is not flimsy. Bought several. Thanks to JDS74, I have lots of inner flaps.
Peace begins with each of us as individuals

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:14 pm

You do not need to dry out your hose if you use your unit every night like you're supposed to. When you first turn your machine on at night the air coming from the blower impeller for the first five minutes will take out any moisture that is lingering and adjust to the humidity level you set. For five minutes you'll get a little extra humidity... big whoop.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:16 pm

If the dampness really bugs you, buy a second tube and use it while the first one dries.

Worldwar2

Post by Worldwar2 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:21 pm

I have two. i use one why the other is drying. i allow it to dry for a few days. i dry it in my kitchen on a small clothes hanger. put a towel on the floor.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:28 pm

When I wash my hose, I do so right before I use it, and not very often, like when it smells "off".
I just shake out the drops and plug it in. Air drying attracts more dirt than using it.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:32 pm

A lot of us never clean them - no need to, as air is just going thru a) the filter, b) the machine, c) into you. One way. No point.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:35 pm

kell24 wrote:Does anyone have any helpful hints on drying the hoses after cleaning? I clean them and hang them to dry but even after 8-10 hours they are still damp inside.
Totally unnecessary to even "clean" the hose, let alone dry it......when you're going to be putting moist air back into it the same night. That's a whole lot of wasted time you could be doing something else.
If you feel you MUST clean it, do it at night before bedtime and then let the remaining moisture be added to your humidified air coming from your tank.

In 10+ years, I've never "cleaned" either of the hoses I have attached to my machines (main machine and backup).
Periodically, I've filled them with water to check for leaks, but never washed/cleaned them.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:56 pm

As soon as you turn on your CPAP/Humidifier there will be moist air going through the hose. It's a waste of time and energy to try drying the hose. Also...if you do wash your hose, don't hang it in the germ infested bathroom to dry.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:59 pm

Yes, unless your toilet has an airtight gasket, like on an airplane,
every flush launches millions of coliform bacteria into the air. Yum.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:26 pm

I'm in the "why?" camp. Just buy a new one every year or so. They are pretty cheap.

hegel

Post by hegel » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:57 pm

My old humidifier didn't have an hygrometer to adjust the level of humidity; as a result, my hose and mask would be wet every morning.

My new humidifier does have an hygrometer and I'm amazed to find that I have proper humidity at night and no--or very, very little--moisture in my hose.

My wet hose would start to smell bad after a week with my old humidifier.

I'm thinking that the variety of opinions about the need to clean and/or dry mask hoses is tied to the quality of humidifiers and/or the general level of humidity in people's bedrooms.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:15 pm

hegel wrote:My old humidifier didn't have an hygrometer to adjust the level of humidity; as a result, my hose and mask would be wet every morning.

My new humidifier does have an hygrometer and I'm amazed to find that I have proper humidity at night and no--or very, very little--moisture in my hose.

My wet hose would start to smell bad after a week with my old humidifier.

I'm thinking that the variety of opinions about the need to clean and/or dry mask hoses is tied to the quality of humidifiers and/or the general level of humidity in people's bedrooms.
If the person uses distilled water, there shouldn't be anything in the hose to "clean". And, if the person cleans or changes their air intake filters on a reasonable schedule, there should be virtually nothing getting into the equipment. AND, if anything makes it into the equipment, the HH tank will then act like a "water bath" air filter and anything getting that far will fall into and remain in the tank/water. Only water VAPOR will be carried out of the tank to the user. Bacteria, virus or other molecules are too large to be carried out by water vapor molecules.

And, again.......if the user feels it necessary to clean the hose, do it in the evening before bed and the remaining moisture will be added to the water vapor coming out of the HH tank.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:38 pm

c'mon, Den, if the users don't wash their hoses, they won't wear out as fast, and the DMEs won't make as much money...

WASH YOUR HOSES, PEOPLE! SCRUB 'EM GOOD! YOUR DME NEEDS YOUR $$$$

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:49 pm

palerider wrote:c'mon, Den, if the users don't wash their hoses, they won't wear out as fast, and the DMEs won't make as much money...

WASH YOUR HOSES, PEOPLE! SCRUB 'EM GOOD! YOUR DME NEEDS YOUR $$$$
Yes, I know.......there are starving DMEs in ....... "_____________"(pick your favorite location).
We used to be told to clean our plates because there were starving children in China. I'm not sure how they figured the food was going to get there to help them out, but it was one of those things you just didn't question your parents about back then (unless you felt your life was lacking of some "discipline") . And, "smart-mouthing" your parents back then was dangerous.

However, the original title was "Drying Equipment".......and it sort of degraded from there.

Den

User since 05/14/05